St James School
|Grades Offered||Grades 8 - 12|
|Total Students||215 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||20% (MD School Avg.: 42%)|
|Students by Grade|
|Academics and Faculty|
|Total Classroom Teachers||30 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1 (National school avg.: 13:1)|
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||50%|
|Average Class Size||11 students|
|Number of AP Courses||14 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|United States History|
|Average SAT score||1990|
|Matriculation Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom dress code||Formal
(Blazer and slacks for boys; blazer and skirt or slacks for girls)
|Finances and Admission|
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 31 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$39,000|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition room and board $39,000; day tuition $24,000; books not included.|
|% on Financial Aid||33%|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$19,000|
|Admissions Director||Benjamin H. Douglass|
|Admissions Associate||Sarah C. Hopkins|
|Total Sports Offered||14 sports|
|Cross Country||Field Hockey|
What makes Saint James different form other boarding schools?
- College Success vs. College Stress: Our challenging core curriculum affords students the opportunity to explore their intellectual curiosity, becoming thinkers, rather than skimmers. At the same time, Saint James ensures their preparation for college, giving them an advantage in the college process. 100% of our classes are accelerated college prep, along with our 14 Advanced Placement offerings. On top of a full course load, students are also involved in competitive athletics, a superb fine-arts program, nationally touring choir, music ensembles, and other cultural opportunities and events.
- Friends vs. Cliques: With 215 students, Saint James is a small community welcoming to all individuals. Here, you will find older students hanging out with younger students, day students hanging out with boarding students, and international students hanging out with domestic students, as a single cohesive community.
- Expectations vs. Anything Goes: A strong, moral grounding, founded in the Oxford Movement of the Episcopal Church, Saint James students are kind and genuine. We all begin our academic day with a Chapel service and our Honor Code forms the cornerstone of trust and moral living on campus.
- Campus Beauty vs. Campus Ordinary: 672 beautiful acres set on the rolling hills of Western Maryland afford our students with a peaceful home. Located seven miles from Antietam National Battlefield, Saint James play an integral role in the Civil War. Our beautiful campus is only one hour from Washington, D.C., Baltimore, and three international airports.
- Confidence vs. Arrogance: Because of our size and culture, every student has an opportunity to be important at Saint James. Providing countless opportunities for leadership and success that are unmatched by other schools, Saint James students go to college with a true advantage, rather than a sense of entitlement.
- School accreditations: Accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools and approved by the Maryland State Board of Education. Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae: James Holloway - Former Chair, Joint Chiefs of StaffAlfred T. Mahan - 19th century naval strategist, author of The Influence of Sea Power Upon History, 1660–1783
Profile last updated: 08/31/2012
Gr. 8-12 | 0 mi. away
Gr. 1-12 | 3.1 mi. away
Gr. PK-12 | 4.1 mi. away
Gr. 2-12 | 4.1 mi. away
Gr. K-Nursery/Preschool | 4.4 mi. away
Gr. 2-11 | 4.6 mi. away