Grades: 9-12 | 340 students
Since our founding nearly two hundred years ago by revolutionary war hero Daniel Kimball, the Kimball Union spirit of independence has created strong, self-reliant, community-oriented men and women, curious about the world, eager to engage with others, motivated by new experiences and opportunities, and most of all, well prepared to meet the challenges of all life's tests.
Beyond challenging and innovative academic programs, creative performing and visual arts, competitive athletics, and in-depth social programs, our greater community provides countless opportunities to extend learning outside the traditional classroom setting on our 1300-acre campus and beyond.
Born out of the gorgeous hilltop village of Meriden and nearby Dartmouth College, we are an integral part of a thriving and extensive cultural, intellectual, artistic, and outdoor community.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Center for Advanced Learning|
|Total Students||340 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 14%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||53 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||19 courses|
|Advanced Courses||Art History, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, English Language, English Literature, Environmental Science, European History, French Language, Human Geography, Latin: Literature, Latin: Vergil, Physics B, Spanish Language, Statistics, Studio Art, U.S. History, World History,|
|Average SAT score||1800|
|Average ACT score||26|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$55,400|
|Tuition Notes||Day $34500|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$23,500|
|Admissions Director||Lindsey Ratliff|
|Admissions Associate||Kevin Ramos-Glew|
|Total Sports Offered||21 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cycling, Dance, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Freestyle Skiing, Golf, Ice Hockey, Indoor Soccer, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Nordic Skiing, Rugby, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, TennisAlpine Skiing, Baseball,
Basketball, Cross Country,
Equestrian, Field Hockey,
Freestyle Skiing, Golf,
Ice Hockey, Indoor Soccer,
Lacrosse, Mountain Biking,
Nordic Skiing, Rugby,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||22 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Alpine Skiing (recreational), Architecture Club, Camping, Community Service, Dance, Diversity Club, Dorm Proctors, Environmental Club, Fitness Training, Foreign Language Clubs, Gay/Straight Alliance (GSA), Habitat for Humanity, Honor Council, Literary Magazine, Math Club, Model UN, Newspaper, Outing Club (canoeing, hiking, etc), Peer Tutoring, Photography, Student Government, Yearbook Camping, Dance, Diversity Club, Dorm Proctors, Honor Council, Math Club, Model UN, Newspaper, Peer Tutoring, Photography, Yearbook, Alpine Skiing (recreational),
Foreign Language Clubs,
Gay/Straight Alliance (GSA),
Habitat for Humanity,
Outing Club (canoeing, hiking, etc),
- ACADEMICS We provide a challenging curriculum for students in grades 912 and PG.
- Small classes with an average size of 12
- Constant access to first-class faculty. Our student ratio is 6:1
- Strong advisor program with regular progress reports
- Traditional college preparatory curriculum
- ARTS The Arts have long held a prominent place in the life of Kimball Union Academy. This fact can be clearly seen in the breadth and depth of our class offerings, our numerous extra-curricular options, and through the creation and utilization of the "H Block", a time slot designated solely for Arts ensembles. Whether your passion is instrumental or vocal music, dance, theater, or video, ceramics or woodworking, computer supported graphic design or traditional painting, Kimball Union offers the support of faculty, facilities, and opportunities to help your work flourish.
- The Flickinger Arts Center supplies not only the infrastructure to support your efforts, but a community of warm, committed students and faculty that make our work together joyous and sustainable. Come, visit, ask students, and see for yourself.
- ATHLETICS Whether you are playing ice hockey, soccer or lacrosse at the Division I level, playing football in the New England Evergreen League, or experiencing a sport such as tennis or Nordic skiing for the first time, you will be coached by highly qualified people who are engaged and passionate about the athletics they are coaching.
- The Whittemore Athletic Center houses the Akerstrom Ice Arena with a full complement of locker rooms, equipment and training facilities and indoor turf during the off season. Eight playing fields, including Pope Field, our lit artificial turf field, support our fall and spring programs.
- The KUA Fitness Center is open all day, everyday, where you can build a personalized program of fitness and strength training into your weekly routine.
- STUDENT LIFE Kimball Union Academy offers an open and safe community dedicated to stimulating intellectual curiosity while stewarding emotional and spiritual growth. Our Student Life Program is an integral part of a curriculum dedicated to educating the whole person. Furthermore, the Student Life Program is committed to discovering the most effective way to instill strong moral character, sound judgment, and individual integrity. Through a variety of opportunities, Kimball Union students will develop the necessary skills to reflect, critique and analyze in order to make a difference in the world.
- Living with your peers as well as your teachers strengthens your relationships with those in the community and enhances the academic experience.
- Residences range in size from small houses that accommodate as few as 5 students, to larger halls housing as many as 45 students.
- Kimball Union has a 6-day academic schedule with half days on Wednesday and Saturday to support extended student involvement in co-curricular programs those afternoons.
- The daily schedule includes designated office hours for faculty and advisor-advisee meetings to facilitate student-faculty interaction outside of the classroom.
- There are family style seated dinners weekly that promote community building and discussion.
- Morning meetings, run by the Student Body President, are held twice a week to inform the community about events and to celebrate student performances.
- Student proctors serve as liaisons between house parents and students. They are also a great resource for students with questions or concerns they would like to discuss with a peer.
- There are scheduled evening study hours six nights per week to help students manage their workload.
- All-school and special interest cultural events and social programs abound.
Profile last updated: 01/05/2016
Nearby Private Schools:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
LebanonGrades: PK-K | 61 students
1 Medical Center Drive
Lebanon, NH 03756
PlainfieldGrades: K-8 | 13 students
1050 Route 12A
Plainfield, NH 03781
HartfordGrades: NS-12 | 42 students
Po Box 620
Hartford, VT 05047
LebanonGrades: PK-KG | 63 students
Po Box 638
Lebanon, NH 03766
New LondonGrades: PK-KG | 53 students
541 Main St
New London, NH 03257
Rental Market Monitor
January 25, 2016
This is a very practical list of things you must do before you graduate. The items on this list will enhance your college applications.
January 08, 2016
Here are my picks for 'must have' web sites when it comes to finding out about private K-12 schools.
January 05, 2016
Many parents search for an answer to the question "How do I provide the kind of religious education I want for my child?" Religious education is a very personal, subjective matter. We explore some of your options.