Grades: NS-8 | 168 students
We value each unique voice and cultivate an environment where students encourage and inspire each other.
Our campus in the Montgomery County Agricultural Reserve enables students to learn inside and outside the classroom.
Spanish language and customs are introduced to children beginning in preschool. From first grade to fourth grade, students have twice weekly Spanish instruction. Students in 5th through 8th grade learn Spanish through immersion experiences to strengthen speaking proficiency
Our buddy program pairs younger grades with older grades so students develop meaningful relationships throughout the year with students in other age groups. Older students have genuine opportunities to be role models while younger children know they have special friends looking out for them.
We use a hands-on approach in preschool to encompass the five developmental domains of children: social, physical, intellectual, creative and emotional.
Student Teacher Ratio 7:1 Small classes enable skilled teachers to engage each child in an academically challenging environment. Our typical elementary class size is 10 compared to 28+ in public schools. The typical middle school classes average 15.
Barnesville School of Arts & Sciences is an independent private school that offers families an innovative preschool through 8th grade academic program grounded in a culture of joy, support, and excellence.
Our students benefit from an academic program that produces critical thinkers who thrive in the classroom and beyond; a rich curriculum that balances arts, sciences, technology, and outdoor education; small class sizes that create a safe forum for taking risks; highly skilled and creative teachers who tailor instruction to each student; hands-on learning on our beautiful 50-acre campus that encourages imagination, exploration, and respect for the environment; and a caring community that fosters independent thinking and expression.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Association of Independent Maryland & DC Schools (JAIMS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Total Students||168 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 34%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||22 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(Friday Spirit Days!)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / Mar. 1 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||$8,990 (PS (3s) and PK) $15,200 (K) $18,130 (1-4) $19,440 (5-8)|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Admissions Director||Debbie DOn|
|Admissions Associate||Robin Snider|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Lacrosse, SoccerBasketball, Cross Country,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||8 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Chorus, Drama, Drawing/Painting, Newspaper Club, Painting, Sarge Athletics, Yoga, Young Performers Chorus, Drama, Newspaper Club, Painting, Yoga, Drawing/Painting,
- The Barnesville School of Arts & Sciences offers an innovative preschool through 8th grade education that integrates the humanities, art, math, and science. Our teaching encourages students to explore how subjects relate to one another, helping them to make connections that spark inquiry and deepen understanding.
- Small class settings foster a culture of joy, support, and excellence where skilled teachers engage each child in an academically challenging environment that promotes imagination, exploration, growth, and achievement.
- Barnesville`s 50-acre campus in Montgomery County`s Agricultural Reserve inspires teachers to integrate nature with everyday learning.
- We believe childhood should be a time for students to explore the world around them, try different things, and imagine the possibilities.That is why Barnesville offers opportunities -- not choices. Barnesville students don`t have to choose art or science, theater or sports, technology or nature, achievement or joy. It`s the "&" that makes Barnesville School of Arts & Sciences far from standard. Visit to learn what the "&" could mean to your child. IMAGINE. EXPLORE. GROW. ACHIEVE.
Profile last updated: 02/09/2016
- School Location Miles Grades Students
IjamsvilleGrades: K-12 | 88 students
3232 Green Valley Road
Ijamsville, MD 21754
FrederickGrades: PK-8 | 159 students
1730 N Market St
Frederick, MD 21701
FrederickGrades: K-8 | 121 students
6040 New Design Road
Frederick, MD 21703
RockvilleGrades: PK-8 | 299 students
11701 Danville Drive
Rockville, MD 20852
Silver SpringGrades: NS-12 | 297 students
13500 Layhill Road
Silver Spring, MD 20906