Grades: K-8 | 205 students
Alexandria Country Day School provides its students with an educational program that inspires curiosity and intellectual engagement, prepares them to succeed in the most challenging high schools, and allows them to discover who they are in a safe and caring environment.
The development of strong communication skills, with particular emphasis on public speaking, is a hallmark of the School’s academic program.
Small class size allows for frequent individual attention.
Technology is integrated into all classrooms, and every student in third through eighth grade is issued his or her own iPad.
Among Alexandria Country Day’s greatest assets is its Kindergarten through eighth grade structure.
From the teachers we hire to the facility we occupy and the curriculum we teach, this configuration allows us to focus on the unique needs of children ages 5 to 14 without the distractions and very different social and academic dynamics a high school brings.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Other school association(s)
Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Total Students||205 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 26%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||30 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||13 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(Khaki pants, skirt or dress and a green or white shirt or blouse)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Grades K-3 tuition: $26,300 Grades 4-8 tuition: $28,480|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Admissions Director||Julie Lewis|
|Total Sports Offered||7 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Ultimate FrisbeeBasketball, Cross Country,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||1 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||We have a robust after school program with a wide range of activities offered We have a robust after school program with a wide range of activities offered,
Application Process Age Requirements Kindergarten applicants must be five years of age by September 1 of the year they plan to enroll.
- Application The first step in the process is to submit an application along with the $75 fee.
- Student Visit Student visits occur after an application has been submitted. Kindergarten and Grade 1 prospective students will visit for a half-day. Grade 2-8 prospective students will visit for a full-day. Additionally, if at all possible we will visit a Kindergarten applicant’s current school to observe the child in a familiar environment.
- Parent Interview The parent interview is an opportunity for you to ask questions about ACDS, to further inform us about your child, and for us to get to know you. The interview will be scheduled once the application has been received.
- Teacher Recommendations Kindergarten and Grade 1 – One current teacher recommendation is required. Grades 2-8 – Two current teacher recommendations are required.
- Testing Kindergarten applicants are required to take the WPPSI-IV (Wechsler Preschool Primary Scale of Intelligence Test, Fourth Edition). First grade applicants, depending on their age, are required to take either the WPPSI-IV or the WISC-V (Wechsler Intelligence for Children, Fourth Edition). Applicants for grades 2-5 are required to take the WISC-V. Applicants for grades 6-8 are required to take the ISEE or SSAT. The school code is 472603 for ISEE and 1190 for SSAT. Please register at www.erbtest.org (ISEE) or www.ssat.org (SSAT).
- School Records Kindergarten and 1st grade: please submit any records and testing information that is available. Grades 1-8: please include a transcript of all courses and grades for past years and the current year and all testing information available.
- Student Writing Sample Grades 6-8 applicants only: Questions for writing sample are included in the application.
- A completed file includes: Application Application Fee WPPSI-IV, WISC- V, ISEE or SSAT Test Results School Transcript (current year and past two years) if applicable Teacher Recommendation, one for K-1 and two for grades 2-8 Writing Sample (Grades 6-8 only) Student Visit Parent Interview
Profile last updated: 07/24/2015
Nearby Private Schools:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
AlexandriaGrades: PK-8 | 143 students
1801 Russell Road
Alexandria, VA 22301
AlexandriaGrades: NS-5 | 101 students
3601 Russell Road
Alexandria, VA 22305
AlexandriaGrades: PK-8 | 238 students
3801 Russell Rd
Alexandria, VA 22305
AlexandriaGrades: PK-8 | 346 students
1417 W Braddock Rd
Alexandria, VA 22302
AlexandriaGrades: 3-12 | 164 students
1321 Leslie Avenue
Alexandria, VA 22301
Rental Market Monitor
January 25, 2016
This is a very practical list of things you must do before you graduate. The items on this list will enhance your college applications.
January 08, 2016
Here are my picks for 'must have' web sites when it comes to finding out about private K-12 schools.
January 05, 2016
Many parents search for an answer to the question "How do I provide the kind of religious education I want for my child?" Religious education is a very personal, subjective matter. We explore some of your options.