- Founded in 1957, The Pilot School is an independent therapeutic day school for children ages five through fourteen with normal intellectual potential who experience language based learning differences.
- The program is individualized for each student, whole child centered, and taught in small groups utilizing diagnostic/prescriptive teaching.
- The student to teacher ratio is 5:1. Strengths are challenged and utilized every day.
- Emphasis on the mastery of foundation skills including auditory and visual perceptual, motor, listening, speaking, and social skills, supports growth in reading, mathematics, spelling, thinking, reasoning, and written expression.
- The goal is to return students to regular education as independent, active learners who are able to perform successfully at their chronological grade level.
- Three to five years is the approximate length of time students are enrolled.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Council for Exceptional Children
National Association of Private Special Education Centers
National Association for the Education of Young Children
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||150 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 25%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||30 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Total Sports Offered||1 sports|
|Sports||Intramural Sports OnlyIntramural Sports Only
- On site therapeutic support includes physical, occupational, speech, language, and music therapies, a therapeutic art program, adaptive physical education, a nurse, counselor, and school psychologist. Science, social studies, swimming, physical education, library, and technology round out each child's program.
- A variety of both specialized and regular education programs are available in order to meet each child's individual learning strengths and challenges.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
WilmingtonGrades: PK-12 | 100 students
6201 Kennett Pike
Wilmington, DE 19807
ConshohockenGrades: 1-12 | 311 students
1200 River Road
Conshohocken, PA 19428
MediaGrades: 1-8 | 181 students
2107 North Providence Road
Media, PA 19063
HavertownGrades: 1-8 | 30 students
2000 Old West Chester Pike
Havertown, PA 19083
MediaGrades: NS-12 | 305 students
111 Elwyn Road
Media, PA 19063
July 16, 2017
July 12, 2017
Here are five facts about Montessori schools to bear in mind when exploring preschools and primary schools for your child.
July 12, 2017
What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of a for profit versus a not for profit school? Is one kind of school better than the other?