Grades: 9-12 | 1218 students
O’Dowd is a Catholic school that respects and embraces the religious backgrounds and beliefs of all students.
'Remember that time our science class collected the most jeans and shoes for the needy, so we got to spray two teachers with 50 cans of silly string?'
We have the top parliamentary debate team in the nation and recently won the Yale University Invitational.
Your friends are a key to your future success and happiness. At O'Dowd you will build strong friendships that will last a lifetime.
Bishop O'Dowd has the best high school environmental science program in Northern California. Our new Center for Environmental Studies sits above a 4.5 acre urban garden built by students.
Bishop O'Dowd has a phenomenal athletics program. With 57 teams, and 16 different teams, everybody can play.
- Bishop O'Dowd High School is an extraordinary community becasue it is a healthy, vibrant, morally uplifting, family-friendly center for college preparation and adolescent development. Its graduates are not only eligible for the University of California and Ivy League schools, but universally report that they are "over prepared" for rigorous universities and the complex social and moral environments of college and beyond. At O'Dowd, students engage in some of the finest and most inclusive athletic, co-curricular, and visual and performing arts programs in California.
- O'Dowd's environmental science, speech and debate, and student support programs are without peer and the student community, renowned for its warmth and appreciation of all kinds of minds, will bring life-long friendships and great joy.
- We truly believe that a complete education requires a foundational emphasis on the moral and spiritual dimensions of student lives. These foundations in the family and supported in school, determine the quality of human beings we so need for the future.
- Please visit our school to see for yourself how an O'Dowd education can prepare your daughters and sons for the world in which they will live throughout this century, and perhaps even the next.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Learning Differences of all types subject to our ablity to accomodate each student|
|Total Students||1218 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||84 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||15:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||25 students|
|Number of AP Courses||17 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Average SAT score||1709|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(Polo shirt and neatness and modesty requirements. Blue jeans allowed)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 6 / Jan. 3|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$16,790|
|Tuition Notes||Books, Registration Fee, Computer and Uniform are not included in tuition.|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Admissions Director||Kerryn Pincus Gallagher|
|Admissions Associate||Moire Bruin|
|Total Sports Offered||15 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Rugby, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water PoloBaseball, Basketball,
Cheering, Cross Country,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||1 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Debate Team Debate Team,|
- On the high school journey, each student will have the guidance of our exceptional faculty, personal and college counselors, campus ministers, coaches, activity moderators, and administrators, who are at the forefront of preparing each student for a dynamic 21st century world. We focus on each student's personal and moral growth, college and career choices, how students learn, and we provide excellent teaching and world-class technology and software to assist in that learning. Together these resources and services will allow students to pursue what they love and reward them with the exhilaration of true excellence. In this way we achieve our purpose; to graduate even more exemplary citizens who will transform society with their values, intelligence, skills, and leadership as they seek to find God in all things.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
BerkeleyGrades: 9-12 | 619 students
1294 Albina Ave
Berkeley, CA 94706
San FranciscoGrades: 9-12 | 280 students
2901 California St
San Francisco, CA 94115
OaklandGrades: K-12 | 871 students
4315 Lincoln Ave
Oakland, CA 94602
San FranciscoGrades: 9-12 | 375 students
1563 Page St
San Francisco, CA 94117
BerkeleyGrades: 9-12 | 122 students
2727 College Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94705
This school prepared my child to go onto college very well. We are very pleased with Bishop O''Dowd. We will be sending our youngest to BOD also.
- Posted by Parent - bobow
I believe this school should extend applications and offer sport scholarships to new student amatuer or experienced.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - malai
March 23, 2017
Teachers need to learn how to be Facebook savvy. Otherwise Facebook will cause them lots of problems.
March 21, 2017
Future and current employers can find out all sorts of things about you these days. Make sure that you don't leave behind any damning electronic evidence.
March 21, 2017
Asking good questions at your job interview will improve your chances. Conversely asking bad questions will damage them.