|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
National Independent Private Schools Association
International Baccalaureate (IB) World School
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||English as an Additional Language|
|Total Students||432 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||86 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||18 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 18|
|Admissions Director||Nadia Meier|
|Admissions Associate||Megan Harris|
|Total Sports Offered||6 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, Softball, TennisBaseball, Basketball,
Cross Country, Soccer,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||27 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||3D Printing, Architecture, Art, Band, Builders, Chess, Chorus, Creative writing, Dance, Drama, Engineering with LEGO, Golf, Hiking, Jewelry Making, Knitting, Math Club, Minecraft, Model UN, Mother Tongue, Photography, Private music instruction, Robotics, Rock Band, Scratch, Theater, Yoga, iMovie Filmmaking 3D Printing, Architecture, Art, Band, Builders, Chess, Chorus, Dance, Drama, Golf, Hiking, Jewelry Making, Knitting, Math Club, Minecraft, Model UN, Mother Tongue, Photography, Robotics, Rock Band, Scratch, Theater, Yoga, Creative writing,
Engineering with LEGO,
Private music instruction,
- Whitby is a co-educational independent school for students age 18 months through grade 8, located on an idyllic 25-acre campus in Greenwich.
- Premier Montessori early childhood program nurtures a child's natural curiosity for learning at a very early age.
- With the world renowned International Baccalaureate Program, Whitby is an academically forward and challenging environment that inspires Lower and Middle School students to the highest levels of achievement.
- Whitby`s educational philosophy encourages students to engage in their own learning, discover meaningful connections across subjects and with the real world, and become fearless achievers.
- Our World Languages program introduces Spanish at age 18months and intensifies as our students progress, so that by Middle School graduation our students are speaking, reading and writing in Spanish. Language instruction in French and Chinese are also offered.
- Robust Athletics and Co-Curricular program built into the school day starting in 5th grade.
- Our curriculum also incorporates a visual and performing arts, interscholastic sports, health instruction; counselor support, community service and global citizenship activities, and international travel for older students.
- Comprehensive secondary school placement program focuses on best fit school selection, standardized test preparation and interview skills.
- The results are that two-thirds of students qualify for the prestigious John Hopkins Talent Search. Graduates find success in both acceptance rates and achievement at highly competitive secondary schools, with 90 percent accepted at their first choice of high school.
- Whitby families and faculty come from over 40 countries and speak more than 23 languages to foster cross-cultural learning. This motivated community of parents, students, faculty and staff are part of an internationally-aware culture that nurtures students to be responsible, global citizens.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
GreenwichGrades: PK-9 | 864 students
Po Box 623
Greenwich, CT 06836
StamfordGrades: PK-12 | 664 students
1450 Newfield Ave
Stamford, CT 06905
New CanaanGrades: 5-12 | 550 students
377 North Wilton Road
New Canaan, CT 06840
StamfordGrades: NS-8 | 98 students
1095 Riverbank Road
Stamford, CT 06903
Greens FarmsGrades: PK-12 | 657 students
35 Beachside Avenue
Greens Farms, CT 06838
We have had two children at Whitby from pre-k to 4th grade. We simply can not say enough about what an extraordinary school Whitby is. One of our children is a voracious learner who thrives with Whitby's practice of letting her continually advance. Our other child also loves the high volume learning, but needs more structure and support, and Whitby's great staff and teachers seamlessly offer that as well. Teaching is advancing as rapidly as everything else in our lives. We are so excited to be at a school where the leadership and teachers constantly study, learn and implement the best, proven teaching practices. All with tremendous love and care. This is an amazing place.
- Posted by Parent - Eddyr
Whitby has always been known for its preschool and early elementary years excellence, but it is, in recent years- with its integration of the International Baccalaureate program and the recent arrival of the new Head of School (one of the leading educators in the IB world) -becoming a leader in upper elementary and middle school education in the Greenwich area. Our son, now in third grade, has been at Whitby since preschool and has experienced not only the best in academic teaching (tailored to his specific need for exceptional challenge in the classroom), but his teachers also have provided for him a warm environment that has led to extraordinary social development. The athletics program has undergone a complete overhaul in recent years, and we have been able to watch exceptional athletic team performances over the last several weeks. Any family that values an outstanding and challenging academic curriculum, emphasis on teamwork both on and off the field, and an unsurpassed welcoming sense of community should consider Whitby. It is well worth the investment!
- Posted by Parent - monic