Grades: 6-8 | 44 students
- Topanga Mountain School is a small private middle school for grades 6,7,8 located in Woodland Hills at the foot of the Santa Monica Mountains.
- TMS was founded in 2001 to serve the nearby community of Topanga and has since expanded to include families from neighboring communities.
- At TMS we believe that a school is not only responsible for a child's academic growth but is in a partnership with the child's family in helping both spiritual and emotional development.
- The aim of TMS is to endow the student with a sense of personal responsiblity and motivation.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-8|
|Total Students||44 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||6 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 10|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$16,500|
|Tuition Notes||Financial Aid available Admissions and FA deadline February 10th|
|Admissions Director||Elizabeth Hertz|
- At TMS we believe that a school is not only responsible for a child's academic growth but is in a partnership with the child's family in helping both spiritual and emotional development. Children spend a great deal of time in their school environment and it is here, away from family, that they practice and experience many of the social mores that become the foundation for their developing independent minds and bodies. In the past extended families and communities took responsibility for teaching their young. This world that children moved through gave them a sense of belonging, yet afforded them the freedom to try out their independence. These days children are increasingly isolated and have few (non-media) role models outside of their immediate family. At TMS we believe that it does "take a village" and that in returning to an understanding of our responsibility as a community we can help in the process of raising our children into well-balanced, compassionate and questioning adults. The program at TMS works at preparing the child for it's academic future as well as giving them a safe space in which to find out who they really are. We need to give children room to explore, make mistakes, and feel supported and safe as they build on their experiences. Education is never limited to a classroom or an age group and at TMS we strive for our students to gain that love of learning and adventure that they will hold dear for a lifetime. At TMS we have fun; school is a positive place where a child enjoys learning and the social interactions with peers and elders. At the core is an understanding of respect and personal responsibility. Our school week is varied and allows for many teaching opportunities both in and out of the classroom. Students are on campus for three and a half days of the week and spend the remaining time out in the community gaining first hand experience of the world they live in. The academic program is broad, offering classes in all the core subjects: Language Arts, Humanities, Math, Science and Spanish. These classes are relevant and interactive. Students also attend classes of Creative Writing, Drama, Art, and Music. Time is set aside for developing study and organizational skills as well as school chores. Students learn to take responsibility for themselves as well as taking care of their school environment.
Profile last updated: 09/17/2015
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Los AngelesGrades: K-8 | 342 students
16180 Mulholland Dr
Los Angeles, CA 90049
ChatsworthGrades: PK-12 | 988 students
11052 Independence Ave.
Chatsworth, CA 91311
NorthridgeGrades: PK-12 | 247 students
17100 Superior Street
Northridge, CA 91325
EncinoGrades: PK-8 | 272 students
4548 Haskell Ave.
Encino, CA 91436
Los AngelesGrades: NS-8 | 270 students
16000 Mulholland Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90049
February 23, 2017
You probably have several reasons why you think a specific school might be a good fit for your needs and requirements. Have you considered all fifteen of these reasons?
February 11, 2017
Let's think about the employment process from the point of view of your making me want to hire you. Here are some points to ponder.
February 10, 2017
It is easy to fall into the trap of not keeping your skill-set current. There's no time and no need anyway. We look at why you need to keep things current and offer some suggestions as to how to proceed.