Grades: NS-8 | 168 students
We value each unique voice and cultivate an environment where students encourage and inspire each other.
Our campus in the Montgomery County Agricultural Reserve enables students to learn inside and outside the classroom.
Spanish language and customs are introduced to children beginning in preschool. From first grade to fourth grade, students have twice weekly Spanish instruction. Students in 5th through 8th grade learn Spanish through immersion experiences to strengthen speaking proficiency
Our buddy program pairs younger grades with older grades so students develop meaningful relationships throughout the year with students in other age groups. Older students have genuine opportunities to be role models while younger children know they have special friends looking out for them.
We use a hands-on approach in preschool to encompass the five developmental domains of children: social, physical, intellectual, creative and emotional.
Student Teacher Ratio 7:1 Small classes enable skilled teachers to engage each child in an academically challenging environment. Our typical elementary class size is 10 compared to 28+ in public schools. The typical middle school classes average 15.
- Barnesville School of Arts & Sciences is an independent private school that offers families an innovative preschool through 8th grade academic program grounded in a culture of joy, support, and excellence.
- Our students benefit from an academic program that produces critical thinkers who thrive in the classroom and beyond; a rich curriculum that balances arts, sciences, technology, and outdoor education; small class sizes that create a safe forum for taking risks; highly skilled and creative teachers who tailor instruction to each student; hands-on learning on our beautiful 50-acre campus that encourages imagination, exploration, and respect for the environment; and a caring community that fosters independent thinking and expression.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Association of Independent Maryland And DC Schools (JAIMS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Total Students||168 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 34%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||22 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(Friday Spirit Days!)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / Mar. 1 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||$8,990 (PS (3s) and PK) $15,200 (K) $18,130 (1-4) $19,440 (5-8)|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Admissions Director||Debbie DOn|
|Admissions Associate||Robin Snider|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Lacrosse, SoccerBasketball, Cross Country,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||8 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Chorus, Drama, Drawing/Painting, Newspaper Club, Painting, Sarge Athletics, Yoga, Young Performers Chorus, Drama, Newspaper Club, Painting, Yoga, Drawing/Painting,
- The Barnesville School of Arts & Sciences offers an innovative preschool through 8th grade education that integrates the humanities, art, math, and science. Our teaching encourages students to explore how subjects relate to one another, helping them to make connections that spark inquiry and deepen understanding.
- Small class settings foster a culture of joy, support, and excellence where skilled teachers engage each child in an academically challenging environment that promotes imagination, exploration, growth, and achievement.
- Barnesville`s 50-acre campus in Montgomery County`s Agricultural Reserve inspires teachers to integrate nature with everyday learning.
- We believe childhood should be a time for students to explore the world around them, try different things, and imagine the possibilities.That is why Barnesville offers opportunities -- not choices. Barnesville students don`t have to choose art or science, theater or sports, technology or nature, achievement or joy. It`s the "&" that makes Barnesville School of Arts & Sciences far from standard. Visit to learn what the "&" could mean to your child. IMAGINE. EXPLORE. GROW. ACHIEVE.
Profile last updated: 02/09/2016
- School Location Miles Grades Students
IjamsvilleGrades: K-12 | 88 students
3232 Green Valley Road
Ijamsville, MD 21754
FrederickGrades: PK-8 | 159 students
1730 N Market St
Frederick, MD 21701
GermantownGrades: NS-8 | 149 students
15951 Germantown Rd
Germantown, MD 20874
FrederickGrades: K-8 | 121 students
6040 New Design Road
Frederick, MD 21703
GermantownGrades: PK-8 | 519 students
14131 Seneca Road
Germantown, MD 20874
I cannot say enough wonderful things about this school and the amazing education students are getting there. The school is all about acceptance and kindness. All of the teachers are not only very qualified-- they have the most heartwarming love for each of their students. None of this is at the expense of appropriate challenge and rigor. My daughter has learned so much more at Barnesville than I know she would have learned anywhere else.
- Posted by Parent - MPhil
My daughter has thrived at Barnesville in ways I don't think she would have in larger classroom settings. Wonderful teachers have helped her recognize and develop her individual talents while also encouraging her to step outside of her comfort zone into leadership roles. She is developing critical thinking and social skills that will serve her well for years to come -- in and outside of school.
- Posted by Parent - jankh
We were drawn to the Barnesville School really through the intial 'gut feeling' as soon as you walk onto campus.... the School's Joy, Support and Excellence for each child is different and our son has experienced exactly that for the last 4 years. Our experience is that our son thrives from the programmatic investments made by combining areas that are his passion as well as something new....arts & humanities, math & science, nature & technology. The teachers encourage the kids daily to take risks...get out of their comfort zone, try something new in a protected environment, challenge yourself.
- Posted by Parent - ec120
We found our dream school, and Barnesville is it. The academic standards are high (we especially love the way reading comprehension and math are taught); the teachers are outstanding and go out of their way to understand how each child learns best; the classes are small; the administration is flexible and responsive. The setting is extremely nice --beautiful outdoor space behind the school and the kids often get to have PE outside or even go sledding during winter recess. The kids there are extremely happy and nice to one another; the teachers know what is going on between the kids and make sure everyone is treated well. Wonderful opportunities in the arts as well, including semi-annual shows involving the whole school. Many parents volunteer and the whole place has a family feel to it, as though your child is looked after by many people you know and trust, both teachers and parents. We''re new there this year and we have the enthusiasm of those parents who, coming from another school, really appreciate everything that Barnesville offers.
- Posted by Parent - rstlo
We have two children at Barnesville. We never thought we''d choose an independent school over Montgomery County public schools but it has been one of the best decisions we''ve ever made. Our children love school - they really do love learning! They are taught by highly qualified teachers who are passionate about what they do and it shows. We love the cross-curricular work like art classes that focus on the students social studies unit and the spanish language classes that begin in lower school. Great place!
- Posted by Parent - waksb
The faculty and staff know each student and support and encourage the strengths that students bring to the school. The Barnesville School provides a strong sense of community and acceptance to its students while challenging them to excel and be their best.
- Posted by Parent - maure
Barnesville has high academic standards without the high pressure. My older children have gone on to selective high schools and public magnet programs very well prepared. They know themselves, know how to learn, and are confident in their own abilities. I can lay this all at the feet of the fabulous teachers they have had at Barnesville. My youngest is thriving there currently. He has small classes, with teachers who take the time to know each child in their class. Also, as a parent, I love the fact that the school has several acres that allow both room to play, and to learn about nature.
- Posted by Parent - janin
February 11, 2017
Let's think about the employment process from the point of view of your making me want to hire you. Here are some points to ponder.
February 10, 2017
It is easy to fall into the trap of not keeping your skill-set current. There's no time and no need anyway. We look at why you need to keep things current and offer some suggestions as to how to proceed.
February 10, 2017
The only way private schools can build their financial security is through gifts. Major gifts offer proof of how deeply many donors feel about their private schools. Their munificence is a wonderful example to others.