Grades: NS-12 | 336 students
North Yarmouth Academy in Yarmouth, Maine is a co-educational, college preparatory school serving students toddler to grade 12.
NYA is alive with students who love to learn, explore and grow.
Their enthusiasm and commitment to excellence are evident in the classroom, on the fields and in the studios across campus.
NYA is a welcoming community, one that embraces each child’s style of learning and offers support, skills and encouragement -- tools that are key to their success.
NYA educates its students with a comprehensive program that incorporates academics, the arts and athletics.
We believe that a student's character and development thrive in a well-rounded, supportive environment.
Students are encouraged to advocate for themselves, manage their time effectively and discover their many strengths.
Their teachers are their mentors, coaches, and friends, and they are committed to bringing out the best in every student. NYA's Lower School opened in the fall of 2014 and provides a Montessori-based education through grade 2, and in grades 3 and 4, the approach continues to foster curiosity and motivation to learn while also preparing students for an easy transition to the Middle School at NYA
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Association of Independent Schools in New England (AISNE)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Total Students||336 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 10%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||56 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||14 students|
|Number of AP Courses||15 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Art History, AP Biology, AP Calculus, AP Chemistry, AP English Language, AP English Literature, AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP French, AP Music Theory, AP Physics, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, AP US History|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$25,400|
|Tuition Notes||Toddler (part time) - $9,300 Toddler - $13,650 Primary (part time) - $8,650 Primary/Kindergarten - $12,650 Grades 1-2 - $13,650 Grades 3-4 - $13,900 Grade 5 - $22,000 Grades 6-12 - $26,000|
|% on Financial Aid||
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Associate||Ashley Randlett|
|Total Sports Offered||16 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Nordic Skiing, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter TrackBaseball, Basketball,
Cross Country, Field Hockey,
Golf, Ice Hockey,
Lacrosse, Nordic Skiing,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Volleyball, Winter Track,
- North Yarmouth Academy's students currently come from 43 communities in Maine. In addition, we have a small boarding/homestay program with students from other areas of our country, as well as from countries across the globe. This program accounts for approximately 5% of our student population.
- NYA's music and fine arts program is second to none. All of our middle school students participate in our music and fine arts programs. Our upper school students must meet a fine arts requirement and over 70% of our students fulfill that requirement and continue to participate. Students can participate in a wide variety of choral groups, music ensembles and participate in our all-school musical. The school is alive with music of all kinds.
- NYA offers a very competitive athletic program, meeting the needs of all levels of athletes. Many of our teams are state champions, and we emphasize the importance of participation in an athletic program not only for competition, but for team-building, character and camaraderie.
- Our rigorous academic curriculum is supported by a committed faculty that knows each student well, supports learning styles and encourages growth. Our faculty encourages each student to reach his or her own level of excellence.
- NYA's college counseling program is focused on helping each individual student consider a range of next-step options. We work one-on-one with every student to help each find the right fit. In any given year, virtually 100% of our graduates go on to a 4-year college or university, though some take a GAP year before beginning. In the class of 2015, 68% of the class was admitted to their top choice school and 92% of the class was admitted to one, two or three of their top three choice colleges.
Profile last updated: 11/06/2015
Nearby Private Schools:
The nearest elementary school is French School of Maine ~ L'Ecole Française du Maine (3.9 miles away)
- School Location Miles Grades Students
South FreeportGrades: PK-6 | 79 students
99 South Freeport Rd - PO Box 737
South Freeport, ME 04078
South FreeportGrades: PK-9 | 81 students
Po Box 737
South Freeport, ME 04078
FreeportGrades: PK-12 | 274 students
57 Desert Rd
Freeport, ME 04032
FreeportGrades: NS-2 | 28 students
40 Independence Drive
Freeport, ME 04032
FalmouthGrades: NS-K | 85 students
161 Field Rd
Falmouth, ME 04105
Rental Market Monitor
November 24, 2015
Many parents search for an answer to the question "How do I provide the kind of religious education I want for my child?" Religious education is a very personal, subjective matter. We explore some of your options.
November 19, 2015
Myths, urban legends and just plain misinformation abound concerning private schools. We shed some light on the facts you may not have known.
October 04, 2015
This A-Z list is designed to make you aware of the many things involved in choosing the right school for your child.