Grades: 6-12 | 291 students
- Tilden Preparatory School believes that all students have an inherent right to a quality education, delivered with the highest respect for all concerned.
- The school emphasizes individual achievement and promises a learning environment in which students master learning in all subject areas. Two locations: 1231 Solano Avenue, Albany, CA 94707 and 1475 N. Broadway, Ste. 200, Walnut Creek, CA 94596.
|School Type||Alternative School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Call to inquire|
|Total Students||291 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||83 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||1 students|
|Number of AP Courses||29 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Average SAT score||1720|
|Average ACT score||27|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||$75 per hour billed hourly.|
|% on Financial Aid||
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Sallie Bryan|
|Admissions Associate||Gail Alter|
- Personalized Education
- Tilden Preparatory School, originally named School For Independent Learners East Bay, is a private, college preparatory school for grades 6-12 that uses a tutorial style to teach curriculum one-to-one and in small groups. One-to-one teaching provides a tremendous opportunity for students to work at their own pace (either faster or slower than usual), with attention to their style of learning, and to maximize opportunities to pursue their areas of interest in greater depth. Group class opportunities complement the one-to-one classes so that students have the option and benefit of both learning environments. Tilden Prep offers more AP course options than most high schools, so that highly academic students have the opportunity to pursue as many areas of interest as they wish in greater depth, while students who prefer a more leisurely pace can take the time needed to fully understand the course material before moving on.
- Tilden Preparatory School is a full-time school for many students, and also offers individual classes for students enrolled in another school. In addition to teaching courses one-to-one and/or in small groups, we use a mastery learning approach, working with students to achieve 80% (B) or higher level mastery of the course material in order to ensure success in the current course and in similar future courses.
- Students in our full-time school have the opportunity to individualize their entire education. A personalized academic program can be created for the student who seeks greater intellectual challenge, for the athlete or musician who needs flexible scheduling, or for the student with learning differences that aren’t addressed in a large classroom setting. All courses taught at our school have been approved by the University of California (go to Academics or www.ucop.edu/doorways to see a list of UC approved courses) and meet requirements for college eligibility. Our requirements for high-school graduation exceed those designated by the State of California, and our graduates have been admitted to UC/CSU and private colleges (see our College Acceptances list) throughout the United States. We provide full-time students with opportunities for extracurricular activities, physical education, elective classes, and community service. Our part-time program is for students who want to remain in their current school, but are looking for individual or small group instruction in one or more classes. As in our full-time program, all classes count towards high school graduation and college eligibility, and we work closely with local schools to comply with their requirements.
- Tilden Preparatory School is fully accredited by the Schools Commission of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, and our college-preparatory curriculum has been fully accepted by the University of California and the California State University systems.
Profile last updated: 11/19/2015
February 11, 2017
Let's think about the employment process from the point of view of your making me want to hire you. Here are some points to ponder.
February 10, 2017
It is easy to fall into the trap of not keeping your skill-set current. There's no time and no need anyway. We look at why you need to keep things current and offer some suggestions as to how to proceed.
February 10, 2017
The only way private schools can build their financial security is through gifts. Major gifts offer proof of how deeply many donors feel about their private schools. Their munificence is a wonderful example to others.