Grades: 9-12 | 700 students
The lower campus of St. Mary's Ryken - Rupert Hall, Romuald Hall, Xavier Hall and Alumni Hall (cafeteria).
The upper campus of St. Mary's Ryken - Paschal Hall and the SMR stadium. The softball field (on the right) is being renovated and will be ready for the spring 2013 season.
Strength in Spirit.
Leaders in the Community.
Discover the Difference! SMR is private school committed to providing a highly competitive yetaffordable college preparatory education to students in the southern Maryland area. Located in the heart of Leonardtown, Maryland, SMR is approximately 55 miles southeast of Washington, D.C. The 87-acre, waterfront and wireless campus overlooks Breton Bay and consists of six buildings and 26 varsity teams.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other religious school association(s)
Xaverian Brothers School Sponsorship
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||As part of our mission, SMR offers support services to students with learning differences. We are equipped with fully qualified staff, and students are admitted into the program through the regular admissions process. Call 301-373-4183 for details.|
|Total Students||700 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 34%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||56 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||13:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||22 students|
|Number of AP Courses||24 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Art, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Computer Science, English Literature, English Composition, Environmental Science, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, French, Spanish, Latin, U.S. History, World History, American Government, Psychology,|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
(Summer and Winter Dress Code)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$13,700|
|Tuition Notes||Both need-based and merit-based scholarships are available.|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Admissions Director||Amy Cricchi|
|Total Sports Offered||20 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Dance, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter Track, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,
Cheering, Cross Country,
Field Hockey, Football,
Golf, Ice Hockey,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
Winter Track, Wrestling,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||25 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Academic Resources, Apologetics, Art Club, Chess Club, Chinese Culture and Art, Envirothon, FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America), Fall Musical, Honor Council, Jazz Band, Key Club, Knightcast, Mission Possible, Mock Trial, National Honor Society, Newspaper, Pep and Spirit Club, Plus, many more!, Project Graduation, Roman Culture, Shakespearean Drama Club, Spring Musical, Stage Guild, Student Government, XBSS Stewards Apologetics, Art Club, Chess Club, Envirothon, Fall Musical, Honor Council, Jazz Band, Key Club, Knightcast, Mock Trial, Newspaper, Roman Culture, Spring Musical, Stage Guild, XBSS Stewards, Academic Resources,
Chinese Culture and Art,
FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America),
National Honor Society,
Pep and Spirit Club,
Plus, many more!,
Shakespearean Drama Club,
- Over their four years at SMR, students grow within a mentoring and caring environment that fosters opportunities for each student to develop individual gifts and talents, and prepare them to become role models and leaders in their communities. The years a student spends at SMR are marked not only by a challenging, college preparatory program, but also by rewarding opportunities for service, the forming of lifelong friendships, and the camaraderie of being part of athletics and shared celebrations of Catholic faith.
- In the 2015-16 school year, 700 students are attending SMR in grades 9-12. Our students come from Maryland and Virginia and the following counties Anne Arundel, Calvert, Charles, King George (Virginia), Prince George’s, Stafford (Virginia), St. Mary’s and Westmoreland (Virginia). In addition, SMR welcomes international students.
- The ideals of a Xaverian education are realized through the dedication of a talented, accessible and approachable faculty. Faculty advisors are an integral part of the support system for students’ course selection. Each grade level has a dedicated school counselor, and the same academic advisor continues with each student through graduation.
- SMR is committed to staying on the cutting edge of technology and how it enhances the educational experience for our students. To prepare students to take their place in a world that is increasingly global and continually changing, SMR developed the 1:1 iPad program amd established a student, faculty and parent portal. The campus is 100 percent Wi-Fi enabled. Our 1:1 iPad program fits the mission of SMR in promoting individualized student growth by providing a tool in which every student’s learning can be personalized to his or her needs and desires. The iPad provides students with an educational hub for their schedule, email, events, course discussion groups and grades. The Student Portal provides a modern learning experience in and out of the classroom, including direct messaging between students, teachers and counselors, accessing teachers’ resources, and uploading course work for teachers to review and grade. Parents have access to the same information and students’ assignments via the Parent Portal. The iPad program enhances classroom collaboration and enables students to quickly find information for projects and research. Students use e-books and have access to many educational apps – including apps for classroom presentations, note taking and improving organizational skills.
- Scholars Program – Project Lead the Way
- Scholars Program offers STEM tracks in Bio/Medical, Computer Science and Engineering, as well as the Humanities. Curriculum is provided by Project Lead the Way which is the nation's leading provider of STEM programs. The goal of the Scholars Program is to offer accelerated curriculum concentrations to our students who want a more rigorous and advanced course of study. All students are welcome to apply. A student’s high school placement test results, grade point average and essay submission determine selection to the program. Interested students may also be requested to interview.
- The SMR Athletic Complex includes a state of the art 1,000-seat outdoor sports stadium with a professional-level, NFL-grade turf field and a six-lane track, locker rooms, weight room and team rooms. The Campus Cafe is a full-service cafeteria that offers hot breakfast and lunch service daily. A professional chef prepares fresh, healthy choices.
- Approximately 99% of each graduating class pursues a higher education at a college, university or military service academy. The Class of 2015 received over $17 million in scholarship offers.
- There is a separate application for merit scholarships in the areas of academics, leadership and fine arts. Please visit the Admissions page on the website for more information and application deadlines.
- Visit us on Facebook (St. Mary's Ryken), Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.
Profile last updated: 07/16/2015
Nearby Private Schools:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
LeonardtownGrades: 6-12 | 32 students
41740 Baldridge Street
Leonardtown, MD 20650
LeonardtownGrades: K | 74 students
Po Box 2260
Leonardtown, MD 20650
LovevilleGrades: 1-10 | 32 students
Po Box 8
Loveville, MD 20656
CaliforniaGrades: NS-3 | 104 students
23443 Cottonwood Pkwy
California, MD 20619
HollywoodGrades: PK-KG | 73 students
Rr1 Box 100 24422 Mervell Dean
Hollywood, MD 20636
Rental Market Monitor
January 25, 2016
This is a very practical list of things you must do before you graduate. The items on this list will enhance your college applications.
January 08, 2016
Here are my picks for 'must have' web sites when it comes to finding out about private K-12 schools.
January 05, 2016
Many parents search for an answer to the question "How do I provide the kind of religious education I want for my child?" Religious education is a very personal, subjective matter. We explore some of your options.