The Cheshire Academy
|School Membership(s)||National Independent Private Schools Association
Institute for Independent Education
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
International Baccalaureate (IB) World School
|Grades Offered||Grades 8 - 12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||339 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||10% (CT School Avg.: 25%)|
|Students by Grade|
|Academics and Faculty|
|Total Classroom Teachers||82 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1 (National school avg.: 13:1)|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||16 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom dress code||Formal
(Mon-Thurs: Academic Dress; Friday: Formal Dress)
|Finances and Admission|
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 1 / Jan. 1 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Day: $32,360 Boarding: $45,385|
|Admissions Director||John Ettore|
|Total Sports Offered||16 sports|
|Tennis||Track and Field|
- Cheshire Academy is a community within a community, close to large cities, yet suburban enough that students feel comfortable on- and off-campus. What discoveries await a student here? There are as many answers to that as there are students because education that inspires the individual is our way of life. Students, teachers, coaches, and parents combine their diverse talents to create a learning and living environment that honors the differences in all of us. Our history includes women and men who changed the course of world events because they stood up for who they are, and we're proud they learned to do that here. While our past makes us one of the nation's oldest schools, our curriculum encourages intellectual and ethical maturity for today's global society.
- Academics & College Prep: Cheshire stresses strong, informed college preparation. We offer a range of honors classes, AP courses, electives, and independent studies. Academic support, including a writing center and math lab, rounds out our curriculum. A full-time college counseling team guides students through their college search process, and more than 150 college representatives visit campus each year. 2008 college acceptances included Bates College, Bentley College, Boston College, Carnegie Mellon University, New York University, Purdue University, Smith College, University of Michigan, and Wheaton College.
- Athletics & Afternoon Programs: The tradition of athletics is integral to the life of Cheshire Academy. With programs including baseball, basketball, cross country, fencing, field hockey, football, golf, lacrosse, soccer, softball, swimming, tennis, track, ultimate Frisbee, volleyball, and wrestling, each student is encouraged to participate for a minimum of one season, although many choose to play all three. For those who want to explore a new sport, the beginning and junior varsity teams provide a chance to acquire basic skills, make new friends, and learn about sportsmanship. Cheshire Academy's other afternoon programs introduce new interests and life-long passions that emphasize teamwork, goal setting, and self-confidence. Our community has produced a wide range of internationally recognized athletes, musicians, actors, novelists, and playwrights.
- Extracurricular Activities: Extracurricular activities are as varied as student interests, often organized in response to student requests. The Proctors, Student Council, Peer Counselors, and the National Honor Society provide student leadership. Our many other organizations include the Diversity Club, Key Club, Earth Club, Chess Club, Model U.N., and two computer clubs. A literary magazine and new multi-media clubs provide practical experience in writing, editing, photography, and digital imaging.
- Campus Life: Learning occurs not only in classrooms but also in halls and dormitories. A powerful connection is created when teachers also serve as dorm parents and advisors. Programs like the Citizenship Committee are fundamental to who we are as a school and a community. Each program adds to our authentic, whole-learning environment, and students are able to voice their opinions about the activities that interest them.
- Financial Assistance: Cheshire Academy annually awards $2 million in financial assistance. In addition, we award a four-year scholarship to a town resident, a three-year scholarship to an incoming sixth grader, and a scholarship from the Goizueta Foundation for a candidate of Latin background.
- Admission: There is much more to learn about us! We look forward to showing you our wonderful community. To arrange a tour, please contact the admission office at 203-439-7250.
Profile last updated: 06/19/2012
Facebook School Page:
Related School News:
- CK's Joyner tackles new position, heads to Cheshire Academy
posted on June 16, 2012 at 11:55:00 pm
In a year where things didn’t go nearly planned for Kalief Joyner, the Christ the King star was thrown another curveball when he arrived for ...
- Malik Golden Chooses Penn State
posted on August 25, 2011 at 01:45:42 am
Cheshire Academy wide receiver Malik Golden ...
- Golden verbally commits to Penn State
posted on August 24, 2011 at 11:57:21 pm
Athlete Malik Golden of Cheshire Academy in Cheshire, Conn., verbally committed to the Nittany Lions on Wednesday ...
Gr. 8-12 | 0 mi. away
Gr. PK-8 | 0.3 mi. away
Gr. PK-K | 2.5 mi. away
Gr. 2-9 | 2.6 mi. away
Gr. 1-12 | 4.4 mi. away
Gr. Nursery School-PK | 4.5 mi. away