- Ranked #1 in Maine by the Washington Post in 2012 and again in 2014, John Bapst is located in Bangor's Historic Broadway District, John Bapst is the state's only independent town academy that is 100% college-preparatory.
- The school serves 500 students and offers day and boarding programs.
- Boarding students come from Maine and from eight countries, living in homestays or dorms.
- The cultural and economic center of its region, Bangor is a livable, lively small city in a state renowned for its natural beauty and quality of life.
- The University of Maine and Husson University are just a few minutes away, and an hour's drive brings one to the coast, to Acadia National Park, or to Baxter State Park.
- John Bapst School is known for its superb music and art programs.
- Students and faculty form a supportive, friendly community with many activities for clubs and community service.
- Leadership, citizenship, and academic excellence add up to great college placement; since 2009, John Bapst students have gone on to study at Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Dartmouth, Cornell, Penn, Johns Hopkins, Duke, Virginia Tech, George Tech, Purdue, Boston College, Boston University, UMaine (including more Pulp and Paper Scholars than any other school), Maine Maritime, Bowdoin, Colby, Bates, Middlebury, California-San Diego, Cal-Irvine, and dozens of other fine colleges and universities in the US and Canada.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||510 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 10%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||45 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||11:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||17 students|
|Number of AP Courses||17 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus, AP Chemistry, AP Chinese, AP Comparative Government, AP Computer Science, AP English Language, AP English Literature, AP European History, AP French, AP Human Geography, AP Latin, AP Physics, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, AP United States History|
|Average SAT score||1675|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$10,460|
|Tuition Notes||For publicly supported students from Maine towns with school choice, tuition is set by the state at just over $9,000 and paid by the towns.|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$3,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Beth Campbell|
|Admissions Associate||Karen Bender|
|Total Sports Offered||16 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Diving, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Nordic Skiing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and FieldAlpine Skiing, Baseball,
Cross Country, Diving,
Field Hockey, Football,
Golf, Ice Hockey,
Nordic Skiing, Soccer,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||24 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Art Club, Band Council, Chamber Ensemble, Chess Team, Chorale Council, Civil Rights Team, Fall Drama, International Club, JB Peppers, Jazz "Improv" Club, Jazz Combo, Junior Classical League (JCL), Key Club, Literary Magazine, Math Team, National Honor Society (NHS), Outing Club, Photography Club, Sailing Club, Spring Musical, Student Environmental Action Club, Student Senate, Tai Chi Club, Yearbook Art Club, Band Council, Chess Team, Fall Drama, JB Peppers, Jazz Combo, Key Club, Math Team, Outing Club, Sailing Club, Spring Musical, Student Senate, Tai Chi Club, Yearbook, Chamber Ensemble,
Civil Rights Team,
Jazz "Improv" Club,
Junior Classical League (JCL),
National Honor Society (NHS),
Student Environmental Action Club,
- John Bapst - A Tradition of Excellence in the Beautiful State of Maine