Grades: PK-12 | 2030 students
The Harker School's middle school campus includes this spacious amphitheater, multiple fields, theater space and a regulation gym.
The Harker School's middle school library is home base for students. Our libraries feature full-time librarians and hundreds of resources, including online reference databases.
The Harker School's park-like preschool campus features cottages for the various age groups, and specialty classes and spaces for the STEM lab, art, music & movement, library and the Farm.
All of The Harker School preschool teachers hold bachelor degrees in areas such as early childhood education, child development and psychology. Many have advanced degrees.
The Harker School's middle school gym currently hosts both middle and upper school court sports. A new gym and theater are being built on the upper school campus with a winter 2017 completion date for the gym and a spring 2018 completion date for the theater.
The lower school campus hosts K-grade 5, with a special designated play area for kindergartners, another for grades 1-3, and an activity area for grades 4-5.
Each year all Harker second graders participate in the Ogre Awards, acting out folk tales from around the world to bring these wonderful and enlightening stories to life.
The Harker School's students benefit from inspiring teachers and state-of-the-art equipment, such as this human anatomy table, to spark their passions and deepen their learning.
Founded in 1893, The Harker School offers a coed, independent program for students in preschool-grade 12 on four beautiful campuses in the heart of Silicon Valley.Harker is one of the top prep schools in the nation and the largest Pre-12 independent school in the state, and its upper school sends its graduates to the finest universities and colleges in the country.
Students reach their full potential through small class sizes, performance placement at most grade levels, integration of state-of-the-art technology at all grade levels, AP and honors offerings, a full-time counseling staff and highly qualified faculty.
Harker is a dynamic community that honors individuality, embraces diversity and prepares students to take their places as global citizens.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||2030 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||222 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Number of AP Courses||29 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 14 / Jan. 28|
|Tuition Notes||K-12 tuition ranges from $32,870 to $43,692. Lunch included in Gr. 6-12 tuition. Extensive after-school programs included in all tuitions.|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Admissions Director||Danielle Holquin, Gr. 6-8|
|Admissions Associate||Diann Chung, K-Gr. 5|
|Total Sports Offered||16 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Dance, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water Polo, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,
Cheering, Cross Country,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
Water Polo, Wrestling,
- Since 2006, the first year it began entering these competitions, Harker has had 70 Intel Science Talent Search semi-finalists,10 finalists and two winners. (Harker's first upper school graduating class was in 2002.)
- Each year over 50% of students are recognized annually by the College Board in the National Merit Scholarship Program.
- In 2007 Harker students represented the U.S. at the J8 Summit (a parallel youth event to the G8 Summit) in Germany.
- In the K-Gr. 8 program, 90% of the students participate in the comprehensive after-school program, which is included in tuition.
- Upper school students participate in CCS sports teams and dozens of clubs and social activities.
- The K-12 performing arts department has put on well over 200 performances in the past 10 years, and the elite upper school Harker Conservatory traveled to Edinburgh by invitation to perform at the 2007, 2011 and 2015 Fringe Festivals.
- In 2016, boys varsity golf took third in CCS and played in the state championships, Girls volleyball teams took second in state in 2007, and made CCS playoffs in 2013, the CCS semifinals in 2014 and 2015.
- In May 2015, the Harker upper school debate team was recognized by the Tournament of Champions (TOC) as a School of Excellence by the National Speech & Debate Association, as the team with the most success in all TOC events. In June 2015, the middle school team set a record by winning the Overall School of Excellence Award for the fourth time. This award, given by the National Speech & Debate Association, is presented to the top three teams in the country. It is the highest honor a middle school program can achieve.
Profile last updated: 06/07/2016
- School Location Miles Grades Students
SunnyvaleGrades: 6-12 | 950 students
562 North Britton Avenue
Sunnyvale, CA 94085
San JoseGrades: 9-12 | 1604 students
960 W Hedding St
San Jose, CA 95126
AthertonGrades: 6-12 | 795 students
50 Valparaiso Ave
Atherton, CA 94027
Pebble BeachGrades: PK-12 | 732 students
3152 Forest Lake Road
Pebble Beach, CA 93953
PasadenaGrades: KG-12 | 859 students
1030 E California Blvd
Pasadena, CA 91106