Grades: 8-12 | 233 students
Since its founding in 1842, Saint James School has been dedicated to inspiring students to become leaders for good in the world.
The Chapel is a centerpiece of school life. Daily chapels allow for quiet reflection and a way to connect with personal spirituality.
With an average class size of eleven students, faculty members focus their attention on the student as relationships are genuine.
The Fine Arts Department is comprised of music, art, dance and theatre. The Mummers' Society has a Fall Play and a Spring Musical that are popular with the students.
At Saint James, athletics are a big part of every day life as they are required of every student, but the focus is on the 'team.'
Community service is an important area of learning at Saint James. Volunteering locally, nationally, and internationally with various organizations is commonplace.
Internationally recognized as one of the best small boarding schools in the country, Saint James boasts a challenging core curriculum, preparing our students for college success, not stress. Located just 70 miles drive from the cities of Washington, D.C., Baltimore, and three international airports, our 672-acre campus is a serene home for 235 students from 15 states and 18 countries. With all full-time faculty residing on campus, relationships are at the core of our community.
Saint James is the oldest Episcopal boarding school founded on the Oxford Movement, with rich traditions dating back to 1842.
Saint James is different than other small boarding schools in that we instill a humble confidence in our students which allows them to lead, learn, and live a life of rich experience; a large variety of interscholastic sports provides all students the benefits of athletic competition, sportsmanship, and leadership, while an impressively broad array of offerings in the Arts allow students to flex their creative muscles. Saint James School's stellar college-preparatory curriculum, with a fun social life free from cliques and where students can grow and gain an advantage, is what makes Saint James amazing.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Episcopal Schools (NAES)
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades 8-12|
|Total Students||233 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 35%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||35 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||11 students|
|Number of AP Courses||14 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, European History, French, Government, Latin, Literature, Physics B, Spanish, Studio Art, United States History|
|Average SAT score||1835|
|Average ACT score||26|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
(Blazer and slacks for boys; blazer and skirt or slacks for girls)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 31 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$30,000|
|Tuition Notes||Day student tuition: $30,000 Boarding tuition (tuition, room and board): $45,000|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$20,465|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Benjamin H. Douglass|
|Admissions Associate||Amelia M. Fitzsimmons|
|Total Sports Offered||16 sports|
|Sports||Ballet, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Volleyball, Weightlifting, Winter Track, WrestlingBallet, Baseball,
Basketball, Cross Country,
Dance, Field Hockey,
Winter Track, Wrestling,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||11 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Boom! Science Club, Boys' A Cappella, Cooking Club, Dance Club, Debate Club, Game Development Club, Girls' A Cappella, Newspaper, Ski Club, Spirit Club, Yearbook Cooking Club, Dance Club, Debate Club, Newspaper, Ski Club, Spirit Club, Yearbook, Boom! Science Club,
Boys' A Cappella,
Game Development Club,
Girls' A Cappella,
What makes Saint James different form other boarding schools?
- Our challenging curriculum affords students the opportunity to explore their intellectual curiosity, becoming thinkers, rather than skimmers. At the same time, Saint James ensures their preparation for college, giving them an advantage in the college process. 100% of our classes are accelerated college prep, along with our 14 Advanced Placement offerings. On top of a full course load, students are also involved in competitive athletics, a superb fine-arts program, nationally touring choir, music ensembles, and other cultural opportunities and events.
- With 235 students, Saint James is a small community welcoming to all individuals. Here, you will find older students hanging out with younger students, day students hanging out with boarding students, and international students hanging out with domestic students, as a single cohesive community.
- With a strong, moral grounding, founded in the Oxford Movement of the Episcopal Church, Saint James students are kind and genuine. We all begin our academic day with a Chapel service and our Honor Code forms the cornerstone of trust and moral living on campus. Because of our size and culture, every student has an opportunity to be important at Saint James. Providing countless opportunities for leadership and success that are unmatched by other schools, Saint James students go to college with a true advantage.
- 672 beautiful acres set on the rolling hills of Western
Maryland afford our students with a peaceful and safe home. Located
seven miles from Antietam National Battlefield, Saint James played
an integral role in the Civil War. Our beautiful campus is only one
hour from Washington, D.C., Baltimore, and three international
School accreditations: Accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools and approved by the Maryland State Board of Education.
Profile last updated: 05/31/2016
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Sandy SpringGrades: PK-12 | 575 students
16923 Norwood Road
Sandy Spring, MD 20860
IjamsvilleGrades: K-12 | 88 students
3232 Green Valley Road
Ijamsville, MD 21754
PotomacGrades: 3-12 | 474 students
10400 Seven Locks Rd
Potomac, MD 20854
BethesdaGrades: PK-12 | 1101 students
5100 Edgemoor Lane
Bethesda, MD 20814
GaithersburgGrades: K-12 | 176 students
200 W. Diamond Avenue
Gaithersburg, MD 20877