Grades: 9 - 12 | 80 students
The overarching mission of the Purnell Athletic Department is for each individual student to experience the benefits of physical fitness, healthy living, and the camaraderie that comes from being a part of a team. A variety of athletic activities, from non-competitive offerings to competitive team sports affords Purnell students of every athletic ability and interest the opportunity to find a sport that suits them best.
Purnell offers highly individualized student services. While most schools have advising, our program provides each girl one-on-one advisor time for a half hour or more weekly. Our school day also has an hour built in when teachers are on hand to provide extra help. This time does not conflict with any other scheduled events.
Purnell accepts girls who will be more successful in a smaller setting where their talents and personalities are celebrated and they are not lost in the crowd. A Purnell girl may have a strong interest in the arts, or may want to get off the bench and onto the playing fields. Whatever her background, a girl's talents are recognized and nurtured here.
Purnell is a girls’ college preparatory boarding and day school where girls with learning differences can flourish.
The school serves girls from grade 9 through 12 and also offers a one year post graduate program.
Students learn to be ethical, independent, self-confident young women with a greater appreciation of the world around them.
They understand how to be successful in a creative, supportive, and reflective environment that encompasses not only their lives in the classroom, but also their pride as participants in a vibrant residential community.
Dedicated faculty act as mentors who understand how all types of minds learn.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
New Jersey Association of Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades 9 - 12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||ADHD, Language-based Learning Differences, Dyslexia, Executive Functioning|
|Total Students||80 students|
|Student Body Type||All-girls|
|% Students of Color||23%
State avg.: 31%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||23 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||65%|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
(jeans, kilt, sweater, oxford)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$52,550|
|Tuition Notes||5-Day Boarding Student Tuition: $50,550; Day Student Tuition: $44,350; International Student Tuition: $57,800|
|% on Financial Aid||26%|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$18,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Beth A. Rainey|
|Admissions Associate||Charlotte Lillard|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Equestrian, Soccer, SoftballBasketball, Cross Country,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||20 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Adlibbers-Acting Group, Art Club, Big Sisters, Choir, Community Service Club, Dance Synthesis, Environmental Club, Equestrian, Fashion Design, Floor Leaders, Knitting Club, Peer Leaders, Recycling Club, Red Team/Blue Team, School Tour Guides, Shoots and Strawberries Singing Group, Student Council, Student Library Club, Technical Theater, Yearbook Art Club, Big Sisters, Choir, Equestrian, Fashion Design, Floor Leaders, Knitting Club, Peer Leaders, Recycling Club, Yearbook, Adlibbers-Acting Group,
Community Service Club,
Red Team/Blue Team,
School Tour Guides,
Shoots and Strawberries Singing Group,
Student Library Club,
- Purnell is a girls’ college preparatory boarding and day school where girls with learning differences can flourish. The school serves girls from grade 9 through 12 and also offers a one year post graduate program.
- Purnell graduates have described Purnell as the single "best thing to ever happen to me." We are college preparatory, teach hands-on, innovative units and have a strong support system in place that allows all girls to feel integrated into the community and an important person in her own right. We are a traditional boarding school that serves a unique niche.
- We have an exceptional performing and fine arts department and many graduates go on to professional careers in the arts.
- We offer seven and five-day boarding as well as day student programs. Tuition for the 5-day boarding program is $52,765. Day student tuition is $39,865.
- Purnell offers a wide variety of aid. We provide grants to low, medium and even upper middle level incomes so that the school can be affordable to all.
- Purnell is located on 83 acres in rural, equestrian New Jersey. Safe, peaceful yet close to the vibrancy of New York City and Philadelphia.
- School accreditations: Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
Profile last updated: 07/16/2015
- School Location Miles Grades Students
GladstoneGrades: NS-8 | 137 students
1150 Pottersville Road
Gladstone, NJ 07934
Far HillsGrades: PK-8
697 Mine Brook Road/Route 202, PO Box 8
Far Hills, NJ 07931
GladstoneGrades: NS-12 | 670 students
St. Bernard's Road
Gladstone, NJ 07934
PeapackGrades: KG-12 | 60 students
Po Box 339
Peapack, NJ 07977
GladstoneGrades: 1-12 | 64 students
Po Box 710
Gladstone, NJ 07934
Rental Market Monitor
August 09, 2015
Voucher programs have gained a lot of traction since 1989 when the first voucher program appeared in Milwaukee. We look at how things are playing out in 2015.
July 12, 2015
Many parents tend to dismiss the idea of sending their children to private school without exploring it in depth. We explore this and several more related subjects.
June 28, 2015
When it comes to choosing a private school, there are so many choices to consider that the project can be a huge challenge to most of us. We offer some help and advice to help you get started.