Our community is built on five core values: Academic Excellence, Honorable Conduct, Dedicated Service, Earnest Effort, and Wellness of Mind, Body, and Spirit. Our school motto, Poteris Modo Velis ('You can if you will') highlights our community's emphasis on determination, effort, and resilience.
Fay School is located on a 66-acre campus 25 miles from Boston in Southborough, Massachusetts, and is the oldest junior boarding school in the United States. Fay currently serves students in Pre-Kindergarten through grade nine, with an optional boarding program starting in grade seven.
Fay School's boarding program, an option for seventh, eighth, and ninth graders, is specifically designed to meet the unique needs of junior boarders. Our boarding students come from across the United States and more than 20 countries: together, they learn and grow in an environment of care and respect, while developing essential life skills that foster independence and self-confidence.
Fay's traditional curriculum is balanced with innovation in every discipline. The School's Innovation Lab is the home base for a Creator's Curriculum, where students in every grade level learn to design, build, and create. The Lab is a fully-equipped maker's space' that includes hand tools for woodworking, 3D printers, laser cutters, and computers equipped with programming and design software.
Our arts programs are central to inspiring the creative spirit in our students. From kindergarten onward, all students have weekly instruction in music and visual arts. Drama and dance are also part of our program, with opportunities for students across the grade levels.
Service learning is part of the program at every grade level, but in Upper School, our students leave Southborough for weeklong service adventures that are life-changing opportunities to experience the world in a brand new way.
Walk our halls, and you'll see global learning in action. Our boarding students come from across the United States and over 20 countries, and Upper School students have the unique opportunity to make meaningful friendships with peers from around the world. Through our cross-grade partnerships, our Primary and Lower School students also benefit from our international students' experiences and perspectives.
The Primary School program at Fay serves children in Pre-Kindergarten through grade two. In small classes and intimate homeroom settings, students build skills in reading, writing, mathematics, and social studies. Students also meet with specialists each week for classes in science, art, music, library, and physical education.
- Fay School is located in Southborough, Massachusetts, 25 miles west of Boston. Nestled in the heart of a classic New England town, our campus offers the best of what a spacious rural campus has to offer while still being a short drive from one of the great cities of the world. Our 66-acre campus includes state-of-the-art classrooms, two libraries, athletic facilities, art studio space, music rooms, and an Innovation Lab for technology, engineering, and design. Our homelike dormitories for our boarding students feature comfortable bedrooms and common spaces, and faculty apartments to ensure 24-hour supervision and care.
- Fay School`s boarding program, an option for seventh, eighth, and ninth graders, is specifically designed to meet the unique needs of junior boarders. Our boarding students come from across the United States and more than 20 countries: together, they learn and grow in an environment of care and respect, while developing essential life skills that foster independence and self-confidence.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
Association of Independent Schools in New England (AISNE)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-9|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||75 teachers|
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||14 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 15 / Feb. 1 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Day Students $13,910 - $39,440, Domestic Boarding Students (7-Day) $63,510 - $65,300, Domestic Boarding Students (5-Day) $57,110 - $58,900, International Boarding Students $66,460 - $68,250 International Boarding Students - ESL $69,810 - $71,610|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$23,525|
|Admissions Director||Beth Whitney|
|Total Sports Offered||15 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,
Cross Country, Field Hockey,
Ice Hockey, Lacrosse,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||14 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Admission Tour Guides, Chess Club, Contest Math, Debate Club, Fitness, Literary Magazine, Newspaper, Outdoor Adventure, Quilting, Robotics Team, Skiing, Student Government, Tennis, Yearbook Chess Club, Contest Math, Debate Club, Fitness, Newspaper, Quilting, Robotics Team, Skiing, Tennis, Yearbook, Admission Tour Guides,
- Fay School is a day and boarding school for students in Pre-Kindergarten through grade nine. While the School has grown and evolved since its founding in 1866, our central purpose has remained constant: we provide our students with the foundation for a meaningful life. Fay's broad and challenging program empowers students to discover their talents, develop their intellectual abilities, establish essential academic skills and knowledge, and define their moral character - all essential to living a life of meaning and making a positive difference in the world.
- Our community is built on five core values: Academic Excellence, Honorable Conduct, Dedicated Service, Earnest Effort, and Wellness of Mind, Body, and Spirit. Our school motto, Poteris Modo Velis ("You can if you will") highlights our community's emphasis on determination, effort, and resilience.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
ConcordGrades: NS-8 | 316 students
200 Strawberry Hill Road
Concord, MA 01742
ConcordGrades: 9-12 | 383 students
166 Main Street
Concord, MA 01742
Chestnut HillGrades: 6-12 | 451 students
791 Hammond St
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
BelmontGrades: PK-8 | 272 students
55 Day School Lane
Belmont, MA 02478
NorthboroughGrades: PK-8 | 472 students
266 Main St
Northborough, MA 01532
Immediately after my oldest daughter enrolled at Fay several years ago, her "spark" returned (it had gone out during her years in public school). Her younger brother now attends too. Both children love Fay, love school, and love learning. Their teachers are intelligent, professional, friendly, and encouraging, and their classes are stimulating and challenging. They are truly eager to get to school each day, and they are full of exciting stories from school every night. I appreciate that my children are getting a first-rate academic education, arts education, service learning education, athletics education, and character education -- all while having a fun childhood experience with their friends at Fay. I am very grateful to Fay School. My kids are learning that they have unlimited potential, and that they can achieve anything. As a parent, I could not be more satisfied.
- Posted by Parent - 1354j
March 23, 2017
Teachers need to learn how to be Facebook savvy. Otherwise Facebook will cause them lots of problems.
March 21, 2017
Future and current employers can find out all sorts of things about you these days. Make sure that you don't leave behind any damning electronic evidence.
March 21, 2017
Asking good questions at your job interview will improve your chances. Conversely asking bad questions will damage them.