Grades: 6-8 | 108 students
Lake Washington Girls Middle School is a place where girls explore, experiment, discover, create, and learn about themselves and the world around them.
Since 1998, LWGMS has fostered creative confidence in girls and helped every LWGMS student find the tools that will serve her well: hand tools, power tools, digital tools, and the tools of their own strong voices.
At LWGMS, students learn that they have the power to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to challenge the status quo, and to overcome obstacles.
An L-Dub girl knows that struggle and failure are normal and that effort is a crucial part of eventual success.
With a well-rounded academic program--grounded in social justice with a full complement of opportunities in STEAM, sports, leadership, and performance--girls are empowered to think critically, develop leadership, enjoy learning, and work for equity through an innovative curriculum proven to prepare girls for success in high school college preparatory programs and adventures beyond the classroom.
Lake Washington Girls Middle School empowers girls to be strong in mind, body, and voice.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Coalition of Girls
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Northwest Association of Accredited Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-8|
|Total Students||108 students|
|Student Body Type||All-girls|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 27%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||20 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||18 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 12 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$19,222|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition includes all fees, including labs, books, computers, etc. and field trips, including week-long fall field experiences.|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$7,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Molly Klema|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Soccer, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, VolleyballBasketball, Soccer,
Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||14 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Animal Club, Bike Club, Bouldering, Coding Club, Crafting Club, Drama Club, Girl Empowerment, Glee Club, Green Team, Roots and Shoots for Change, Student Government, Test Prep, Yearbook Team, Yoga Animal Club, Bike Club, Bouldering, Coding Club, Crafting Club, Drama Club, Glee Club, Green Team, Test Prep, Yearbook Team, Yoga, Girl Empowerment,
Roots and Shoots for Change,
- Lake Washington Girls Middle School is a place where girls explore, experiment, discover, create, and learn about themselves and the world around them. Since 1998, LWGMS has fostered creative confidence in girls and helped every LWGMS student find the tools that will serve her well: hand tools, power tools, digital tools, and the tools of their own strong voices. At LWGMS, students learn that they have the power to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to challenge the status quo, and to overcome obstacles. An L-Dub girl knows that struggle and failure are normal and that effort is a crucial part of eventual success. With a well-rounded academic program grounded in social justice with a full complement of opportunities in STEAM, sports, leadership, and performance girls are empowered to think critically, develop leadership, enjoy learning, and work for equity through an innovative curriculum proven to prepare girls for success in high school college preparatory programs and adventures beyond the classroom.
- Lake Washington Girls Middle School empowers girls to be strong in mind, body, and voice.
- Please join us for one of our Open Houses this fall.
- Attending an Open House is an excellent way to get to know L-Dub, its program, and its people. Meet with students, teachers, and administrators, and learn how our academic and co-curricular programs may be a good match for your family. No RSVP is required, but the program does run for approximately two hours, so please arrive no later than 6:30p. (Please do not arrive before 6p.)
- Thursday, November 3, 6:30p
- Wednesday, November 16, 6:30p
- 810 18th Ave Seattle, WA 98122
- The LWGMS curriculum is designed to cultivate intellectual curiosity and a drive to social action in each LWGMS girl. In a safe and supportive environment that challenges each girl to reach her potential, experienced teachers guide our students to develop the creative confidence to meet the many social, emotional, physical, and academic changes of early adolescence. The program is hands-on and experiential, with collaborative learning, projects, oral presentations, and class discussions used to ensure that every girl strengthens her voice as she learns. At the heart of the curriculum is a commitment to social justice.
- Over their three years at LWGMS, our students will cycle through a core curriculum integrating the arts with science, technology, engineering, and math. Embedded in all disciplines will be an emphasis on Design Education as a way of fostering fluency in creative thinking skills to solve 21st century problems. Problem-solving, risk-taking, and mistake-making are necessary skills to practice, especially at the middle school level and especially for girls.Students experienced and familiar with Design Thinking (empathize, identify, ideate, prototype, and test) demonstrate resiliency and approach problems collaboratively and creatively; the heart of STEAM education.
- Some of the benefits of learning through Design Thinking:
- Ability and confidence to delve into unknown areas, interview effectively, uncover underlying needs, and test hypotheses Critical thinking, synthesis of information Empathy, deep curiosity, persistenceAbility to question assumptions and think "outside the box" Understanding that collaboration can accomplish a great deal, openness to others` ideas Ability to remain on task, discuss differing opinions with respect, share the workload Brainstorming skills in writing, drawing, three-dimensional building Ability to shift one`s thinking to a more playful, non-judging, idea-rich mode when needed Openness, flexibility, ability to hold one`s ideas loosely, "what-if" thinking Action orientation, an open attitude, experience with a wide variety of tools and materials, a can-do attitude facilitating invention of ways to create prototypes, a pioneering attitude A new approach to failure by viewing it as an invaluable information source rather than a personal affront Active seeking and thorough evaluation of user feedback, reinvention or modification of thinking and/or design based on evaluation Basic project-management skills: how to prioritize, sequence, and plan, how to assess progress and adjustAbility to take risks and create Empowerment, motivation, and problem-solving skills
- Our STEAM STUDIO includes: Designated STEAM teachers, an eight station iMac Design Lab, filming equipment for digital storytelling (digital video cameras, sound equipment, mics, green screen, editing software), 3D printer (produces 3D models - great for industrial design problems/engineering), power tools and shop tools (for design + build courses), related software (photoshop, illustrator etc.)
- Courses we offer: Filmmaking, Digital StorytellingDesign + Build (architecture, greenhouse prototyping, model house design, etc.), Website/Mobile App Development, Graphic Design, Motion Graphics, and Electronic Arts.
- OUR VISION
- LWGMS holds up the opportunity of a world in which girls are nurtured and empowered to reach their academic, social, and emotional potential. To that end, the school provides a supportive single-gender learning environment where students, teachers, staff, families, and our surrounding community are active partners in inspiring leadership, social responsibility, and self-confidence in girls.
- GUIDING PRINCIPLES
- The following principles reflect our identity, underlie our success, and guide our evolution as a vibrant and maturing institution...
- A sense of community in which every individual is known, every girl's voice is valued, and students actively participate in a small, close-knit community.
- Tuition rates within reach of middle class families and financial aid offerings that eliminate financial barriers to admission.
- Individual Accomplishment
- Guided by intellectual curiosity, every girl can succeed and have the opportunity to fulfill her academic, social, and emotional potential.
- Family Engagement
- Families are a critical part of a student`s educational success and essential partners in the school`s mission and community.
- Community Responsibility
- A passion for social justice, political participation, and service to our community.
- Single-gender Education
- A recognition, grounded in research, that girls are more likely to reach their academic potential in an all-girl environment that fosters self-confidence, promotes speaking up, and encourages social cohesiveness.
- AT LWGMS, WE BELIEVE
- All students can learn. All students benefit from high expectations. Material should be relevant to students` lives. Students should have a say in what and how they learn. Students should understand their own learning styles. Families and the community are valuable assets to the curriculum. We all can learn from each other. Social and emotional learning should be part of a middle school education. Effective collaboration and communication are necessary skills. A diverse school community is essential to learning. A girls-only learning environment during the middle school years allows girls to develop their intellects and individuality.
- Diversity Statement
- At LWGMS, we honor and support the unique contributions to our society made by people of all ethnic, economic, religious, racial backgrounds, physical ability, learning styles and sexual orientation. We strive to promote inclusiveness in all school areas, including school programs, community activities and recruitment of students, faculty, staff and trustees. We are actively committed to increasing diversity in our school community to reflect the region in which we live.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
2706 S Jackson St
Seattle, WA 98144
SeattleGrades: 6-12 | 493 students
1415 Summit Ave
Seattle, WA 98122
SeattleGrades: K-8 | 356 students
2619 4th Ave N
Seattle, WA 98109
BellevueGrades: 5-12 | 395 students
4800 139th Avenue Se
Bellevue, WA 98006
SeattleGrades: 1-9 | 100 students
901 Lenora Street
Seattle, WA 98121
|5.0 Stars 05/04/16|
At LWGMS our daughter has grown in every way, including compassion and respect. She has strong connections with her teachers, and they know her deeply. She is truly stronger in mind, body and voice! We love the welcoming, diverse, inclusive community and the strong curriculum. Social justice and feminism are woven into everything.
- Posted by Parent - mbrad
October 20, 2016
Among the many forms which you must complete when applying to private school is something called The Candidate Statement. Here's what it is involved in preparing this document.
October 19, 2016
Making your job application easy to read will help your application make the first cut.
October 18, 2016
Submit your employment application the way a Swiss watch craftsman builds a watch. With precision and accuracy.