Grades: 9-12 | 390 students
- Washington Academy is one of the oldest college preparatory schools in New England.
- With more than 100 different classes, students have plenty of options to shape their studies to their interests and needs.
- In addition to excellent programs in traditional studies such as Science, Mathematics, English, and World History and Culture, Washington Academy also offers unique hands-on programs such as Boat Building and Environmental Science.
- Our extensive use of "nature as a classroom" sets us apart among boarding schools in Maine and New England.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
Association of Independent Schools in New England (AISNE)
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild Learning Differences|
|Total Students||390 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 10%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||35 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||11:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Number of AP Courses||9 courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|% on Financial Aid||
|Total Sports Offered||13 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,
Cheering, Cross Country,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||17 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Bowling, Chess, Culinary Arts, Dance, Envirothon, Fiber Arts, Math Team, National Honor Society, Outdoor Adventure, Robotics, STARS, Silver Quill Literary Magazine, Ski CLub, Student Council, Tri-M Honor Society, WA Players Drama Club, Water Polo Bowling, Chess, Culinary Arts, Dance, Envirothon, Fiber Arts, Math Team, Robotics, STARS, Ski CLub, Water Polo, National Honor Society,
Silver Quill Literary Magazine,
Tri-M Honor Society,
WA Players Drama Club,
- 85% of graduates go on to post-secondary programs, college or university.
- Washington Academy sits on 65 acres with 9 major buildings.
- WA is 2 miles from the Atlantic Ocean
- Students provide over 500 hours of community service
- 11 Advanced Placement courses are offered
- 4-week summer program for English immersion, ESL
- 100+ courses including Mandarin Chinese and Coastal Ecology
- 15 staff and faculty members reside on campus
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
MachiasGrades: PK-8 | 90 students
Machias, ME 04654
EllsworthGrades: PK-12 | 96 students
171 Bar Harbor Rd
Ellsworth, ME 04605
EllsworthGrades: 5-12 | 24 students
Po Box 787
Ellsworth, ME 04605
LeeGrades: 9-12 | 269 students
26 Winn Road
Lee, ME 04455
Blue HillGrades: NS-8 | 92 students
P.O. Box 950
Blue Hill, ME 04614
I''m an exchange student and I attempted this school in my junior year and I LOVED IT! It's a big school in a small, safe, cozy neighborhood. The school gives you big variety of subjects and a lot of different athletics. Whenever I had any troubles the headmaster and teachers were always available to help me. Nice and small classes which makes easy to ask teachers questions, and easy for teachers to talk with every student. I''d very recommend this school to anyone!
- Posted by Student/Alumni - alex8
As a parent, I could not be more pleased with the education and the social environment at WA.
- Posted by Parent - finla
March 23, 2017
Teachers need to learn how to be Facebook savvy. Otherwise Facebook will cause them lots of problems.
March 21, 2017
Future and current employers can find out all sorts of things about you these days. Make sure that you don't leave behind any damning electronic evidence.
March 21, 2017
Asking good questions at your job interview will improve your chances. Conversely asking bad questions will damage them.