|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia, Language-based Learning Differences, ADHD, and Executive Function deficits|
|Total Students||50 students|
|Student Body Type||All-boys|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 8%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||25 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||2:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||5 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(Khaki pants or jeans and a collared shirt)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$72,685|
|Tuition Notes||Day Rate: $55,615 International Rate: $76,185|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$10,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Aria Carter|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Lacrosse, Rock Climbing, SoccerBaseball, Basketball,
Lacrosse, Rock Climbing,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||23 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Archery, Blacksmithing, Canoeing, Ceramics, Code, Cross, Disc, Downhill, Filming/Digital, Healthy, Hockey, Internship, Metalwork, Mountain, Music, Outdoor, Pottery, Rock, Skateboarding, Skatepark, Snowboarding, Voice, Woodworking Archery, Blacksmithing, Canoeing, Ceramics, Code, Cross, Disc, Downhill, Healthy, Hockey, Internship, Metalwork, Mountain, Music, Outdoor, Pottery, Rock, Skateboarding, Skatepark, Snowboarding, Voice, Woodworking, Filming/Digital,
- In order to maximize every boy's potential, all students receive a language tutorial that is specific to his unique learning style and needs, all teachers are remedial language specialists, and all classes are integrated so that students learn and apply literacy and organizational skills across the academic program.
- Greenwood boys develop strengths and awaken hidden talents in well-developed art, drama, music, woodworking and athletics programs.
- Diagnostic-prescriptive teaching that is multisensory, structured, and sequential ensures effective, individualized programs for all students.
- Highly structured academic and residential programs enable Greenwood boys to internalize organizational skills and strategies in all areas of their lives.
- For boys who demonstrate a need, Greenwood offers Speech and Language Therapy, Math Tutorials, Social Pragmatics, and Occupational Therapy.
- Interscholastic sports and noncompetitive sports are open to any student who wishes to participate.
- Greenwood's 100-acre, forested campus on a Vermont hillside offers miles of trails for hiking, biking, and cross-country skiing; a 3-acre pond for canoeing, fishing, and ice skating; and a skate/bike park equipped with a halfpipe and dirt jumps.
- The Greenwood applicant should possess "average" cognitive skills as measured on the WISC IV. When looking at borderline test scores it is encouraging to see variability in subtest scores that suggest areas of strength.
- Some Greenwood applicants may exhibit avoidance behaviors due to frustration and low self esteem resulting from their learning challenges. Once in Greenwood's safe and supportive community, however, our students feel they are finally understood, and they experience the academic success they deserve for their efforts. Greenwood does not accept students with primary social, emotional, or behavioral difficulties.
- The Greenwood School is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges and is approved by the state of Vermont and the New England Association of Independent Schools.
Profile last updated: 04/13/2015
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Saxtons RiverGrades: 9-12 | 246 students
P.O. Box 500
Saxtons River, VT 05154
HardwickGrades: 8-12 | 182 students
Po Box 116
Hardwick, MA 01037
12 Norfolk Rd
Litchfield, CT 06759
PutneyGrades: 9-12 | 226 students
418 Houghton Brook Rd
Putney, VT 05346
BenningtonGrades: 5-12 | 71 students
192 Fairview St
Bennington, VT 05201