- Shady Hill is a coeducational Pre-K through 8th Grade day school on 11 acres in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Our unique village-style campus is a collection of child-scaled buildings set around courtyards and greens with a web of connecting pathways, play spaces, athletic fields, and wildlife areas.
- Originating in 1915 on the back porch of Harvard Professor Ernest Hocking and his wife, Agnes Hocking, the goal was for children to experience an education enriched by the same kind of open-mindedness, inquiry, intellectual rigor, and passion for learning that they valued in their own experiences.
- Today, the school continues to strike a balance between innovation and tradition, providing a fundamentally different approach to teaching and learning.
- The curriculum is built around Central Subject—a year-long, in-depth study of a people, period of history, an idea or movement—and stresses the interrelationships of many disciplines and the use of original sources.
- Each grade's Central Subject has been purposefully designed around the developmental stage of that particular age to captivate and challenge students.
- Through exploration and discovery, rigorous and engaging activities, the mastery of skills, purposeful dialogue and meticulous guidance, our students develop into independent, critical thinkers and life-long learners.
- Our beliefs in a diverse and inclusive community, cooperation and collaboration, self reflection, and individual responsibility help students grow into confident, ethical citizens of the school and the world beyond.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Association of Independent Schools in New England (AISNE)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||511 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 24%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||95 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 15 / Jan. 4|
|Tuition Notes||2015-2016 tuition ranges from $25,350 for Beginners to $35,510 for Grade 8.|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Admissions Director||Cassie Firenze|
|Admissions Associate||Dana Zadorozny|
|Total Sports Offered||10 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,
Field Hockey, Ice Hockey,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||4 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||chorus, jazz band, orchestra, wide range of afterschool clubs chorus, jazz band, orchestra, wide range of afterschool clubs,
- In 2009, Shady Hill opened a new state-of-the-art Arts Complex and Gymnasium and added Mandarin to our World Languages Department.
Profile last updated: 07/22/2015
- School Location Miles Grades Students
CambridgeGrades: PK-12 | 1018 students
80 Gerrys Landing Rd
Cambridge, MA 02138
CambridgeGrades: PK-12 | 639 students
45 Matignon Road
Cambridge, MA 02140
Chestnut HillGrades: PK-12 | 373 students
69 Middlesex Road
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
CambridgeGrades: PK-8 | 200 students
765 Concord Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02138
BostonGrades: 5-12 | 436 students
103 Pilgrim Road
Boston, MA 02215