The Pilot School
- Founded in 1957, The Pilot School is an independent therapeutic day school for children ages five through fourteen with normal intellectual potential who experience language based learning differences.
- The program is individualized for each student, whole child centered, and taught in small groups utilizing diagnostic/prescriptive teaching.
- The student to teacher ratio is 5:1. Strengths are challenged and utilized every day.
- Emphasis on the mastery of foundation skills including auditory and visual perceptual, motor, listening, speaking, and social skills, supports growth in reading, mathematics, spelling, thinking, reasoning, and written expression.
- The goal is to return students to regular education as independent, active learners who are able to perform successfully at their chronological grade level.
- Three to five years is the approximate length of time students are enrolled.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Council for Exceptional Children|
National Association of Private Special Education Centers
National Association for the Education of Young Children
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia, ADD, ADHD, Language-Based|
|Total Students||150 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 26%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||30 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$29,400|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition includes all in-school therapies.|
|Total Sports Offered||1 sports|
|Sports||Intramural Sports OnlyIntramural Sports Only|
- On site therapeutic support includes physical, occupational, speech, language, and music therapies, a therapeutic art program, adaptive physical education, a nurse, counselor, and school psychologist. Science, social studies, swimming, physical education, library, and technology round out each child's program.
- A variety of both specialized and regular education programs are available in order to meet each child's individual learning strengths and challenges.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- WilmingtonGrades: PK-12 | 100 students
6201 Kennett Pike
Wilmington, DE 19807
- MalvernGrades: PK-12 | 270 students
1777 N. Valley Road
Malvern, PA 19355
- ConshohockenGrades: 1-12 | 341 students
1200 River Road
Conshohocken, PA 19428
- MediaGrades: 1-8 | 181 students
2107 North Providence Road
Media, PA 19063
- HavertownGrades: 1-8 | 30 students
2000 Old West Chester Pike
Havertown, PA 19083
January 22, 2018
Part of the private school selection process is financial aid. We point out five issues about which you should be aware.
January 22, 2018
Changes to the Tax Code in late 2017 included the addition of saving for K-12 private school education to 529 plans. We take a look at what this means for families thinking about private school for their children.
January 22, 2018
Depending on their family circumstances, our Presidents received a wide range of primary and secondary schooling.