Grades: 6-12 | 259 students
Devon Prep is conducted by the Piarist Fathers, an Order of Catholic Priests dedicated to the education of youth.
Devon Prep provides young men with the foundation to succeed in college and beyond.
Its community of teachers, parents and alumni are committed to developing the mental, physical, and spiritual potentials of its students, young men in grades six through twelve.
A challenging college-preparatory curriculum encourages intellectual curiosity and creativity.
A diverse extracurricular program nurtures individual skills and interests.
An atmosphere of discipline and cooperation promotes an environment conducive to learning.
And a Christian culture fosters a love for God, a positive self-image, and a respect for others.
Guided by a Piarist education rooted in the teachings of Jesus Christ, Devon Prep graduates are prepared to be responsible, compassionate leaders able to face the challenges of life with confidence.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
National Catholic Education Association
Association of Delaware Valley Independent Schools (ADVIS)
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Total Students||259 students|
|Student Body Type||All-boys|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||33 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Number of AP Courses||18 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Geography, Physics , Physics C, European History, Biology, Language & Composition, U.S. History, Calculus AB, Literature & Composition, Political Science, Calculus BC, Statistics, Chemistry, French, German, Spanish, Computer Science|
|Average SAT score||1278|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
(dress pants, dress shoes, dress shirt, tie)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$19,800|
|Tuition Notes||$19,800 for Upper School $17,800 Middle School|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Admissions Director||Mr. Patrick Kane|
|Total Sports Offered||10 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Winter TrackBaseball, Basketball,
Cross Country, Golf,
Track and Field, Winter Track,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||22 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Academic Competition Team, Art Club, Chess Club, Christian Action Program, Computer Club, Dances, Digital Electronics Club, Drama Club, Mock Trial Team, Model UN, Music Society, National Honor Society, Pro-Life Club, Science Olympiad, Solar Car Team, Spanish National Honor Society, Student Council, bowling club, community service program, film club, newspaper, yearbook Art Club, Chess Club, Computer Club, Dances, Drama Club, Model UN, Music Society, Pro-Life Club, Solar Car Team, bowling club, film club, newspaper, yearbook, Academic Competition Team,
Christian Action Program,
Digital Electronics Club,
Mock Trial Team,
National Honor Society,
Spanish National Honor Society,
community service program,
- Devon Prep provides young men with a Foundation for Success in college and life. Located on a picturesque, 20 acre campus in Chester County, Devon Prep enrolls nearly 300 students from Chester, Montgomery, Delaware and Bucks counties as well as parts of Philadelphia. Devon Prep's approach to education is based on the Piarist Fathers' 400 year tradition of educating youth. Fundamental to their philosophy is the development of beliefs that foster a love of God, a positive self image and respect for others. Devon Prep draws on more than 50 years of experience to mold each student's future with the latest technology and educational thinking. In a safe and supportive environment our students are motivated to excel academically, to think critically and creatively, to pursue careers in diverse fields and to enjoy extracurricular activities, both in school and in the community.
- Our experienced and dedicated teachers are committed to working with each student so he can realize his highest potential. With an average class size of fifteen, the faculty is able to provide individual attention to all students, a key ingredient to a quality education. Our students begin their college work early by taking many Advanced Placement courses offered in science, social studies, foreign languages, English and mathematics. Through Devon Prep's athletic and extracurricular programs our students develop loyalty, sportsmanship, perseverance and leadership. In addition, our commitment to community service and devotion to Christian values help to develop, not just students, but also well-rounded gentlemen. Devon Prep also offers a full program of extensive three to five day field trips, which take students to various parts of the U.S. including Florida, Massachusetts, Virginia, Connecticut, and New York. Students earn academic credit for the trips and are required to complete a corresponding written assignment.
- It is our goal at Devon Prep to inspire in our students a commitment to values that will enable them to become responsible leaders. Focusing on each student's potential, we believe that the school and the family must work together to foster a love of learning which will propel the student into a lifelong quest for excellence. According to Headmaster Rev. James J. Shea, Sch.P., "The fact that we are small enough to feel like a family yet large enough to offer our students every opportunity to learn and grow is not lost on our parents and students. More and more families are hearing the good news about Devon Prep and are choosing to make one of the most important investments they will ever make – an investment in quality education."
- Devon Prep's Class of 2012 collectively earned over $7.4 million in college scholarships. These 49 young men received more than 200 acceptances to over 100 colleges and universities, including Princeton, Cornell, the University of Pennsylvania, Fordham, Colgate, Tufts, NYU, Notre Dame, Case Western Reserve, Drexel, Penn State, and the United States Military Academy. By the end of Junior year more than 35% (18) of the Class of 2012 had been named AP Scholars, 11 with Distinction. Ten are National Merit Scholars, six are finalists and three are scholarship winners. Nearly 20% of the class are Eagle Scouts and several participate in Division 1 and Division 3 baseball, basketball and cross country. In addition, this class performed over 2000 hours of community service doing everything from collecting and distributing food to needy families to raising nearly $24,000 for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
- Rev. James J. Shea, Sch.P., a Devon Prep alumnus, serves as Headmaster as well as a faculty member in physics. Mr. Larry Iezzi is Assistant Headmaster as well as a Latin and history teacher. Mr. Barry Brazunas is the Director of the Middle School as well as a faculty member.
- The school's campus is comprised of six buildings, two soccer fields and a baseball field. It is situated on part of the estate previously owned by Philadelphia Publisher, Dr. Charles M. Lea. Devon Prep's Middle School is housed in a mansion built by Mr. Lea in 1913. It has been renamed Calasanctius Hall and also provides living quarters for six Pairist Fathers as well as a location for various school ceremonies and functions throughout the year.
- Each year the school awards several scholarships for academic achievement. Admissions into both the high school and middle school includes testing, a review of recent transcripts and recommendations as well as personal interviews.
Nearby Private Schools:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
RadnorGrades: NS-8 | 160 students
440 Upper Gulph Rd
Radnor, PA 19087
WayneGrades: K-12 | 255 students
445 Upper Gulph Road
Wayne, PA 19087
WayneGrades: NS-K | 59 students
95 Crestline Rd
Wayne, PA 19087
StraffordGrades: PK-K | 90 students
135 Fairfield Ln
Strafford, PA 19087
BerwynGrades: KG-8 | 170 students
601 First Ave
Berwyn, PA 19312
Rental Market Monitor
January 25, 2016
This is a very practical list of things you must do before you graduate. The items on this list will enhance your college applications.
January 08, 2016
Here are my picks for 'must have' web sites when it comes to finding out about private K-12 schools.
January 05, 2016
Many parents search for an answer to the question "How do I provide the kind of religious education I want for my child?" Religious education is a very personal, subjective matter. We explore some of your options.