- The Red Oaks School provides life-changing educational experiences for young people, inspiring personal and intellectual growth, encouraging deep engagement with learning, and promoting global citizenship.
- We educate and inspire students from preschool through middle school on two campuses in Morristown, NJ. Red Oaks students learn to think for themselves, gain academic self-confidence,and form their own values, while respecting those of others.
- We prepare students for their futures.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
New Jersey Association of Independent Schools
International Baccalaureate (IB) World School
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||200 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||30 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||25 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||$8,275-$23,975 range from preK through 8th grade|
|Admissions Director||Fran Sonneborn|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Fencing, Golf, SoccerBasketball, Fencing,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||8 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Brightest Star Musical Theatre Program, Chorus, Jump Rope Team, MakerSpace, Media (Photography), Middle School Book Club, Robotics Club, Running Club Chorus, Jump Rope Team, MakerSpace, Robotics Club, Running Club, Brightest Star Musical Theatre Program,
Middle School Book Club,
- The Cutler Street campus houses our Pre-K through fourth grade programs and is a traditional Montessori program, while the Speedwell campus houses our International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program. Our integrated curriculum is designed to reflect best practices in education, including experiential learning, emphasis on higher-order thinking and problem-solving, deep study of topics, attending to the need of the whole child, and collaborative learning.
- Rooted in Montessori principles and enhanced by current validated research, the educational approach features mixed age classes, low student-teacher ratios (9:1), and a child-centered curriculum that allows students to learn deeply and at their own pace. Core values of respect, dignity, and social awareness are actively fostered. Makerspace, artist- and scientist-in-residence programs, environmental projects, music, drama, and technology enhance the programs at all grade levels.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
MorristownGrades: K-8 | 354 students
247 South Street
Morristown, NJ 07960
GladstoneGrades: NS-8 | 137 students
1150 Pottersville Road
Gladstone, NJ 07934
Basking RidgeGrades: K-6 | 201 students
361 Somerville Rd
Basking Ridge, NJ 07920
Basking RidgeGrades: K-12 | 1114 students
131 Martinsville Road
Basking Ridge, NJ 07920
Far HillsGrades: PK-8
Far Hills, NJ 07931
As the Director of Admissions, a parent of Red Oaks Alumni and the mother of three grown children, I can honestly say that investing early-on in their education at Red Oaks (as in, the Early Childhood classroom, Lower Elementary and Upper Elementary) was the smartest decision I made for my kids. They were well-grounded in math skills, reading and writing skills, and their own personal development. Their self-confidence, self-motivation, and ability to problem-solve has served them well through high school, college, grad school and law school. Quite simply put, invest on the front-end and your children will do well anywhere they go in life!
- Posted by Administrator - fsonn
I love the Red Oaks School. My children have grown so much there. The academics are excellent. The teachers are extremely involved and caring. The curriculum is very engaging. My children are always talking about what they're doing in school. They look forward to going every day. Plus there is a strong emphasis on social skills: treating others with empathy and negotiating problems with other kids in a constructive way. The head of the school is very knowledgeable about educational research and trends and implements them in a way that makes sense. The administration is very thoughtful about what they do. The student body is very diverse. I couldn't be happier with the school!
- Posted by Parent - sosno
Our children have been attending the Red Oaks School for 6 years, starting from pre-school. We have had some of the most outstanding teachers. They are not only very well versed in subjects and methodology, but are extremely dedicated and attentive to the individual needs of the children. Whenever there are any issues at all, the teachers let us know immediately so that we can attend to them before any problems develop. The curriculum is truly engaging so that my son enjoys learning. He learned to read at age three (without any pressure) and is doing advanced math for his age through the school's Singapore Math curriculum. The math is excellent, well structured so that the children really try to master their lessons. Reading and creative writing are emphasized. In 3rd grade, my son has learned chemistry and electronics. He has taken apart and put together machines and has learned about atoms, etc. The art and music teachers have also been excellent. In art, the children have learned about great artists and their social and historical influences. In music, the children actively learn to play different instruments and to perform together. Red Oaks is run by the former head of the American Montessori Society, who is genuinely concerned about education and extremely knowledgeable about the latest research in education and child development. While academics are highly focused, the school is devoted to developing the "overall" child - as healthy, creative, inquisitive, and productive individuals. The teachers are the single most important part of a child's education. The School's Head has over the years worked to recruit great teachers. The school also listens to the parents. Unlike other schools - both private and public - communication with the parents is important and welcomed. We know, because we have had our children enrolled in other schools. We had lived in NYC before. When we moved to NJ we were concerned that we would see a drop in the quality of education. When we found the Red Oaks School, we were thrilled to find a school with such an excellent and devoted staff. In fact, we are more pleased with quality of Red Oaks, which is far less bureaucratic and uncaring than the private school our children attended in the NYC.
- Posted by Parent - jeani