Grades: PK-12 | 228 students
Oak Grove School was founded in 1975 by Jiddu Krishnamurti, a renowned teacher of the 20th century whose educational philosophy focused on academically strong, inquiry-based learning in a noncompetitive environment, respect for the nature and an understanding of one's self and the global community.
The intent of the Oak Grove School is for students to develop the skills necessary to function in society, and at the same time to develop a foundation for inquiry into perennial questions of human life. Small classes in a natural environment are guided by experienced teachers who encourage discovery and inquiry while supporting exceptional academic, creative and personal growth.
Oak Grove School is a visual oasis, a peaceful, yet dynamic environment rich with opportunities for traditional and non-traditional learning.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Independent Private Schools Association
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||228 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||30 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Average SAT score||1914|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Please see tuition and fee schedule on website.|
|% on Financial Aid||
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Joy Maguire-Parsons|
|Admissions Associate||Andy Gilman|
- Oak Grove students learn to use their minds, their bodies, and their hearts well because the overarching themes expressed in the Art of Living and Learning are embedded in the school`s culture, curriculum, classroom practice, and expectations of student learning.
- The Art of Inquiry
- observation questioning fact-finding research self-reflection
- The Art of Communication
- speaking writing listening collaboration
- The Art of Academia
- knowledge and application of academic standards, conventions, and disciplines in core subject areas
- The Art of Engagement
- attention self-direction self-motivation self-regulation metacognition or learning how one learns examining one`s own thinking
- The Art of Aesthetics
- sensitivity and appreciation of beauty in all forms finding the artist within artistic expression
- The Art of Caring & Relationship
- Self: self-understanding and awareness making healthy choices
- Others: self-reflection and awareness in relationship non-violent communication service to the common good
- Local & Global Communities: service and citizenship
- The Environment: mindful stewardship
- Oak Grove School is a living, learning community and therefore these "arts" should not be perceived as fixed but dynamic in nature and in a constant state of review.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
OjaiGrades: PK-12 | 293 students
723 El Paseo Road
Ojai, CA 93023
OjaiGrades: 9-12 | 266 students
12096 N Ventura Avenue
Ojai, CA 93023
OjaiGrades: 9-12 | 250 students
5025 Thacher Road
Ojai, CA 93023
AndoverGrades: 9-12 | 1138 students
180 Main Street
Andover, MA 01810
CarpinteriaGrades: 9-12 | 280 students
1960 Cate Mesa Road
Carpinteria, CA 93013
My son has attended Oak Grove School for the last six years. The learning environment is very supportive of the individual needs of each student while balancing the overall needs of the group. I have watched my son's love of learning grow as his education progresses. I am happy to be a part of the Oak Grove community.
- Posted by Parent - j_ste
Oak Grove School has been the best for our son. He began in junior high and is now in high school. The academics are balanced and engaging, the camping, sports, art, and music are spectacular. Finally, the beautiful campus and sense of community make this a unique place. I highly recommend it.
- Posted by Parent - andre
January 11, 2017
Letters of interest and cover letters are frequently used interchangeably even though they have different purposes.
January 03, 2017
When you visit schools, please don't make the following common mistakes. A little thought and preparation will help you make the best impression possible.
December 21, 2016
Bullying has gone electronic. It's called cyberbullying and it is rampant.