Grades: 6-12 | 38 students
Oakwood School is a non-profit, non-sectarian New Jersey Private School for the Disabled.
The school serves adolescents age 12-21 in grades 6 through 12.
Twenty-Five school districts in Monmouth, Ocean, Middlesex, Mercer and Union counties entrust Oakwood School to educate their special needs children.
Our primary population is learning and/or language impaired children with concomitant social or behavior issues.
Many of our students are school phobic, anxious and high functioning Autism.
Our nurturing program incorporates school-wide Collaborative Problem Solving, positive behavioral supports and token economies.
The teaching staff is highly qualified and our counseling support staff (2) are highly trained, and dedicated to enriching the lives of their students.
Our less than 3-1 staff/student ratio, combined with a small intimate setting, is conducive to maximizing learning and personal growth. The school provides a safe, caring atmosphere that encourages students to develop their academic potential, self-control, and enhances their sense of self-esteem.
This blend of socialization experiences and academic programming maximizes the acquisition of basic skills in the N.J. Common Core Curriculum subjects, thereby enabling students to function as independently as possible upon graduation.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Private Special Education Centers
ASAH Private Special Education
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Learning Disabilities, High Functioning Asperger, School Phobic|
|Total Students||38 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 31%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||12 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||7 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$48,865|
|Tuition Notes||We accept private and public school tuition|
|Admissions Director||Robert E. White, Ed.D.|
- For over 36 years, Oakwood School has been meeting the educational, social and emotional needs of students with learning and emotional disabilities. Along with our Collaborative Problem Solving paradigm, our small, nurturing school incorporates school-wide positive behavioral supports and token economies. This is ideal for learning disabled students who have difficulty reaching their potential in departmentalized, large school environments. Oakwood School offers students:
- - a small, safe, structured environment for middle school and high school students;
- - a strong departmental/selfcontained academic program for students with learning disabilities, ADHD, behavior disorders, high functioning autism/Aspergers, school phobias, anxiety disorders, OCD, and mild to moderate ODD;
- - a therapeutic setting with two counselors;
- - an experienced and highly qualified staff and administration;
- - 17 teachers and aides for 38 students (a less than 3-1 student to staff ratio); and
- - an emphasis on "Transitioning" into the post high school world, including vocational counseling, job placement and Brookdale Community College Fast Start enrollment.
- For a complete overview of our school and programs, please visit our Web site: OakwoodSchool.net.
Profile last updated: 07/16/2015
- School Location Miles Grades Students
RichmondGrades: 5-8 | 64 students
1311 Overbrook Rd
Richmond, VA 23220
RichmondGrades: 5-8 | 71 students
500 N Allen Ave
Richmond, VA 23220
FairchanceGrades: 3-12 | 92 students
25 S Main St
Fairchance, PA 15436
Mifflinburg, PA 17844162.71
AkronGrades: K-8 | 327 students
4009 Manchester Rd
Akron, OH 44319
We consider Oakwood School to be a school of miracles. Our son refused to go to school and was miserable until we found Oakwood School. We now know what he looks like when he's happy. We especially liked feeling and seeing the encouragement, love, concern and respect your staff have for the students. You gave my husband and I the greatest gift in the world, you gave us our son back!
- Posted by Parent - Queen
November 21, 2016
What is really important in choosing a private school? Ranks? Academics? Financial aid? Sports programs? Arts programs? One of these criteria doesn't matter. The others do.
November 09, 2016
Private School Review has a robust search engine which will make your private school search process much easier to do. Here are some tips on how to use this tool.
November 09, 2016
We take a look at the enormous impact a private foundation can have on education.