Adda Clevenger Jr Preparatory & Theater School
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten - 8|
|Total Students||149 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
|Academics and Faculty|
|Total Classroom Teachers||21 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1 (National school avg.: 13:1)|
|Average Class Size||20 students|
|Classroom dress code||Formal
|Finances and Admission|
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$20,963|
|Tuition Notes||10% sibling discount; average tuition increases 4-6% annually|
- Adda Clevenger was established to serve children who are able to accomplish more than they are allowed to do in a regular classroom, where the teacher must pay close attention to students who require more repetition. Quick learners often do not get their time’s worth out of the school day. We believe quick learners have the potential to perform at ‘gifted and talented’ levels if given the opportunity. The academic performance of both average and above average learners is enhanced by a faster pace and higher expectations. The academic curriculum covers subjects appropriate to students' formal education and exceeds California state requirements. After a short evaluative session, kindergarten students begin first-grade level work at an age-appropriate pace.
- A systematic phonics-based program is used to teach reading and spelling. Beginning in second grade, Junior Great Books enter the reading curriculum. The English language curriculum includes grammar and creative writing at all levels, composition, speech and classical, modern, and dramatic literature. Junior High students compete in at least two speech tournaments annually.
- The K-4 math program emphasizes acquisition of basic computational skills, moving to more complex concepts including pre-algebra and geometry in the upper grades. Eighth grade students complete Algebra 1 and some start second year high school math. Science classes commence in kindergarten. A five-year course in California, US and World history is begun in fourth grade; Junior High students study ancient through modern history along with 19th and 20th century American history, current events and geography.
- In addition to fostering intellectual curiosity and developing a healthy appetite for academic success, our accelerated program also makes it possible for many of our graduates to place into honors sections of one or more high school freshman classes, putting them on track for advanced placement courses later in high school. Thus Adda Clevenger students continue to "get more out of their time spent in school" long after they graduate.
Profile last updated: 06/15/2012
Gr. K-8 | 0 mi. away
Gr. 9-12 | 0.1 mi. away
Gr. K-8 | 0.2 mi. away
Gr. PK-5 | 0.3 mi. away
Gr. PK-8 | 0.3 mi. away
Gr. 5-12 | 0.4 mi. away
- May 21,2012 - Adda Clevenger is a gem of a school. A bit different than most private schools, Adda offers a unique self-esteem building combination of performing arts (ballet, tap, choir, acting, gymnastics) with an excellent math, science, history and language and visual arts curriculum. The small class sizes, combined with an extended day and academic calendar, allow for this school to stay ahead of the curve and offer an excellent, well-rounded education. Students graduate happy and are accepted into the top high schools in San Francisco.*-Posted by Parent *
- May 21,2012 - Our kindergarten daughter is thriving here and can''t wait to go to school each day. The school places a heavy emphasis on music, dance, gymnastics and performing, which makes it a great fit for high energy and creative kids. I''m continually amazed at the level of musical education she is receiving at 5. The classes are small, which means all of the teachers get to know my daughter well and the breadth of the curriculum for a kindergartener is very impressive. The school feels like a large family and I can''t imagine a better place for teaching poise, confidence and creativity.*-Posted by Parent *