|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 9 - 12|
|Total Students||171 students|
|Student Body Type||All-girls|
|% Students of Color||20% (NY School Avg.: 28%)|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||31 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1 (National school avg.: 13:1)|
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||90%|
|Average Class Size||11 students|
|Number of AP Courses||15 courses|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 19 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$16,950|
|% on Financial Aid||40%|
|Admissions Director||Carrie Auwarter|
|Admissions Associate||Moira Giammaresi|
|Total Sports Offered||10 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Crew, Fencing, Field Hockey, Golf,
Lacrosse, Soccer, Squash, Swimming, TennisBasketball, Crew,
Fencing, Field Hockey,
- The all-girl advantage: Our single-sex environment encourages girls to dream big and to follow through on their aspirations. Beyond teaching literature, science, math, history, foreign languages, and the arts – we teach confidence.
- Leaders for life: Sem students enjoy not just equal opportunity, but every opportunity. All our class officers, club presidents, team captains, and student mentors are girls.
- College prep that goes beyond standardized testing: Our rigorous academic program, bolstered by an independent curriculum, prepares students to think for themselves, both in and out of the classroom.
- An average class size of 11 students: Our small classes guarantee individual attention, so no student goes unnoticed. Our advisory program also empowers our girls by building positive student-teacher relationships while encouraging open communication with parents.
- Teachers who are as passionate as they are experienced: Our faculty is made up of educators committed to student-centered teaching. Experts in their field, they would still rather listen to Sem girls communicate original ideas than simply hear themselves talk.
- Beloved traditions combined with 21st century learning: Founded in 1851, Sem has a rich history that still resonates today. We combine a respect for the past with a commitment to each girl's future.
- Cutting-edge technology that puts girls in control: Our one-to-one laptop program gives each student access to hands-on, project-based computer learning.
- Student-centered clubs and activities: Whether it's through music, art, drama, or sports, girls find an extracurricular outlet at Sem. Clubs and activities are determined by student interest, and every girl participates in community service throughout her four years.
- A culture of freedom, a code of honor: Sem students enjoy extraordinary autonomy, while embracing a high level of responsibility. Our school honor code fosters trust and respect by preparing girls for the rewards and responsibilities of the 21st century.
- A beautiful building that feels like a home, not an institution: Our 100-year-old building is a warm and nurturing space that makes serious learning a great deal of fun.
- School accreditations: National Association of Independent Schools, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, New York State Association of Independent Schools, New York Department of Education
- Some notable alumnae: Isabella Bannerman - Syndicated cartoonist Lauren Belfer - Best-selling author of City of Light Anne Curtis, Ph.D. - Physicist formerly with the National Institute of Standards and Technology Amy Holden Jones - Screenwriter, movie producer and movie director Hilairy Hartnett, Ph.D. - Researcher and professor of biogeochemistry Susan Hunt - Host on HGTV and former ESPN correspondent Mary Hochreiter Janney - Former mayor of Burlingame, California Amy C. Williams, Ph.D. - Composer, pianist and music professor Amy Beth Taublieb, Ph.D. - Clinical psychologist and author Tara VanDerVeer - Top college coach and 1996 U.S. Olympic Women's Basketball coach
Buffalo Nardin Academy High School
All-girls  (Roman Catholic)0.5 mi | 465 students | Gr. 9-12
Buffalo Nardin Academy
(Roman Catholic)0.5 mi | 941 students | Gr. PK-12
Buffalo Canisius High School
All-boys  (Roman Catholic)0.7 mi | 810 students | Gr. 9-12
Buffalo Nardin Academy Montessori School
Montessori School (Roman Catholic)0.7 mi | 157 students | Gr. K-4
Buffalo Catholic Academy West Buffalo
(Roman Catholic)0.9 mi | 232 students | Gr. K-9