Grades: PK-K | 50 students
- The MFS Early Childhood Education Program nurtures young children's quest for independence.
- They learn to control themselves physically and refine their gross and fine motor abilities.
- Cognitively, they have the opportunity to explore a broad range of Montessori materials, including those that provide them with a solid foundation for beginning reading, and learning basic math concepts.
- They also learn to become part of a community, make enduring friendships, and learn to socialize harmoniously. In the Classroom MFS classrooms are all multi-age, with Early Childhood classrooms serving children who are 3, 4, and 5 years old.
- The third year—for the 5 year-old turning 6—is the "kindergarten" year.
- The multi-age classroom provides an environment in which children can move at their own pace, and be both learners and teachers at the same time. Curriculum Studies by Maria Montessori and contemporary researchers support the notion that a child's first three years of life, and next three years of education outside the home, are the most important in shaping his or her personality and ability to learn.
- Children learn more during this period of time than at any other, and set important patterns for the future.
- Skills learned become the foundation that helps them grow in independence. Each of our preschool classrooms are divided into five distinct areas, each of which is devoted to learning about a particular subject.
- There are separate places for children to engage in practical life studies, cultural studies, sensorial studies, and learn about language and math.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-Kindergarten|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||50 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 44%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||9 teachers|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|% on Financial Aid||
- Our Mission
- Preparation for Life,
- Education for Peace,
- A Community for Children.
- Preparation for Life: "A child is a discoverer. He is an amorphous splendid being in search of his own proper form." -- Dr. Maria Montessori.
- MFS prepares children to thrive. Purposeful activity, multi-age classrooms, adult and peer role models, and an exceptional Montessori curriculum prepare the students to participate meaningfully and skilfully in an ever-changing world. Students leave MFS primed for the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead in high school, college, and in life. Education for Peace: “The experience of our classroom is what lets us know that peace is possible, as Gandhi and Montessori envisioned it, if we ‘begin with the children.’ ” -- Jane Wechsler.
- The classroom is a place of peace at MFS. Children express their innate sense of justice, equality, and goodness within the classroom community. Regular experiences of peaceful conflict resolution, freedom within limits, and social responsibility cultivate a value system our graduates carry out into the greater world to contribute to a more peaceful society. A Community for Children: "Children are human beings to whom respect is due, superior to us by reason of their innocence and of the greater possibilities of their future." –- Dr. Maria Montessori.
- The Montessori classroom is a loving community within which all members actively support one another while successfully pursuing their own development and interests. This sense of interconnectedness and responsibility iscarried by alumni and families into the community at large. MFS is a community of students, teachers, administrators, board members, and parents who are focused on doing that which serves children best.
Nearby Private Schools
The nearest high school is Arrowsmith Academy (0.5 miles away)
The nearest elementary school is German International School of Silicon Valley- Berkeley Campus (0.4 miles away)
The nearest preschool is German International School of Silicon Valley- Berkeley Campus (0.4 miles away)
- School Location Miles Grades Students
1581 Le Roy Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94708
BerkeleyGrades: 9-12 | 121 students
2300 Bancroft Way
Berkeley, CA 94704
BerkeleyGrades: K-8 | 319 students
1225 Milvia Street
Berkeley, CA 94709
BerkeleyGrades: KG-5 | 104 students
1809 Bancroft Way
Berkeley, CA 94703
BerkeleyGrades: PK-8 | 105 students
1333 University Ave and 2125 Jefferson Ave
Berkeley, CA 94702
February 23, 2017
You probably have several reasons why you think a specific school might be a good fit for your needs and requirements. Have you considered all fifteen of these reasons?
February 11, 2017
Let's think about the employment process from the point of view of your making me want to hire you. Here are some points to ponder.
February 10, 2017
It is easy to fall into the trap of not keeping your skill-set current. There's no time and no need anyway. We look at why you need to keep things current and offer some suggestions as to how to proceed.