Grades: 6-12 | 38 students
Oakwood School is a non-profit, non-sectarian New Jersey Private School for the Disabled.
The school serves adolescents age 12-21 in grades 6 through 12.
Twenty-Five school districts in Monmouth, Ocean, Middlesex, Mercer and Union counties entrust Oakwood School to educate their special needs children.
Our primary population is learning and/or language impaired children with concomitant social or behavior issues.
Many of our students are school phobic, anxious and high functioning Autism.
Our nurturing program incorporates school-wide Collaborative Problem Solving, positive behavioral supports and token economies.
The teaching staff is highly qualified and our counseling support staff (2) are highly trained, and dedicated to enriching the lives of their students.
Our less than 3-1 staff/student ratio, combined with a small intimate setting, is conducive to maximizing learning and personal growth. The school provides a safe, caring atmosphere that encourages students to develop their academic potential, self-control, and enhances their sense of self-esteem.
This blend of socialization experiences and academic programming maximizes the acquisition of basic skills in the N.J. Common Core Curriculum subjects, thereby enabling students to function as independently as possible upon graduation.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Private Special Education Centers
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Learning Disabilities, High Functioning Asperger, School Phobic|
|Total Students||38 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 31%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||12 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||7 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$48,865|
|Tuition Notes||We accept private and public school tuition|
|Admissions Director||Robert E. White, Ed.D.|
- For over 36 years, Oakwood School has been meeting the educational, social and emotional needs of students with learning and emotional disabilities. Along with our Collaborative Problem Solving paradigm, our small, nurturing school incorporates school-wide positive behavioral supports and token economies. This is ideal for learning disabled students who have difficulty reaching their potential in departmentalized, large school environments. Oakwood School offers students:
- - a small, safe, structured environment for middle school and high school students;
- - a strong departmental/selfcontained academic program for students with learning disabilities, ADHD, behavior disorders, high functioning autism/Aspergers, school phobias, anxiety disorders, OCD, and mild to moderate ODD;
- - a therapeutic setting with two counselors;
- - an experienced and highly qualified staff and administration;
- - 17 teachers and aides for 38 students (a less than 3-1 student to staff ratio); and
- - an emphasis on "Transitioning" into the post high school world, including vocational counseling, job placement and Brookdale Community College Fast Start enrollment.
- For a complete overview of our school and programs, please visit our Web site: OakwoodSchool.net.
Profile last updated: 07/16/2015
Nearby Private Schools:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Tinton FallsGrades: PK-KG | 36 students
4 Hartford Dr
Tinton Falls, NJ 07701
ShrewsburyGrades: K | 37 students
174 Patterson Ave
Shrewsbury, NJ 07702
ShrewsburyGrades: NS-6 | 75 students
35 White Road
Shrewsbury, NJ 07702
Red BankGrades: PK-8 | 572 students
30 Peters Pl
Red Bank, NJ 07701
Red BankGrades: 9-12 | 989 students
112 Broad Street
Red Bank, NJ 07701
Rental Market Monitor
January 25, 2016
This is a very practical list of things you must do before you graduate. The items on this list will enhance your college applications.
January 08, 2016
Here are my picks for 'must have' web sites when it comes to finding out about private K-12 schools.
January 05, 2016
Many parents search for an answer to the question "How do I provide the kind of religious education I want for my child?" Religious education is a very personal, subjective matter. We explore some of your options.