Jewish Community High School of the Bay
- The JCHS journey begins before the first day of class.
- Our students become part of a carefully selected and mutually supportive community that nurtures individual growth.
- We encourage our students to challenge themselves, to think creatively and to discover their values while striving for academic excellence.
- Whether expressing themselves through arts and athletics, academic achievement or community outreach projects, our students participate in a rigorous college preparatory program enriched by thought-provoking Jewish studies.
- JCHS classes are small enough that everyone can be heard, but large enough that a diversity of opinion is possible.
- Our rich curriculum braids together humanities, Jewish studies, and math/science, making it possible to offer classes that incorporate wisdom drawn from the sciences, art and the spirit.
- Students develop skills in textual reading and contextual understanding, as well as writing and public speaking, logic, creative expression, experiential learning and critical thinking all of which will inform their intellectual and academic development.
- To enrich and enance their academic experience, JCHS offers competitive interscholastic athletic programs for all abilities as a way to build discipline and sportsmanship.
- Performances in drama and music and expression through the fine arts nurture and refine our students' creative talents.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||153 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 43%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||35 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||14 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Advanced Chemistry, Advanced Hebrew Grammar, Advanced Spanish Conversation, Algebra I Advanced, Algebra II Advanced, AP Art History, AP Biology, AP Calculus, AB, AP Calculus, BC, AP Chemistry, AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature and Composition, AP Environmental Science, AP Physics, C, AP Spanish Language, AP Studio Art, Geometry Advanced, Vocal Arts Honors,|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 16|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$36,900|
|Tuition Notes||We are committed to making JCHS an affordable choice for your child's high school education. To that end, we offer a Flexible Tuition Program designed to help keep a JCHS education accessible to families from a variety of economic backgrounds or who are|
|Admissions Director||Ida Gruber|
|Total Sports Offered||10 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Golf, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Dance,
Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||18 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Bay Area Academic League, BBQ Club, Digital Media, Environmental Club, Gay/Straight Alliance, Hip Hop Dance, Interfaith Teen Council, Jam Band, Literary Magazine, Mock Trial, Social Club, STAND Anti-Genocide, Student Alliance for Israel, Student Ambassadors, Student Government, Ultimate Frisbee, Village Project Tutoring Club, Yearbook|
Jewish Community High School at a Glance
- We are a "pluralistic" community welcoming students from all types of Jewish, social, economic, educational and geographic backgrounds.
- Class sizes are small, averaging 12 students and a 5:1 student-to-teacher ratio.
- We eat lunch together every day. Our meals follow are prepared daily in our kitchen using fresh, local, organic ingredients.
- 85% of our faculty hold post-graduate academic degrees.
- The 200-seat Performing Arts Theater is state-of-the-art and is an exceptional venue for student productions as well as community gatherings.
- Our rapidly expanding library offers more than 25,000 volumes, including those of the Bureau of Jewish Education (BJE).
- JCHS is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
Profile last updated: 05/04/2016
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- San FranciscoGrades: 9-12 | 410 students
3065 Jackson St
San Francisco, CA 94115
- San FranciscoGrades: 9-12 | 375 students
1563 Page St
San Francisco, CA 94117
- San FranciscoGrades: K-8 | 344 students
2222 Broadway St
San Francisco, CA 94115
- San FranciscoGrades: 9-12 | 346 students
35 Keyes Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94129
- San FranciscoGrades: 9-12 | 280 students
2901 California St
San Francisco, CA 94115