Grades: NS-6 | 92 students
'If young people are to meet the challenges of survival that faces them today, it is imperative that they develop to the fullest extent possible their potential for creativity, initiative, independence, inner discipline and self-confidence. This is the central focus of Montessori education' - Maria Montessori
The exercises in Practical Life are the very heart of Montessori education. As young children wash tables, pour liquids, polish silver, sweep and dust, they are developing the inner aptitudes of calmness, order, concentration, coordination, and fine motor skills. At the same time, through the process of learning to meet their own needs, learning to take care of the classroom
Mathematics The Montessori Mathematics program consists of sequential exercises that start with more concrete lessons, and move forward into the highly abstract. The fundamental goal of Montessori education is to stimulate the child's reasoning ability by the developing the mathematical mind. The math presentations require the use of concrete materials conceived to be manipulated and explored until the child's mine
Founded in 1995, the Children's Tree Montessori School offers authentic Montessori education to children from age 1 to 6th grade. In a nurturing, child-centered environment children can develop independence, creativity, and a lifelong love of learning. Children are respected and learn respect for themselves, others, and their environment. Students benefit from small classes, which are led by Montessori-certified teachers.
In the "Nest", toddlers ages 1-3 develop language, motor and life skills with the help of Montessori materials in a safe, clean and calm environment.
In the preschool and Kindergarten classrooms, children ages 3-6 use hands-on materials to develop reading, writing and math skills at a young age, that set them up for success in elementary school. Elementary students work with an individualized curriculum based on their needs and abilities.
This way children can learn ahead of their grade level in subjects they are especially talented in, instead of being held back and doing what everyone else is doing. CTMS provides children and their parents an alternative to public school education.
Students come from all over - Old Saybrook, Clinton, Westbrook, Chester, Old Lyme, East Lyme, Essex and Middletown, to name a few. Our school is more than just a building and teachers though--it is a community made up of all the different families who believe in a better form of educating our children.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)
Other Montessori association(s)
National Association for the Education of Young Children
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-6|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||92 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 24%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||12 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||17 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Mar. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$10,000|
|Tuition Notes||tuition is dependant on schedule|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$3,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Marci Martindale|
|Admissions Associate||Nicole Atwood|
|Total Sports Offered||2 sports|
|Sports||Ballet, DanceBallet, Dance,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||9 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Art, Dance, Forigen Languages, Music Together, Piano, Theater, Trapeeze, Yoga, music Art, Dance, Music Together, Piano, Theater, Trapeeze, Yoga, music, Forigen Languages,
- Our mission at The Children's Tree Montessori is to provide a carefully planned, stimulating environment in which children can develop a solid foundation through creative learning. We believe that the Montessori method of education helps children develop a positive attitude towards school, builds their self-confidence, strengthens their ability to concentrate and fosters an abiding curiosity. We help each child develop habits of initiative and persistence by fostering inner security and a sense of order in the child.
- The goals of the primary level are to foster independence and to support the child in moving toward self-control and mastery of the surrounding environment. The Primary classrooms are prepared Montessori environments designed to encourage the child in a self-directed discovery of the world. The curriculum, environment and schedule intertwine to allow the child to develop a deep love for learning and to attain trust in his own ability to learn.
- The Elementary program offers a continuum built on the Primary experience. In the Montessori elementary, the child's own questions provide the basis for exploration of the world. Because those questions are heeded and nurtured, the child truly connects with knowledge. Subject matter is made relevant to the child's personal learning journey, providing an inner motivation. A Montessori education does not give a child a collection of isolated facts, but rather shares a vision of interrelated knowledge and a love of learning.
- Goals for our Students: At The Children's Tree we help our students: develop a positive attitude toward himself/herself, school and life become a self-confident, independent learner form habits of concentration in his/her work develop initiative and persistence achieve inner security and a sense of order develop his/her sensory motor skills earn social skills achieve a higher level of intelligence and imagination
- Teaching each other - In multi-aged classrooms, younger children are constantly stimulated by the interesting work that the older ones are engaged in. The older children in Montessori classes often help the younger children with their work, actually teaching lessons or correcting errors
- Research is very clear that young children learn by observing and manipulating their environment, not through textbooks and workbook exercises. The Montessori materials give the child concrete sensorial impression of abstract concepts, such as long division, that become the foundation for a lifetime understanding.
- The social life of the Montessori elementary is defined by the fact that students can move around. They don't have to sit at a desk all day long. Students work together, either helping one another master skills or information, or working together on group projects. They also have the freedom to choose to work individually, mastering skills that are of interest to them.
- Students will typically be found scattered around the classroom, working alone or with one or two others. They tend to become so involved in their work that visitors tend to be amazed at the peaceful atmosphere
- When the primary child is provided with an environment that encourages emotional, social, physical and academic skills to develop the child gains a positive attitude about himself, school, other people and the world! This essential foundation ensures future success in learning and in life.
- Making use of things mostly found around the home, these activities promote learning of skills that also enable them to participate fully and independently in their home life. With independence comes also the building of the child's self-confidence and initiative which carries out to his attitude towards learning in general
- Montessori schools are normally small close-knit communities of children, teachers, and parents. They are like an extended family. Everyone knows everyone else. Children become close and remain friends with their teachers and both younger and older classmates. They grow up and study together for many years. While there may not be as many other children in the school to form your children's circle of friends as they would find in a larger school, their friendships will tend to be closer and will last a lifetime.
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Old SaybrookGrades: PK-8 | 196 students
42 Maynard Rd
Old Saybrook, CT 06475
158 Westbrook Rd.
Essex, CT 06426
WestbrookGrades: 8-12 | 48 students
1393 Boston Post Road
Westbrook, CT 06498
Deep RiverGrades: 9-12 | 39 students
135 Kirtland St
Deep River, CT 06417
East HaddamGrades: 8-12 | 90 students
140 River Road
East Haddam, CT 06423
Love the school for my elementary aged daughters. Teachers are wonderful! My daughters are learning so much more than they were in traditional school. The best part is that they are begging to go to school each day!
- Posted by Parent, 07/24/15