Grades: 9-12 | 753 students
Mission Statement: Proclaiming Jesus Christ through excellence in education.
Please visit our web site at www.clshs.org for detailed information.
CLHS strives to offer a Christian environment that nurtures a student’s faith, promotes academic excellence, and develops a servant’s heart.
CLHS desires its students to be knowledgeable about their faith and willing to defend their beliefs; engaged in the classroom and able to think critically and communicate with clarity; and finally, to live their lives as servant-leaders and connect the world to the heart of Jesus Christ! Crean Lutheran High School is affiliated with the nationally-respected Lutheran education system, which is recognized as one of the premier educational institutions in the United States for its academic performance, its Christ-centered faculty and staff, and its progressive programs.
CLHS is WASC and NLSA accredited and offers comprehensive academic and extracurricular offerings that prepare its students academically, socially, and spiritually in a safe and caring environment.
By God’s grace, these characteristics have allowed Crean Lutheran to become the fastest growing high school in the 165-year history of the Lutheran Church.
Upcoming Events and News:
|Religious Affiliation||Lutheran Church -- Missouri Synod|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Wide range|
|Total Students||753 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||41 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||19:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||23 students|
|Number of AP Courses||21 courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Economics, AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature and Composition, AP Environmental Science, AP French, AP Government, AP Physics B, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art: 2-D Design, AP Studio Art: 3-D Design, AP Studio Art: Drawing and Painting, AP US History|
|Average SAT score||1648|
|Average ACT score||24|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
(Polo & Oxford Shirts; Long & Short Pants, Skirts & Skorts)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 11 / Jan. 22 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$14,500|
|Tuition Notes||Includes: -Laptop Computer -Princeton Review SAT-ACT Classes -Private, intensive college & career planing Does not include: -Books -Uniforms -Athletic Fees|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$4,000|
|Admissions Director||Mr. Brian Underwood|
|Admissions Associate||Mrs. Sherrie Lah|
|Total Sports Offered||17 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Dance, Diving, Football, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water Polo, Weightlifting, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,
Cheering, Cross Country,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
Water Polo, Weightlifting,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||4 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Performing Arts, Servant Leadership Team (Student Government), Service Organizations, and many more. and many more., Performing Arts,
Servant Leadership Team (Student Government),
- CLSHS is a comprehensive high school with a range of curriculum offerings to facilitate a range of college and career planning objectives. Supporting the scholastic experience, CLSHS also offers several co-curricular activities, including a collegiate-model athletic department, professionl visual and performing arts teachers, and more than a dozen student clubs and activities.
- Expected Schoolwide Learner Outcomes
- Crean Lutheran High School is nationally recognized for its comprehensive environment that instills Christian character development, engenders academic excellence, and nurtures a servant’s heart. CLHS desires its students to be knowledgeable about their faith and willing to defend their beliefs; engaged in the classroom and able to think critically and communicate clearly; and, finally, to live their lives as servant-leaders for Jesus Christ. Historical Excellence
- CLHS is proud to be a part of the renowned Lutheran Church school system, which has been educating students for over 160 years. Broad evidence of the excellence found in Lutheran education was recently annotated in a recent landmark study by the U.S. Department of Education that ranked the Lutheran system highest academically among all other schools, including public, Catholic, charter, other protestant or other private schools (Christopher Lubienski, “Charter, Private, Public Schools and Academic Achievement.) Additionally, Lutheran school students have been recognized as scoring 23 percent higher than national averages on standard achievement tests (Brekke, M., Youth Research Center). It is within this school system’s celebrated history that CLHS is the fastest growing high school ever. Continuing Excellence
- A high value is placed on personalized education; CLHS proudly maintains an average of 18:1 student-to-teacher ratio. Students can follow various academic tracks including a standard set of classes meeting California State A-G requirements, or take part in the wide array of academically rigorous Honors, Advanced Placement (AP) and Early College Program (ECP) offerings. CLHS currently offers 21 AP courses and 10 ECP courses for motivated students hoping to gain a running start on college coursework while still in High School.
- CLHS hires exceptionally qualified Christian educators, the majority whom have advanced degrees. Thus, our students benefit not only from an intimate class setting, but also from the bright minds teaching their subjects.
- General Scores & Statistics:
- During the 2012-13 academic year, Crean Lutheran students achieved an average score of 1648 on the SAT, which placed CLHS scores 143 points above the state average and 150 points higher than the national average. Over the course of the last four years, CLHS has increased AP Exam pass rates by over 17% and nearly tripled the number of students receiving a 5, the highest score possible on the AP Exam. 2012-13 marked a banner year for AP testing, with 148 students taking various AP exams. 95% of CLHS test takers passed the English Language & Composition test; over 87.5% passed the English Literature & Composition test. At least 67% of test takers passed each of the following AP Exams: Chemistry, Macroeconomics, Statistics, and United States History. An astounding 100% passed Studio Art: 2-D, Studio Art: Drawing, Calculus BC, Chinese Language & Culture, and Computer Science. Educational Technology:
- Integrating 21st century technology into the classroom setting is a hallmark of CLHS. All students receive a laptop included in the cost of tuition. From note-taking and online research to submitting homework and preparing presentations; students use their laptops on a daily basis. CLHS also encourages students to utilize eBooks and digital textbooks to further benefit their academic pursuits. Finally, CLHS blends the powerful online tools of the Moodle educational platform with traditional in-class instruction creating a wholly unique educational experience. Through Moodle, students can submit homework, download class content, take quizzes, communicate with teachers, and monitor grades in real time. College & Career Counseling:
- CLHS counselors work in partnership with the whole student in the context of their family, school, and relationships to help facilitate student development in education, personal/social, spiritual and career domains.Students at CLHS are well-prepared to engage in strenuous University-level academics. 94% of CLHS graduates are accepted to a 4 year college or university. 96% of CLHS graduates transitioned to college, 65% going directly to a four-year College or University. Students are also afforded the opportunity to take advantage of Princeton Review SAT/ACT Test Preparation services which are built into the overall cost structure. During the specialized 30-hour curriculum, students are familiarized with test content and equipped with tools to score to the best of their ability – all at no extra cost. Thus, students are afforded the opportunity to receive the best test preparation tools from well-qualified instructors. Accreditation:
- CLHS offers a renowned educational environment that is accredited by both the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) as well as National Lutheran School Accreditation (NLSA). In 2011, CLHS earned a maximum six-year accreditation term by WASC. In 2013, the NLSA granted Crean Lutheran Exemplary School status, which was conferred upon only three high schools in the United States based upon the standard of meeting or exceeding best practices in education. CLHS was the only California high school to receive this distinction. International Department:
- Playing an invaluable role in elevating Crean Lutheran High School into one of the nation’s most progressive high schools is the presence of CLHS’s nationally-commended International Department. In all, CLHS is blessed to host students from 19 countries, across every continent, for the 2014-15 academic year. Instrumental in creating such international interest in CLHS is the school’s reputation for providing top-tier education on a multicultural campus that is reflective of the global village of Irvine as a whole. Equally significant in drawing students from all corners of the globe is the experienced leadership and adroit counseling services that skillfully work with each international student to help them reach their educational and career goals. CLHS is eligible to issue I-20s to International students who desire to study in the United States, and host families are provided upon request. Individuals interested in learning more about the International Admission process, or about how to become a host family, should contact CLHS International Department Director Mrs. Sherri Lah at firstname.lastname@example.org Excellence in Performing Arts Visual & Performing Arts
- Crean Lutheran High School values the opportunity celebrate the Visual and Performing Arts by developing the individual creative gifts of CLHS’s many talented artists. While all students are required to take at least one unit of Visual & Performing Arts to satisfy graduation requirements and entrance requirements for most colleges and universities, CLHS also offers diverse opportunities for extracurricular engagement. Students at Crean Lutheran High School have the opportunity to perform in a variety of settings, including theatrical performances, instrumental concerts, choral concerts, and dance performances. CLHS visual artists are afforded similar opportunities to showcase their talents through on and off-campus shows. CLHS is deeply committed to providing students real-world opportunities to develop and refine their respective gifts and crafts. Student-artists have been recognized for excellence by the Orange County Pacific Symphony, South Coast Repertory Theater, the City of Irvine Fine Arts Council, and the Irvine Youth Arts Show.
- For questions regarding Crean Lutheran High School Visual & Performing Arts Department, please contact VPA Chair Paul von Kampen at (949)387-1199 or email to email@example.com.
- Concert Choir
- Chamber Choir (Auditioned)
- Women's Chorus (Auditioned)
- Instrumental Music:
- Orchestra (Auditioned)
- Jazz Band (Auditioned)
- String Ensemble (Auditioned)
- Praise Band (Auditioned)
- Acoustic Worship Ensemble Visual Art:
- Video Production
- Exploratory Art
- Drawing & Painting
- Sculpture I
- Sculpture II
- AP Art: Studio
- AP Art: 2-D
- AP Art: 3-D
- Beginning Dance
- Intermediate Dance (Auditioned)
- Advanced Dance (Auditioned)
- Dance Ensemble/Dance Ministry (Auditioned)
- Theater Curriculum:
- Acting for State and Camera I
- Activng for Stage and Camera II (Auditioned)
- Athletic Department Mission Statement:
- “Create and continuously foster an environment where each CLHS student athlete’s welfare and personal development come first! Faculty, staff and coaches are committed to enhancing spiritual growth in promoting positive character, teamwork and commitment, all while providing a fun safe environment for our student athletes learn, compete and have fun.”
- General Athletic Information Crean Lutheran High School’s Athletic Department offers a collegiate-model athletic program aimed at developing competitive student-athletes who play for God’s glory. CLHS Saints Athletics are founded upon six core values firmly rooted in the acrostic CHRIST: Commitment, Honor, Responsibility, Intelligence, Sacrifice, and Teamwork. CLHS is a proud member of the Academy League in the CIF-SS and sponsors 23 varsity sports for competitive athletic engagement. To ensure success in league and CIF competition, CLHS provides multiple services and amenities; including full-time staffing to administrate the study table/tutoring program, a robust strength and conditioning program as well as a sports medicine program. CLHS’ CIF-certified coaching staff also assists with college recruitment services for committed student-athletes wanting to compete on the collegiate level.
- For questions regarding Crean Lutheran High School Athletics, please contact Athletic Director Eric Olson at 949)387-1199 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CLHS Athletic Highlights
- The 2014-15 school year represented a dominate year for CLHS Athletics. Crean Lutheran captured its second Academy League Cup! The cup is given annually to the league's top athletic program based on the highest aggregate level of success in league competition. Eight CLHS teams won Academy League titles and sixteen teams made strong runs into CIF playoffs. Girls Swimming/Diving recorded CLHS' thrid consecutive CIF title. Finally, OC Varsity nominated many CLHS Saints Student-Athletes as “Athlete-of-the-Week” or “Scholar-Athlete-of-the-Week,” based not only on their athletic achievements, but their Christian character as well.
- Fall Sports:
- Girls Tennis
- Girls Volleyball
- Girls & Boys Cross Country
- Girls Golf
- Boys Water Polo Winter Sports:
- Girls Basketball
- Boys Basketball
- Girls Soccer
- Boys Soccer
- Spring Sports:
- Girls & Boys Diving
- Boys Golf
- Girls & Boys Swimming & Diving
- Boys Tennis
- Girls & Boys Track & Field
- Boys Volleyball
- Year Round:Cheer
Profile last updated: 07/20/2015
Nearby Private Schools:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
IrvineGrades: KG-6 | 107 students
125 Great Lawn
Irvine, CA 92620
IrvineGrades: PK-6 | 221 students
1 Truman St
Irvine, CA 92620
IrvineGrades: K-12 | 122 students
4790 Irvine Blvd Ste 105-286
Irvine, CA 92620
IrvineGrades: PK-2 | 168 students
12100 Yale Ct
Irvine, CA 92620
East IrvineGrades: PK-2 | 164 students
Po Box 130
East Irvine, CA 92650
Rental Market Monitor
November 24, 2015
Many parents search for an answer to the question "How do I provide the kind of religious education I want for my child?" Religious education is a very personal, subjective matter. We explore some of your options.
November 19, 2015
Myths, urban legends and just plain misinformation abound concerning private schools. We shed some light on the facts you may not have known.
October 04, 2015
This A-Z list is designed to make you aware of the many things involved in choosing the right school for your child.