Bridgeport International Academy
- Bridgeport International Academy (BIA) is a private,nonsectarian, college preparatory, boarding and day high schoolwith an international student body and faculty.
- Located adjacent to the seaside campus of the University ofBridgeport, the Academy offers a strong college preparatorycurriculum for grades 9 through 12, with the opportunity forstudents to take college courses and use universityfacilities.
- The three pillars that form BIA`s identity, mission, values,and climate are academic excellence, moral development, and aglobal perspective.(http://www.bridgeportinternationalacademy.org/images/stories/PDFs/profile.pdf).
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||New England Association of Schools and Colleges|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Total Students||62 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 25%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||10 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Average SAT score||1150|
|Average ACT score||25|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Uniform: Polo shirt & khaki pants)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 1 / May. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$7,900|
|Tuition Notes||Please contact us directly for international rate|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Dr. Frank LaGrotteria|
|Admissions Associate||Dr. Frederick Swarts|
|Total Sports Offered||1 sport|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||6 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Anime Club, Drama Club, Enrichment Program, Music, National Honor Society, Student Council
BIA is fully accredited by the New England Association of Schoolsand Colleges (NEASC), the nation`s oldest accrediting body forpublic and independent schools, colleges and universities. BIA alsohas state approval as a nonpublic school by the State ofConnecticut. In addition, the Academy has approval from theDepartment of Homeland Security of the U.S. government to issueI-20 forms in order for international students to obtain F-1non-immigrant, student visas.
BIA has a diverse, coed student body with students from throughoutthe world and various states in the United States, as well as fromthe Bridgeport, CT area. In any given year, between one-third and45 percent of the student body attends from nations outside the US.In the past two years, students have attended BIA from 15 countriesin Asia, Australia, Africa, Europe, the Caribbean, Central America,Middle East, and South America.
- College preparatory high school
- Academic excellence
- Experience a global community in high school
- Faculty and students from nearly every continent of theworld
- Access to university facilities and courses
- Opportunity to take college courses while in high school
- Character education and community service
- Seeks to instill in each student respect for others,inter-cultural understanding,and responsibility for theenvironment
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Fairfield Grades: 9-12 | 523 students
220 Jefferson St
Fairfield, CT 06825
(203) 372-6521 4.9 9-12
- East Haddam Grades: 8-12 | 85 students
140 River Road
East Haddam, CT 06423
(860) 873-2700 43.4 8-12
My daughter is the 10th grade in the school. She became much happier and looks brighter than the time she used to be in a public school. She talks about her friends all the time, and more focused on her studies. She developed a good study habit. They offer safe and good academic atmosphere.
- Posted by Parent - sigma
My son attended BIA for the 11th and 12th grades. He had been in what was considered to be a very good public school in Pennsylvania, but BIA proved to be a much better school in several respects. For one, he completed four college courses while at BIA (Arabic I and II, Psychology, English) and had access to the university facilities, including their cafeteria, gym, and library. The arts at BIA proved to be exceptional, and he got to perform in two plays, which were presented at the big and well-equipped Mertens Theatre on the university. The he got into an Ivy League school, which was not even a dream when he was in the public school (and the school accepted all of his college credits from when he was in high school). Beyond this, the environment was great, with wonderful kids and a very safe environment. Highly recommend this school.
- Posted by Parent - fswar