George Stevens Academy
|School Membership(s)||New England Association of Schools and Colleges
Other school association(s)
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades 9 - 12|
|Total Students||302 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||2% (ME School Avg.: 9%)|
|Students by Grade|
|Academics and Faculty|
|Total Classroom Teachers||31 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1 (National school avg.: 13:1)|
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||50%|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Number of AP Courses||7 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Average SAT score||1525|
|Matriculation Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom dress code||Casual|
|Finances and Admission|
|Admission Deadline||Mar. 1 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Home Stay: $35,000 Boarding: $35,000|
|Admissions Director||Libby Irwin|
|Total Sports Offered||12 sports|
|Tennis||Track and Field|
- UNIQUE PROGRAMS
- Independent Study: Every 11th and 12th grade student in good academic standing is eligible to spend two to three weeks in February and March doing a self-designed independent study research project or a professional internship. Recent ISIP projects have included legal assistance, language immersion, marketing, music composition, graphic design, architecture, desktop publishing, jewelry-making, firefighting, elementary education, and volunteering with a medical mission in Ecuador.
- Alternative Course Contracts An Alternative Course Contract provides an opportunity for a student to take a course not offered in the regular curriculum. A student, in consultation with the Office of Student Services and a member of the GSA faculty, may design the curriculum and write a course proposal that will include a description of the course, goals and objectives, and the amount of credit to be earned.
- Arts Festival Every spring the students and faculty at GSA spend a week celebrating the Arts. Local artists come to GSA and conduct dozens of workshops in the arts: dance, music, film, painting, poetry, creative writing, woodworking, metal-tooling, photography, and more. Students participate in arts workshops during the mornings, and enjoy all-school arts performances in the afternoons. All students are encouraged to join workshops.
- Haystack Mentorships The Haystack Mountain School of Crafts in nearby Deer Isle offers several extraordinary opportunities for GSA students throughout the year: in the Fall, students may attend a three-day intensive workshop in one of six arts disciplines: blacksmithing, metals, quilts, clay, printmaking, and wood sculpture. In the spring, Haystack artists offer Saturday "mentorship" programs.
Profile last updated: 01/09/2012
Related School Videos:
George Stevens Academy Jazz Band
3 months ago
George Stevens Academy Varsity Sailing 2012
11 months ago
GSA Makes Old Toys New for Tree of Life
4 months ago
District VI High School Jazz Festival at GSA
1 year ago.
Related School News:
- Longtime School Bus Driver Dies - Patch.com
posted on March 19, 2013 at 01:39:53 pm
Longtime School Bus Driver DiesPatch.comArthur grew up on a scenic farm in South Blue Hill, Maine, the son to Leon and Prudence Sylvester. He ...
- MDI High wins drama festival - Fenceviewer
posted on March 11, 2013 at 01:20:49 pm
MDI High wins drama festivalFenceviewerBAR HARBOR ? Mount Desert Island High School came in first place among Class B schools at the Eastern ...
- MDI jazz bands gets high marks - Fenceviewer
posted on March 6, 2013 at 09:47:51 pm
MDI jazz bands gets high marksFenceviewerSponsored by Maine Music Educators Association, the annual festivals are the musical equivalent of tournament ...
Gr. 9-12 | 0 mi. away
Gr. Nursery/Preschool-8 | 2.2 mi. away
Gr. 9-12 | 2.2 mi. away
Gr. K | 4.8 mi. away
Gr. 5-12 | 7.7 mi. away
Gr. 3-12 | 10.3 mi. away