|School Membership(s)||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades 9 - 12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild Learning Differences, ADHD|
|Total Students||107 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||40% (NY School Avg.: 22%)|
|Students by Grade|
|Academics and Faculty|
|Total Classroom Teachers||26 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1 (National school avg.: 13:1)|
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||50%|
|Average Class Size||9 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom dress code||Casual|
|Finances and Admission|
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$49,600|
|% on Financial Aid||30%|
|Admissions Director||Jamie Hicks-Furgang|
|Admissions Associate||Lorrie Wechter|
|Total Sports Offered||12 sports|
|Total Extracurriculars||4 extracurriculars|
|Peer Counselors||Student Government|
- Darrow School: Hands-on Education for More Than 75 Years
- Darrow School, an independent, co-ed, boarding and day school in New Lebanon, NY, offers a comprehensive college-preparatory curriculum with a range of courses in writing and literature, history, languages, mathematics, sciences, and the arts.
- Strong critical thinking and writing skills are emphasized in all subject areas. Students learn within an atmosphere that supports the pursuit of intellectual curiosity, individual creativity, and the joy of learning.
- The School has been recognized as a pioneer in the field of "hands-on learning," and Darrow teachers use real-world topics and a dynamic approach to capture the imagination and make the subject matter come alive.
- The beautiful mountainside campus is located on the site of the historic Mt. Lebanon Shaker Village, and Darrow continues to embrace the Shaker legacy of sustainability and stewardship.
- An important feature of the academic program is its focus on environmental, social, and economic resources, and students discover the value of finding balance within one's self, the community, and global society. The National Association of Independent Schools recognized the excellence of the School's Sustainability Program in February 2005 with a Leading Edge Honoree Award for curriculum innovation.
- Darrow's small classes, averaging nine students, afford everyone the chance to participate. Head of School Nancy Wolf says, "Because Darrow is a small boarding school, with a 4-to-1 student-teacher ratio, there is an opportunity for strong connections between students and teachers. Teachers get to know students well, and expectations are high. They push students to do their best in classes, athletics, and co-curricular activities."
- The substantive nature and climate of Darrow School offer students a setting where their abilities can prosper, and the School's distinctive educational philosophy is suited to all learning styles. At Darrow, students reach their full potential as motivated, thriving, college-bound learners with a greater understanding of themselves and the world.
- To learn more about Darrow School, contact Jamie Hicks-Furgang, Director of Admission, at 518-794-6008 or visit www.darrowschool.org.
Profile last updated: 12/13/2012
Related School Videos:
Don Brown Bus Sales at Darrow School
3 months ago
2 months ago
What's New at Darrow School
2 years ago
growing.greener Campaign Video
1 year ago.
Facebook School Page:
Related School News:
- Darrow School receives $470,000 grant for drainage; HMA Contracting to perform work
posted on September 27, 2012 at 05:07:00 pm
Darrow School has received a $470,000 federal matching grant to improve the drainage system at the private school’s campus in New Lebanon in Columbia County, New York. The work, scheduled to start Oct. 1, will be performed by HMA Contracting Corp. of ...
- Leader of Darrow School announces retirement
posted on June 15, 2012 at 02:17:00 pm
Follow this company in New Lebanon, has announced her retirement, effective the end of the ...
- Darrow School has rare flower
posted on April 17, 2011 at 09:08:56 am
Sunday April 17, 2011 NEW LEBANON, N.Y. -- Apparently, April showers ...
Gr. 9-12 | 0 mi. away
Gr. PK-8 | 4.1 mi. away
Gr. K-8 | 5.9 mi. away
Gr. K-6 | 6.5 mi. away
Gr. 7-12 | 6.5 mi. away
Gr. 2-12 | 6.6 mi. away