Grades: NS-6 | 116 students
Following the pioneering educational philosophy developed by Dr. Maria Montessori, Amherst Montessori School nurtures the child's spirit, curiosity, confidence, and leadership, building the foundation for a lifelong love of learning.
AMS programs feature thoughtfully-prepared classrooms to support the child's development, and a curriculum that integrates music, art, practical life skills, outdoor time, PE, Spanish and more. Following the Montessori curriculum, AMS children study in multi-age classrooms: Infant (ages 6-15 months), Young Toddler (ages 10-24 months), Toddler (ages 18-33 months), Children's House (ages 3-6 years), Lower Elementary (grades 1-3) and Upper Elementary (grades 4-6).
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)
Association of Independent Schools in New England (AISNE)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-6|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild learning differences|
|Total Students||116 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 24%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||15 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$15,250|
|Tuition Notes||The above is for a 5-day, school day preschool/kindergarten tuition. See our website for specific tuition for various programs.|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Admissions Director||Devon Cruz|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||3 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||MadScience, Private music lessons- piano, band, strings, Soccer MadScience, Soccer, Private music lessons- piano, band, strings,
- Located in South Amherst and serving families throughout the Pioneer Valley of western Massacusetts, Amherst Montessori School is a warm, safe, and supportive community that nurtures a lifelong love of learning. Our teachers skillfully guide and challenge young children toward confidence, independence, leadership, and compassion. Children six months to sixth grade build powerful connections in mixed-age classrooms through thoughtfully-prepared, differentiated, and experiential learning opportunities.
- Following the pioneering Montessori educational philosophy, we honor and celebrate the unique learning path of every child. Children play and learn in multi-age classrooms for Infant (ages 6-18 months), Young Toddler (10-24 months), Toddler (18-33 months), Children's House (ages 3-6 years), Lower Elementary (grades 1-3), and Upper Elementary (grades 4-6). By providing an environment rich in learning materials and opportunities, Montessori teachers (called 'Guides) nuture the child's innate sense of curiosity while they encourage hands-on exploration inside and outside the classroom. The teachers are "scientists of child learning" -- they observe the children, following them, yet guiding them to challenge themselves and pursue their curiosities.
- Founded in 1970, AMS recently moved into a new building in South Amherst that was built with the child's needs in mind. Each classroom is filled with sunlight, plants, and natural materials, all designed to cultivate curiosity and foster independence. Days at Amherst Montessori School are fun and physically active. Classroom and playground time is enriched with interesting activities that harness children`s natural inclination to explore and play - all while teaching important skills and concepts for academic success.
- Our community welcomes students and families of all backgrounds and currently provides financial aid or tuition assistance to roughly 30% of our students. We invite you to schedule a tour or to call Devon Cruz, Director of Enrollment to see if Amherst Montessori is the right fit for your family. Please visit amherstmontessori.org or call 413-253-3101.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
NorthamptonGrades: K-7 | 275 students
Gill Hall Prospect St
Northampton, MA 01063
South HadleyGrades: PK-K | 8 students
27 Morgan St
South Hadley, MA 01075
AmherstGrades: K-7 | 119 students
Po Box 2248
Amherst, MA 01004
SpringfieldGrades: PK-8 | 101 students
1190 Liberty St
Springfield, MA 01104
January 11, 2017
Letters of interest and cover letters are frequently used interchangeably even though they have different purposes.
January 03, 2017
When you visit schools, please don't make the following common mistakes. A little thought and preparation will help you make the best impression possible.
December 21, 2016
Bullying has gone electronic. It's called cyberbullying and it is rampant.