Grades: 1-12 | 229 students
In 2013, out of all 51 Catholic high schools in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, St. Monica Academy had the highest mean SAT scores in all three sections of the test: reading, writing, and math.
The Cardinal Newman Society recently named St. Monica Academy to the Catholic High School Honor Roll as one of the Top 50 Catholic high schools in the nation. Only three California schools received this prestigious award.
One of the highlights of our science curriculum is an annual field trip to Catalina Island, where biology students observe marine life while snorkeling with an expert guide.
A genuine appreciation for great literature and drama (especially Shakespeare) is one of our classical curriculum's objectives.
- St. Monica Academy is an elementary school and college preparatory high school with a classical pedagogy and a classical liberal arts curriculum.
- St. Monica Academy seeks to form students in faith, reason and virtue by imparting authentic Catholic principles and by introducing young minds to classical literature and the other liberal arts.
- Teaching methods are directed toward developing memory, sound reasoning, and communication skills in keeping with the natural stages of childhood intellectual development.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Private Catholic and Independent Schools (NAPCIS)
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 1-12|
|Total Students||229 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||20 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||11:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||20 students|
|Number of AP Courses||3 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Calculus, Latin,|
|Average SAT score||1882|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
(1-8 plaid jumpers (girls), navy pants (boys); 9-12 plaid skirts (girls), khaki pants and jackets (boys))
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 3 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$5,550|
|Tuition Notes||$5,550 for first student in family in grades 1-8 and discounts for additional students; $9,395 for high school students, with discount for additional students|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$2,500|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Mrs. Erin Talbot|
|Admissions Associate||Mrs. Rebecca Quackenbush|
|Total Sports Offered||8 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Flag Football, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,
Cross Country, Flag Football,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||9 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Arizona Trip, Community Service Projects, Crusaders for Life, Schola (Choir), Shakespeare Play, Spring Musical, Student Council, Washington D.C. Trip, Yearbook Staff Arizona Trip, Schola (Choir), Spring Musical, Yearbook Staff, Community Service Projects,
Crusaders for Life,
Washington D.C. Trip,
- St. Monica Academy is a co-ed Catholic school with 255 students enrolled in Grades 1 through 12. The natural beauty of the campus, the intimate size of the classes, and the emphasis on charity contribute to a unique family-like atmosphere. Highlights of the core curriculum are poetry, classic literature, Latin, heroes of history, hands-on math and science, performances of Shakespeare and the polyphonic masters, and devotion to the liturgical calendar.
- The Cardinal Newman Society recently named St. Monica Academy to the Catholic High School Honor Roll as one of the Top 50 Catholic high schools in the nation, because of its academic excellence, Catholic identity, and civic education. St. Monica Academy is one of only three California high schools to receive this award.
- Out of 51 Catholic high schools in the Los Angeles Archdiocese, St. Monica Academy boasted the highest mean SAT scores in all three categories in 2013: Reading, Writing, and Math. The scores were as follows: Reading, 625; Writing 631; Math, 626. In the last 11 years, St. Monica students have achieved nine perfect scores of 800 on individual sections of the SAT. Three of those perfect 800s were earned in 2013.
- Graduates of St. Monica Academy are pursuing medicine, engineering, nursing, graphic design, television and film CGI, and liberal arts at colleges such as UCLA, Notre Dame, Thomas Aquinas College, the US Naval Academy, Christendom College, Catholic University of America, and Cal State San Luis Obispo.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
PasadenaGrades: PK-8 | 268 students
42 Chestnut Street
Pasadena, CA 91103
Sierra MadreGrades: PK-8 | 322 students
322 N Baldwin Ave
Sierra Madre, CA 91024
San GabrielGrades: KG-12 | 486 students
8827 E Broadway
San Gabriel, CA 91776
Sierra MadreGrades: KG-8 | 169 students
192 N Baldwin Ave
Sierra Madre, CA 91024
AlhambraGrades: K-9 | 190 students
840 S Almansor St
Alhambra, CA 91801
March 21, 2017
Future and current employers can find out all sorts of things about you these days. Make sure that you don't leave behind any damning electronic evidence.
March 21, 2017
Asking good questions at your job interview will improve your chances. Conversely asking bad questions will damage them.
March 20, 2017
You have a lot riding on your job interview. Here are some tips for a successful interview.