Let Jewish Community High School of the Bay know that you are interested in learning about their school. Provide your information below to request this school's viewbook and application. Your request will typically be processed within 24 hours. If you have more specific questions for this school, please use our Email Schools form instead.
Notes for Prospective Students
- Who should come to JCHS? Any student who identifies as Jewish and has an interest in learning, asking questions, and thinking creatively and independently, and who wants to enrich his/her high school years with Jewish values.
- Sharing this common focus, our students come from a variety religious traditions, nationalities, economic backgrounds and family configurations.
- No prior knowledge of Hebrew or Judaic studies is necessary. Is JCHS affiliated with one particular branch of Judaism? JCHS is truly a "community" high school, which means that we embrace students and their families from across the Jewish spectrum.
- This allows us to create an environment where our different beliefs and practices are welcome, respected and shared. What are the differences between JCHS and other private, independent schools? JCHS shares many of the same benefits of top independent schools including experienced educators, small classes, and an individualized approach to learning.
- Our primary difference, however, is the Jewish education reflecting all styles of Jewish expression and culture that we provide in addition to a challenging college preparatory curriculum.
- In this structure, students have the opportunity to explore ethical dilemmas and their own values, both as Jews and as global citizens.
- Our students successfully move on to the finest universities equipped with sophisticated analytical skills and an understanding of the importance of making a positive difference in the world. Does JCHS have student clubs and athletic teams? This year JCHS has more than 20 student-run clubs including the Literary Magazine, Jam Band, Yearbook, Bay Area Academic League, BBQ Club, and award-winning Interfaith Teen Council.
- The Knesset (student government) oversees school-wide events, including all-school Shabbat retreats, a ski trip, and prom.
- Click here to learn more about clubs at JCHS. There are a variety of varsity and club athletic teams, including basketball, volleyball, soccer, baseball, tennis, dance, and ultimate frisbee.
- How about the arts? The JCHS arts department offers every student the opportunity to explore multiple modes of expression: visual, dramatic and musical.
- For visual artists, we offer studio art, art history, photography, printmaking, and sculpture.
- Our 200-seat, state-of-the-art Performing Arts Theater houses our three annual plays a musical, a comedy and a drama and is the showcase location for student talents in dance, singing, jazz, classical and modern instrumental music and our annual Arts Evening.
- Does JCHS accommodate students with learning differences? JCHS has a full-time Director of Educational Support who provides resources to students, faculty and families who need learning and learning disability resources.
- How do I schedule a campus visit? To schedule a campus visit, please contact the Admissions Office at 415.345.9777 x124.
- Click here to learn more about your shadow visit or parent/guardian tour.
- We also invite you to RSVP to one of our fall open houses on Sunday, November 4 or Sunday, December 2 from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Does JCHS require an entrance test? JCHS requires students to take the SSAT or ISEE test.
- These standardized tests are just one factor that we consider in our admissions process. SSAT tests are offered in October, November, December, and January.
- You can visit http://www.ssat.org/ or http://www.iseetest.org for information about registration and deadlines.
- The JCHS code for the SSAT is 4230. ISEE test dates and information can be found on their website at http://www.iseetest.org/.
- The JCHS code for the ISEE test is 054293. Please include these codes so that we can view your results.
- Is an interview required? All JCHS applicants will meet with our Director of Admissions, usually during their shadow visit.
- We also welcome and encourage parents to meet with us. You can schedule a visit by calling the Admissions Office at 415.345.9777 x124.
- What is the tuition? Tuition for the 2012-2013 academic year is $34,900.
- Is financial aid available? JCHS is committed to socio-economic diversity among our students.
- To that end, we offer a Flexible Tuition Program. How do students get to school? JCHS charters a private bus to transport students from the East Bay, Peninsula, and Marin based on interest.
- We also assist in the coordination of carpools and alternative forms of transportation.
- We are centrally located near a number of MUNI lines, including routes 33, 38, 31, 22, 2, 3, and 4.