Grades: NS-8 | 163 students
Founded in 1949, The Cathedral School is a Nursery-8th grade co-educational day school that offers a rigorous academic education in an intimate and supportive learning environment.
With a small student-teacher ratio, an international student body and placement of graduates in the city’s best high schools, The Cathedral School continues its legacy of educating children in The Classics.
Rooted in the principles of Hellenism, the curriculum integrates the most up to date educational methods while adhering to the ancient Greek tradition of paideia which views education as character formation, responsibility and the pursuit of excellence.
In short, we offer A Classical Education for the Modern World.
|Religious Affiliation||Greek Orthodox|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Total Students||163 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||20 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 1|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$16,000|
|Tuition Notes||Nursery and Pre-Kindergarten - Half Day: $15,000 Full Day: $17,000 K - 8 tuition - $16,000|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$3,000|
|Admissions Director||Debbie Tsafos|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||14 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Acting, Art, Basketball Stars of New York, Greek Language and Culture, Guitar, Gymnastics, Karate, Math Mania, Music, Robotics, Running Club, Super Soccer Stars, Supervised Homework, Test Prep Acting, Art, Guitar, Gymnastics, Karate, Math Mania, Music, Robotics, Running Club, Test Prep, Basketball Stars of New York,
Greek Language and Culture,
Super Soccer Stars,
- The Cathedral School's curriculum includes Early Childhood (N-K), Lower school (grades 1-5) and The Accelerated Middle School (grades 6 - 8). Our Early Childhood Program offers a nurturing and family like environment to our youngest learners. Teachers encourage curiosity and creativity through hands-on inquiry, play, and rich language experiences. In Kindergarten social-emotional and academic growth builds upon learned social and academic skills to begin formal instruction in the subject areas such as reading, writing, mathematics, social studies, science, Greek language and culture.
- The Lower School (grades 1-5) curriculum is designed to strengthen literacy, cultivate math skills, establish effective work habits, and encourage students’ citizenship by enhancing their understanding of the world around them. Reading, writing, mathematics, social studies, and science are cornerstone to the curriculum. The core curriculum, in addition to specialized subject areas such as art, Greek, music, mythology, and technology provide students with a balanced foundation for future academic success.
- Our Accelerated Middle School (grades 6-8) offers three strands of disciplines, Humanities (English and Social Studies), Classics and STR’REAM (Science, Technology, Reading, Writing, Engineering, Art and Math). These courses are block scheduled to allow teachers to work together on interdisciplinary projects. Students in 7th and 8th grade are introduced to Latin and Ancient Greek, enhancing their understanding and function of language. All students are encouraged to graduate with three earned high school credits in subject areas such as math, foreign language, and science. Through small class sizes and individual attention, our middle school students are given every opportunity to learn and explore.
- The Cathedral School also offers a rich Greek culture and language program. Instruction in Modern Greek begins with the earliest grades. Our youngest students sing songs, play games, and listen to stories in Greek. As the children grow older, they learn to recognize the letters and sounds of the Greek alphabet and ultimately learn to read and write in Greek. The Cathedral School recently implemented a Greek as a Second Language program, which allows non-Greek speaking students to step into the language program at any grade level. Greek history and culture are integrated into the curriculum at all grade levels through art, storytelling, myths, music, history, theatre and dance. Our goal is to introduce the riches of the Greek language as both a medium of communication and an initial view into the culture and history of western civilization.
- In addition to the standard core classes of Math, English, History, Social Studies and Science, The Cathedral School offers Chess, Computer Science, Physical Education, Art and Music in its daily curriculum. Movement and Exercise and Music Appreciation are taught to Early Childhood students. The After-School Center, offers a variety of activities including sports, karate, music, art, creative writing, creative cooking, hands-on science, chess, drama, and Greek language and culture. Funding from Cathedral School families and foundations like the Stavros Niarchos Foundation has made it possible for us to have SmartBoard technology in every classroom, as well as a fully equipped computer lab.
- The entire curriculum, nursery through grade eight, is articulated through standards that define the important knowledge, skills and understandings that we believe all students must acquire in order to become mindful, well-educated citizens. Our skilled and dedicated teachers are committed to helping all children reach their own individual best in every subject area.
Profile last updated: 09/22/2015
- School Location Miles Grades Students
New YorkGrades: 1-8 | 128 students
1330 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10026
New YorkGrades: K-12 | 1281 students
108 E 89th St
New York, NY 10128
New YorkGrades: PK-8 | 257 students
408 East 82nd Street
New York, NY 10028
New YorkGrades: K-9 | 372 students
113 E 73rd St
New York, NY 10021
New YorkGrades: PK-5 | 265 students
416 E 80th St
New York, NY 10075
|5.0 Stars 07/24/15|
A wonderful little gem on the UES. Wonderfully involved and caring teachers. Great Student body. Involved and kind parents. Academics are spot on. My son was tested for G&T and scored in 99%. We could not be happier with his education!
- Posted by Parent - tetta
October 25, 2016
Among the many forms which you must complete when applying to private school is something called The Candidate Statement. Here's what it is involved in preparing this document.
October 19, 2016
Making your job application easy to read will help your application make the first cut.
October 18, 2016
Submit your employment application the way a Swiss watch craftsman builds a watch. With precision and accuracy.