|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
New Jersey Association of Independent Schools
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 9 - 12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||ADHD, Mild LD|
|Total Students||80 students|
|Student Body Type||All-girls|
|% Students of Color||23% (NJ School Avg.: 29%)|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||23 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1 (National school avg.: 13:1)|
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||65%|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
(jeans, kilt, sweater, oxford)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$52,550|
|Tuition Notes||5-Day Boarding Student Tuition: $50,550; Day Student Tuition: $44,350; International Student Tuition: $57,800|
|% on Financial Aid||26%|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$18,000|
|Admissions Director||Nicole Moon|
|Admissions Associate||Gena Parks|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Equestrian, Soccer, SoftballBasketball, Cross Country,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||20 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Adlibbers-Acting Group, Art Club, Big Sisters, Choir, Community Service Club, Dance Synthesis, Environmental Club, Equestrian, Fashion Design, Floor Leaders, Knitting Club, Peer Leaders, Recycling Club, Red Team/Blue Team, School Tour Guides, Shoots and Strawberries Singing Group, Student Council, Student Library Club, Technical Theater, Yearbook Art Club, Big Sisters, Choir, Equestrian, Fashion Design, Floor Leaders, Knitting Club, Peer Leaders, Recycling Club, Yearbook, Adlibbers-Acting Group,
Community Service Club,
Red Team/Blue Team,
School Tour Guides,
Shoots and Strawberries Singing Group,
Student Library Club,
- Purnell is a small girls boarding school that focuses on the success of every student. We take girls from a wide variety of backgrounds and help them find success and discover and what they are best at doing.
- We accept students with mild learning disabilities, students who are talented in the performing arts and students who need a smaller environment to thrive in. Average students can shine here where every student "sits in the front row."
- Purnell graduates have described Purnell as the single "best thing to ever happen to me." We are college preparatory, teach hands-on, innovative units and have a strong support system in place that allows all girls to feel integrated into the community and an important person in her own right. We are a traditional boarding school that serves a unique niche.
- We have an exceptional performing and fine arts department and many graduates go on to professional careers in the arts.
- We offer seven and five-day boarding as well as day student programs. Tuition for the 5-day boarding program is $48,800. Day student tuition is $42,800.
- Purnell offers a wide variety of aid. We provide grants to low, medium and even upper middle level incomes so that the school can be affordable to all.
- Purnell is located on 83 acres in rural, equestrian New Jersey. Safe, peaceful yet close to the vibrancy of New York City and Philadelphia.
- School accreditations: Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
Profile last updated: 09/05/2012
Gladstone The Willow School
Far Hills Far Hills Country Day School
Gladstone Gill St. Bernard's School
Gladstone Montgomery Academy
Special Education School2.9 mi | 64 students | Gr. 1-12 1 Review
Peapack Matheny School
Special Education School3.4 mi | 70 students | Gr. K-12