Grades: NS-6 | 132 students
Every single child enrolled in 2012 painted a tile that became part of this student designed mural now located at our front office.
Montessori Children’s House of Durham (MCHD) lays foundations for intellectual, moral, emotional, physical, social, and spiritual competence in our students.
We shape young people who have a sense of the grand order of the universe, who can assume their rights and responsibilities, find joy in learning, and who delight among the peoples and in the places where they live.
To accomplish these goals, MCHD implements classic Montessori principles of respect for the child’s capabilities, preparation of the environment in which the child can be successful, and observation of each learner’s style and progress.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)
Other Montessori association(s)
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-6|
|Total Students||132 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 18%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||18 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 31 / rolling|
- Montessori Children’s House of Durham (MCHD) lays foundations for intellectual, moral, emotional, physical, social, and spiritual competence in our students. We shape young people who have a sense of the grand order of the universe, who can assume their rights and responsibilities, find joy in learning, and who delight among the peoples and in the places where they live.
- To accomplish these goals, MCHD implements the classical Montessori principles: the development of concentration, order, and coordination, which foster the discipline required for independence. These skills enable the child’s freedom of inquiry, while multi-age classrooms promote individualized education. Confidence and enthusiasm is gained from the ability to self-initiate and from success.
- These principles provide the framework for every level of our work -- the layout of the classroom, the design of the curriculum, the modeling of each activity, and the intention of each lesson with the individual child. The teachers each day guide children toward learning to make decisions in their practical lives, exploring a myriad of sensory experiences, savoring the power of words, reveling in the elegance of mathematics, cultivating their unique voice through the arts, discovering continents and cultures in geography, observing the marvelous wonders of the natural world, and linking the past to the present through historical studies
- In addition to our outstanding teaching staff, our programs are also set apart by a dedication to Montessori’s foundation in respect for the child. At MCHD, we respect the child’s innate desire to learn and inborn power to be competent. Moreover, teaching children to be responsible members of their community, and imparting the skills they need to problem-solve and resolve conflicts, is as important as academic instruction. Students learn to care for themselves, for others, and for their environment, and practice community responsibility and service as part of the curriculum. Each classroom becomes a community built on respect and trust.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
DurhamGrades: PK-8 | 250 students
4512 Pope Road
Durham, NC 27707
DurhamGrades: K-6 | 103 students
3001 Academy Rd Ste 300
Durham, NC 27707
DurhamGrades: K-1 | 28 students
6701 Garrett Road
Durham, NC 27707
MauldinGrades: 1-5 | 56 students
Po Box 743 205-b E Butler Rd
Mauldin, SC 29662
AndersonGrades: NS-12 | 211 students
280 Sam McGee Road
Anderson, SC 29621