82nd Street Academics
|School Type||Alternative School|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten - 10|
|Total Students||585 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||80% (NY School Avg.: 23%)|
|Students by Grade|
|Academics and Faculty|
|Total Classroom Teachers||65 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1 (National school avg.: 13:1)|
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||10%|
|Average Class Size||20 students|
|Finances and Admission|
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Each program has its own tuition rate and the UPK program and Renaissance After School Program are free.|
|Admissions Director||Yvette Sandoval|
- 82nd Street Academics is a non-profit school in Jackson Heights, New York. We offer Pre-Kindergarten, Universal Pre-Kindergarten, Summer School, After School, and Test Prep programs.
- Private Pre-Kindergarten - 82nd Street Academics provides a private Pre-K program which focuses on the “whole” child. The program works on pre-math skills, pre-reading activities, art, music, gross- and fine-motor skills, and social skills to be ready for Kindergarten. We use resources from Creative Curriculum and Early Start.
- Students can attend Pre-K two, three, or five days a week. Families also have the option of choosing a morning class, which runs from 8:00 AM to 11:00 AM or an afternoon class from 12:00 PM to 3:00 PM.
- The Pre-K program is open to three-year old students.
- Universal Pre-Kindergarten - The 82nd Street Academics UPK program is open to students who are starting Kindergarten the following fall. It is a FREE program sponsored by the New York City Department of Education – qualified students are accepted without cost to the family.
- The UPK program is open five days a week from Monday through Friday.
- Spaces in the UPK program are limited and registration for September begins during the previous spring. We also have an Extended Day option open for UPK families who need a full-day or a half-day of care.
- After School Achievement Club - The 82nd Street Academics After School Achievement Club is a place where school age students (Kindergarten through 5th Grade) can complete their daily homework, get a hot meal, and do projects with friends. The program begins every day (Monday through Friday) at 3:00 PM and is open until 6:30 PM.
- Enrichment classes include Music and Drama, and we also offer private piano lessons as an optional additional service.
- Summer School - The summer session will run five days a week for eight weeks (with the exception of July 4th, Independence Day). 82nd Street Academics offers a full-day package deal and also half day sessions. Feel free to contact 82nd Street Academics with any questions.
- Academic achievement classes - The morning session of the summer program at 82nd Street Academics helps children get a head start on the grade that they will attend in the fall using the Common Core Learning Standards Morning Academic Classes start at 9:00 AM and end at approximately 12:00 PM. Children work with trained group leaders to practice math and language arts. We give homework every day so students can practice their newly-learned skills. Students who are part of the Summer School are better-equipped to meet the academic challenges of the upcoming school year, and are more confident in their own abilities. Monthly progress reports keep you up to date with your child's development. Group leaders are available throughout the summer to discuss your child's learning. The program ends with a special ceremony starring your children!
- "Learning in action" lab - The afternoon session, our "Learning in Action" Lab, offers a supplement to the morning session. Children use and reinforce the Common Core Learning Standards as they participate in hands-on activities centered on our summer theme. Classes start at 1:00 PM (after lunchtime) and end at 4:00 PM. Reading, writing, logic and critical thinking skills are incorporated throughout classes in Creative Writing and Drama, "Math 4 Life" lab, Health and Physical Education, Media Studies, and Music. Group Leaders keep topics interesting and fresh so that students stay highly motivated. Students will go on educational field trips as well as enjoy special visitors throughout the summer.
- Enrollment in the "Learning in Action" Lab is the perfect accompaniment to the academic program, and families are encouraged to take advantage of a package deal and register for both courses. Full-day and early drop-off options are also available for the summer! Contact 82nd Street Academics for more details.
- Test Prep - 82nd Street Academics now offers a prep course for the SAT. Classes are held at the Renaissance Charter School in Jackson Heights
Profile last updated: 05/31/2012
Related School Videos:
What Makes 82nd Street Academics Special
2 months ago
82nd Street Academics Walk-a-Thon (UPK) 2010
2 months ago
Info on Staff Retreat 2012
2 months ago
Staff Retreat, Edith Macy 2010
2 months ago
Facebook School Page:
Related School News:
- Renaissance School Awarded College Program Grant - Western Queens Gazette
posted on January 23, 2013 at 04:29:58 pm
Renaissance School Awarded College Program GrantWestern Queens GazetteRenaissance will be working with their partner, 82nd Street Academics (82SA), to provide a ...
Gr. PK-10 | 0 mi. away
Gr. PK-12 | 0.1 mi. away
Gr. K-9 | 0.3 mi. away
Gr. PK-8 | 0.3 mi. away
Gr. Nursery/Preschool-12 | 0.3 mi. away
Gr. K-9 | 0.7 mi. away