Grades: PK-6 | 64 students
Naturalist and artist Gordon Morrison visits the Village School, teaching children how to do nature illustration.
Village School kindergarten children examine feathers under microscopes, as part of their 8 week bird study.
- The Village School is an independent school serving children in preschool, kindergarten, and grades 1-6, in north central Massachusetts, offering a unique curriculum based on challenging hands-on academics, direct contact with the natural world, and kindness.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-6|
|Total Students||64 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||7 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(dress for paint and dirt!)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$8,950|
|Tuition Notes||8950 for full time K-6th students, 4500 for half day preschool students 3916 for 1/2 time preschool students|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$2,500|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Rise Richardson|
- Our aim is to nurture children's sense of wonder and to guide their pursuit of knowledge so that each child can integrate their own experience and transform it into understanding.
- The Village School's curriculum is project based. Outdoor exploration, nature observation, science experiments, nature projects, and gardening are integral aspects of the program. Science is focused on observation in nature and study of the universe.
- Academics are woven into the fabric of the child's life experience. Reading, writing and math tools are forged and honed daily in order to assist children in their understanding of themselves and the world around them. Our Investigations math curriculum helps develop critical thinking, use group problem solving, and master concepts with the aid of everyday material objects.
- Many forms of creative expression are used throughout the school, including clay work, watercolor painting, dance, music singing and movement, drama, journal work, storytelling and creative writing.
- The school is an inseparable part of a vibrant community that integrates school, work and home life. parents are welcome participants in the daily life of the school, helping to create a village atmosphere where parents, students and teachers work together in a dynamic learning community.
- We are located on the quiet Royalston Common where we have a spacious green playground surrounded by forest.
Profile last updated: 04/13/2016
- School Location Miles Grades Students
69 Hickory Ridge Road South
Putney, VT 05346
BrattleboroGrades: NS-8 | 135 students
99 Stafford Farm Hill
Brattleboro, VT 05301
DublinGrades: 1-8 | 59 students
PO Box 348, Valley Road
Dublin, NH 03444
AmherstGrades: K-7 | 119 students
Po Box 2248
Amherst, MA 01004
FitchburgGrades: PK-8 | 156 students
120 Prospect St
Fitchburg, MA 01420
March 23, 2017
Teachers need to learn how to be Facebook savvy. Otherwise Facebook will cause them lots of problems.
March 21, 2017
Future and current employers can find out all sorts of things about you these days. Make sure that you don't leave behind any damning electronic evidence.
March 21, 2017
Asking good questions at your job interview will improve your chances. Conversely asking bad questions will damage them.