- Berkeley Montessori School is an independent school serving children ages 3 to 14, located on two beautiful campuses in Berkeley, CA. BMS is not a place where students just "do" school.
- BMS is a welcoming place where students, parents, and teachers are engaged in meaningful learning.
- Students develop the skills and knowledge they need within assignments and projects that encourage inquiry, critical thinking, creativity, collaboration, ethics, and habits of mind and heart with connections to the wider world---all within a respectful, culturally responsive community.
- BMS is a place where teachers are supported to continue their own learning so that they integrate the best available knowledge into their practice.
- BMS is a place where parents are supported in their parenting through ongoing workshops, parenting circles, and many opportunities for participation.
- BMS is a place that transforms education to meet the needs of our students for their future.
- At BMS, we strive to ignite curious minds, awaken generous hearts, and engage in a changing world.
|School Type||Alternative School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)
Institute for Independent Education
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||289 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||25 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||23 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Tuition Notes||Tuition is grade specific and ranges from $16,650 to $19,500 depending on program level.|
|% on Financial Aid||
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Paula Farmer|
|Total Sports Offered||3 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Flag Football, VolleyballBasketball, Flag Football,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||2 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Eco Club, Garage Band (Middle School) Eco Club, Garage Band (Middle School),
- Inquiry Based Learning
- Field Trips to promote experiential learning along with the academic curriculum on all levels
- Montessori Plus approach to pedagogy
- Lucy Calkins Readers and Writers Workshop
- Terc Math K-5; Connected Math + Algebra in Middle School
- Peaceful Playground
Profile last updated: 05/06/2016
- School Location Miles Grades Students
BerkeleyGrades: NS-8 | 535 students
1009 Heinz Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94710
BerkeleyGrades: K-8 | 88 students
2722 Benvenue Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94705
El CerritoGrades: PK-8 | 239 students
2603 Tassajara Avenue
El Cerrito, CA 94530
AlamedaGrades: PK-6 | 27 students
1400 6th Street
Alameda, CA 94501
OaklandGrades: K-8 | 385 students
3245 Sheffield Avenue
Oakland, CA 94602