The Jefferson School
5.00 (5 reviews)
- The Jefferson School is an independent, coeducational day school which offers an innovative academic program designed to foster an enthusiasm for learning and an atmosphere of academic excellence. The school seeks to stimulate intellectual curiosity, academic performance and social commitment.
- The multi-aged classes are organized to accommodate the wide range of developmental levels common among young children.
- The classes encourage a cooperative learning environment, where children become more accepting of their strengths and weaknesses and learn from each other.
- In this setting, students advance at rates which match their individual developmental abilities.
- We strive to prepare an environment where children's self-esteem is fostered, where students are prepared to meet the challenges of a complex world, and where children are empowered, academically, emotionally, and socially, to become strong members of the school and the world communities in which they live.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||96 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 18%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||13 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- Why Choose TJS
- Experiential Learning
- The Jefferson School excels in the area of integration of curriculum and in providing "hands-on" learning experiences for its students at their appropriate developmental level. Our students actively participate in their education. We believe that children learn best while observing, listening and taking part in group discussions and projects that engage all their senses.
- Small Classes
- Our commitment to small classes fosters cooperation and respect, allowing our students to become members of a community of learners. We encourage personal relationships between teachers, students and fellow students by allowing them to interact in classrooms with a teacher-student ratio that averages 1:10.
- Responsible Self-Starters
- Students are encouraged to schedule their time, arrange their day, and to complete their assigned and selected work. As a result of these efforts, our students develop a high level of self-discipline, responsibility and maturity.
- Culture of Respect
- One of the most important aspects of TJS is our culture of respect. We believe so strongly that this one standard encompasses all others, we choose to constantly affirm that "Respect Is The Rule" of The Jefferson School.
- We follow the Five Rules of Respect:
- 1. Try to be your best self.
- 2. Use your manners - be polite
- 3. Be responsible for your words
- 4. Be responsible for your actions
- 5. Treat everyone with the same consideration
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Berlin Grades: PK-12 | 465 students
508 S Main St
Berlin, MD 21811
(410)641-3575 29 PK-12
After 4 years at The Jefferson School, I can say with certainty that this is the best educational experience we could find for our son. We feel that the curiosity the school encourages, the ability to experience a more individualized education experience, and the deep sense of community we have found at TJS is priceless. No other school offers the Environmental Science and Outdoor Learning opportunities that TJS does, and we believe that is special! Additional subjects like Art, PE, Health, Spanish, and Performing Arts are experienced weekly, sometimes twice a week. We do not believe that private school is always better than public, but this school is different, and for us it is worth every penny!
- Posted by Parent - LesleyE
Promoting a happy, healthy, emotionally grounded childhood experience with a love of learning is our top priority as a parent and as a therapist and teacher by background. Our child has been attending the Jefferson School for four years. There are several specific things that we find very helpful for the learning experience: small class sizes with teacher: student ratio that is conducive to learning and individualized attention when needed, increased opportunities for outdoor play and breaks that are more realistic to 7 hours of learning, and personable staff that are open to learning and responding to new research and evidence-based practice. There have been a few bumps in the road and challenges, as there are in life, and these were met with open conversation and problem-solving. The school and headmaster truly want what is best for the child. My child is thriving in this environment and learning in a well-rounded way!
- Posted by Parent - A Child's Potential
We love TJS! My daughter has been there since Kindergarten and is currently in 5th grade. She loves school! The kids spend as much time as possible outside and the learning is hands-on and very engaging. Student curiosity is nurtured and a love of learning is instilled. The classes are small and the teaching approach is tailored to each child based on their current needs and abilities. They have Spanish, Art, Music, and PE twice a week and health once a week. They learn compassion, respect, mindfulness, and effective study and test-taking skills. There is a school-wide holistic approach to teaching so that students are learning about topics across multiple subjects. The 43-acre campus is gorgeous, with a 1-mile wooded hiking trail, two ponds to study, multiple outdoor classrooms, goats, chickens, gardens and a greenhouse. There is no place like it! Attending TJS has been a wonderful experience for my daughter and she has grown so much socially, emotionally, and academically because of the school.
- Posted by Parent - TammyM
I love Jefferson School! The teachers are friendly and helpful. We have animals (goats and chickens), a nature trail, two ponds, outdoor science and we are expanding. We have a new building being built for middle school classes with a gym and stage. We are small and everyone knows one another. The principal is outstanding.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Aidan L.
This is my 4 yr old twins first year at The Jefferson School. A little known jewel in Georgetown. We travel 30miles to the school and it is worth every mile. Small student to teacher ratio, hands on learning, and spectacular teachers who are energetic, creative and dedicated. We are so happy that we found TJS and hope look forward to the next 8 years with them.
- Posted by Parent - DinaR
Most private schools have endowment funds. We explain how these work and why schools are fortunate to have them in tough times.
COVID-19 has turned education at every level upside-down, inside-out. We offer some steps to guide your planning for academic year 2020-21.
Teachers and parents are concerned about the teaching that will take place post-pandemic. I have tried to cover their concerns in the following set of questions and answers.