Grades: NS-6 | 132 students
Every single child enrolled in 2012 painted a tile that became part of this student designed mural now located at our front office.
Montessori Children’s House of Durham (MCHD) lays foundations for intellectual, moral, emotional, physical, social, and spiritual competence in our students.
We shape young people who have a sense of the grand order of the universe, who can assume their rights and responsibilities, find joy in learning, and who delight among the peoples and in the places where they live.
To accomplish these goals, MCHD implements classic Montessori principles of respect for the child’s capabilities, preparation of the environment in which the child can be successful, and observation of each learner’s style and progress.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)
Other Montessori association(s)
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-6|
|Total Students||132 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 18%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||18 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 31 / rolling|
- Montessori Children’s House of Durham (MCHD) lays foundations for intellectual, moral, emotional, physical, social, and spiritual competence in our students. We shape young people who have a sense of the grand order of the universe, who can assume their rights and responsibilities, find joy in learning, and who delight among the peoples and in the places where they live.
- To accomplish these goals, MCHD implements the classical Montessori principles: the development of concentration, order, and coordination, which foster the discipline required for independence. These skills enable the child’s freedom of inquiry, while multi-age classrooms promote individualized education. Confidence and enthusiasm is gained from the ability to self-initiate and from success.
- These principles provide the framework for every level of our work -- the layout of the classroom, the design of the curriculum, the modeling of each activity, and the intention of each lesson with the individual child. The teachers each day guide children toward learning to make decisions in their practical lives, exploring a myriad of sensory experiences, savoring the power of words, reveling in the elegance of mathematics, cultivating their unique voice through the arts, discovering continents and cultures in geography, observing the marvelous wonders of the natural world, and linking the past to the present through historical studies
- In addition to our outstanding teaching staff, our programs are also set apart by a dedication to Montessori’s foundation in respect for the child. At MCHD, we respect the child’s innate desire to learn and inborn power to be competent. Moreover, teaching children to be responsible members of their community, and imparting the skills they need to problem-solve and resolve conflicts, is as important as academic instruction. Students learn to care for themselves, for others, and for their environment, and practice community responsibility and service as part of the curriculum. Each classroom becomes a community built on respect and trust.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
DurhamGrades: PK-6 | 103 students
3001 Academy Rd Ste 300
Durham, NC 27707
DurhamGrades: K-1 | 28 students
6701 Garrett Road
Durham, NC 27707
DurhamGrades: PK-8 | 256 students
4512 Pope Road
Durham, NC 27707
Chapel HillGrades: PK-12 | 329 students
6211 New Jericho Rd
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
RaleighGrades: PK-12 | 1185 students
7409 Falls Of Neuse Rd
Raleigh, NC 27615
I have one child that has graduated and one child remaining in elementary school. What a great foundation this school and the Montessori method has provided our children to succeed academically. My children have a love of learning and more importantly a discipline and focus to get any work done. I credit MCHD's teachers and curriculum with providing the environment for my children to obtain these skills that will be with them forever.
- Posted by Parent - mered
Hands down, the best school in Durham! I could not ask for a better place for my daughter. I have watched my daughter develop into a self confident and intelligent young lady in the last year and a half and know that much of the credit is due to her teacher and MCHD. At only the age of 5, she is reading to herself, performing simple math calculations in her head for fun, and can name all seven continents without skipping a beat! Not to mention singing a new song practically every day and coming home to teach us all yoga! As if that isn't enough, I am constantly amazed at the genuine, polite elementary students that I encounter daily. These children are happy and content at just being a part of society and being who they are. Every child on the MCHD campus is what I think we hope all children can be - children! I am honored to be a part of this school. Our family is excited for the new campus and the opportunities that will give this community for expanded offerings. Montessori Children's House of Durham is an oasis for children and families. You will not be disappointed.
- Posted by Parent - marcy
January 11, 2017
Letters of interest and cover letters are frequently used interchangeably even though they have different purposes.
January 03, 2017
When you visit schools, please don't make the following common mistakes. A little thought and preparation will help you make the best impression possible.
December 21, 2016
Bullying has gone electronic. It's called cyberbullying and it is rampant.