Haleakala Waldorf School
- Haleakala Waldorf School strives through the arts to help Maui's children reach their potential by fostering a love of learning and by developing their intellectual, emotional, physical, and spiritual capacities.
- Developed by Rudolf Steiner in 1919, Waldorf education is based on a developmental approach that addresses the needs of the growing child.
- Waldorf teachers strive to transform education into an art that educates the whole child---the heart and the hands, as well as the head.
- Waldorf Education approaches all aspects of schooling in a unique and comprehensive way.
- The curriculum is designed to meet the various stages of child development, and Waldorf teachers are dedicated to creating a genuine inner enthusiasm for learning, that is essential for educational success.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Waldorf Schools of North America|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Waldorf Early Childhood Association of North America
Hawaii Association of Independent Schools (HAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Total Students||277 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 74%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||18 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||15:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||25 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 16 / Apr. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$13,900|
|Tuition Notes||15,500 grades 9-12 13,900 grades 1-8 12,400 FT PS and K|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$4,100|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Paula Berdal|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Surf Team, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,|
Surf Team, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||34 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
art club, Book Club, Music Club, Ping Pong Club, Social Acceptance Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Acrylics, Calligraphy, Ceramics, Choir, Drama, Drawing, Illustration, Jewelry Making, Lost Wax Jewelry Making, Mask-Making, Mixed Media, Music History, Oils, Pastels, Pottery, Print Making, Sculpture, Watercolor Painting
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Basketball, Beach Volleyball, Bicycling, Cross Country, Mountain Biking, Paddling, Surfing, Tennis, volleyball, Windsurfing, Yoga
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Makawao Grades: NS-8 | 268 students
2933 Baldwin Ave
Makawao, HI 96768
(808)573-0374 7.2 NS-8
- Kihei Grades: NS-7 | 58 students
100 Kulanihakoi Street
Kihei, HI 96753
(808)874-7441 8.4 NS-7
- Makawao Grades: 6-12 | 438 students
480 Olinda Road
Makawao, HI 96768
(808)572-7235 5.3 6-12
If you have a child who sings, you might want to consider a choir school. In the United States, most of these schools are day schools.
It seems to be highly likely that the COVID-19 virus will spread to the United States. We look at step schools and parents can take to protect themselves from this highly contagious virus.
This article aggregates all the articles I have written about running a small private school. Use it as a handbook and a reminder of things you should look at from time to time.