|School Membership(s)||International Baccalaureate (IB) World School
American Montessori Society (AMS)
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
National Independent Private Schools Association
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool - 8|
|Total Students||395 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
|Academics and Faculty|
|Total Classroom Teachers||87 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1 (National school avg.: 13:1)|
|Finances and Admission|
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||$20,000 - $35,000|
|Admissions Director||Nadia Meier|
|Admissions Associate||Kim McElderry|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Total Extracurriculars||15 extracurriculars|
|Engineering with LEGO||Golf|
- Whitby is a co-educational independent school for students age 18 months through grade 8, located on an idyllic 25-acre campus in Greenwich.
- Premier Montessori early childhood program nurtures a child's natural curiosity for learning at a very early age.
- With the world renowned International Baccalaureate Program, Whitby is an academically forward and challenging environment that inspires Lower and Middle School students to the highest levels of achievement.
- Whitby’s educational philosophy encourages students to engage in their own learning, discover meaningful connections across subjects and with the real world, and become fearless achievers.
- Our World Languages program introduces Spanish at age 18months and intensifies as our students progress, so that by Middle School graduation our students are speaking, reading and writing in Spanish. Language instruction in French and Chinese are also offered.
- Robust Athletics and Co-Curricular program built into the school day starting in 5th grade.
- Our curriculum also incorporates a visual and performing arts, interscholastic sports, health instruction; counselor support, community service and global citizenship activities, and international travel for older students.
- Comprehensive secondary school placement program focuses on best fit school selection, standardized test preparation and interview skills.
- The results are that two-thirds of students qualify for the prestigious John Hopkins Talent Search. Graduates find success in both acceptance rates and achievement at highly competitive secondary schools, with 90 percent accepted at their first choice of high school.
- Whitby families and faculty come from over 40 countries and speak more than 23 languages to foster cross-cultural learning. This motivated community of parents, students, faculty and staff are part of an internationally-aware culture that nurtures students to be responsible, global citizens.
Profile last updated: 10/23/2012
Related School Videos:
Whitby school guitar ensemble December 09
3 years ago
The Whitby School Teachers spoof
4 years ago
Related School News:
- Whitby school demolition begins this month - durhamregion.com
posted on January 6, 2013 at 09:50:00 am
Whitby school demolition begins this monthdurhamregion.comThere has been no decision made whatsoever as to the future of the site. David Visser, Durham ...
- Whitby graduation finds bright spots in the dark
posted on July 3, 2011 at 07:12:46 pm
Whitby School in Greenwich held its 49th Commencement Exercise on Thursday, June 9 at the Whitby School Gymnasium. Due to a storm, Whitby school was without power so a portable generator had to be ...
- Whitby School Graduates Without Power
posted on June 18, 2011 at 04:29:27 am
Emma Citron receives her graduation placard from Whitby ...
Gr. Nursery/Preschool-8 | 0 mi. away
Gr. K | 2.1 mi. away
Gr. Nursery/Preschool-5 | 3.3 mi. away
Gr. K-2 | 3.3 mi. away
Gr. PK-8 | 3.4 mi. away
Gr. Nursery/Preschool-8 | 3.5 mi. away
- October 27,2012 - Whitby has always been known for its preschool and early elementary years excellence, but it is, in recent years- with its integration of the International Baccalaureate program and the recent arrival of the new Head of School (one of the leading educators in the IB world) -becoming a leader in upper elementary and middle school education in the Greenwich area. Our son, now in third grade, has been at Whitby since preschool and has experienced not only the best in academic teaching (tailored to his specific need for exceptional challenge in the classroom), but his teachers also have provided for him a warm environment that has led to extraordinary social development. The athletics program has undergone a complete overhaul in recent years, and we have been able to watch exceptional athletic team performances over the last several weeks. Any family that values an outstanding and challenging academic curriculum, emphasis on teamwork both on and off the field, and an unsurpassed welcoming sense of community should consider Whitby. It is well worth the investment!*-Posted by Parent *