- The Waldorf School of Lexington serves 230 students from preschool through grade 8.
- Part of a worldwide educational movement, WSL is one of the most established Waldorf schools in the country.
- Play is the cornerstone of WSL`s early childhood program.
- The school creates a warm, nurturing environment for its youngest students, where an unhurried childhood can unfold.
- In first grade, students begin a rich program of humanities, mathematics and the sciences-along with two foreign languages, choral and instrumental music, arts, and athletics.
- WSL expands its classrooms into the natural surroundings through a biodynamic gardening program, farm and field trips, nature walks on nearby conservation land, and seasonal festivals.The school`s educational philosophy and culture instill in students respect for themselves, for each other, and for the living world around them.
- WSL prepares students for a lifetime of joyful, self-directed learning.
|School Type||Waldorf School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Waldorf Schools of North America
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
Association of Independent Schools in New England (AISNE)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild Learning Differences|
|Total Students||244 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 24%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||41 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||18 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(No graphics on clothing; standard of age-appropriate modesty)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 31 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Varies by age and program.|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Admissions Director||Kate Woll|
|Total Sports Offered||2 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, SoccerBasketball, Soccer,
- Mission of the Waldorf School of Lexington
- The Waldorf School of Lexington provides an arts-integrated academic education. We offer a curriculum rich in the humanities and sciences as well as practical and fine arts, grounded in the pedagogical principles and methods of Austrian philosopher and educator Rudolf Steiner. Cultivating critical thinking, creativity, and perseverance in our students, we strive to instill an enthusiasm for learning, skills in collaboration, and the confidence to engage in a changing world.
- School Profile
- Adjacent to the 185-acre Great Meadows conservation land, the Waldorf School of Lexington, founded in 1971, serves students from preschool through grade 8. The school offers a challenging academic program, provided by faculty educated in the understanding of students` cognitive, emotional, and physical developmental stages. A member of a global network of Waldorf schools, WSL provides a rich, rounded curriculum with a balance of academics,arts, music, and physical education. Beginning in first grade, the program integrates humanities and sciences with creative arts as well as two foreign languages. From grades 38, all students study a string or woodwind instrument and play together in a school ensemble or orchestra. The dramatic arts animate the curriculum with all elementary students participating in a class play yearly. WSL expands its classrooms into the natural surroundings with an organic gardening program, farm and field trips, nature observation and walks on conservation land, and through its seasonal, community festivals. Athletics and movement are an important part of every student's day through eighth grade. Sustained by a vibrant community of educators and supported by engaged parents, the school`s educational philosophy and culture instills in students respect for themselves, for each other, and for the living world around them. Our graduates enroll in a wide variety of independent and public high schools, colleges, and universities. WSL prepares students for a lifetime of engaged, self-directed learning.
Profile last updated: 05/25/2016
- School Location Miles Grades Students
LexingtonGrades: NS-8 | 215 students
130 Pleasant Street
Lexington, MA 02421
BeverlyGrades: NS-8 | 296 students
243 Essex Street
Beverly, MA 01915
AndoverGrades: PK-8 | 160 students
400 S Main St
Andover, MA 01810
BeverlyGrades: PK-8 | 238 students
111 New Balch Street
Beverly, MA 01915
RowleyGrades: K-12 | 180 students
14 Forest Ridge Drive
Rowley, MA 01969