- CGS Preschool-JK program provides a loving and caring experience inspired by Reggio Emilia approach to early education.
- CGS provides a rigorous classical liberal arts education that teaches children to think. CGS is unique in that it provides a classical liberal arts education beginning in elementary school.
- The CGS motto, Sapere Aude-Dare to Know, represents both the process and the endpoint of a classical liberal arts education. Rather than waiting until high school or college, CGS students form the mindset for critical thinking and learn cultural literacy from the very beginning of their educational journey.
- They are taught the integrative nature of knowledge. Their broad education includes history, literature, art, and the systematic natures of language (English, Latin and Spanish), as well as math, science, and logic.
- This rigorous curriculum, with a well defined program for the development of critical thinking, is designed to create the global leaders of tomorrow.
- The children`s education is further enhanced with both national and international travel.
- The CGS program is well designed for the academically talented or gifted student.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||80 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 31%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||13 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$22,080|
|Tuition Notes||$16,170 for half day preschool.|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$10,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Phillip D. Jackson|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||15 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Chess, Computer Programming, Cooking Club, Dance Club, Fitness, Floor Hockey, Forensics Club, Latin Classics Team, Music Lessons, STEM Fun, Soccer, Spanish Club, Spanish Guitar, Swim Club, Tae Kwon Do Chess, Cooking Club, Dance Club, Fitness, Floor Hockey, Forensics Club, Music Lessons, STEM Fun, Soccer, Spanish Club, Spanish Guitar, Swim Club, Tae Kwon Do, Computer Programming,
Latin Classics Team,
- The Chicago Grammar School seeks to admit students from families who are committed to partnering with CGS educators for the purpose of the academic, social and emotional development of their children.
People that viewed Chicago Grammar School also viewed these schools: The Latin School Of Chicago, The Catherine Cook School, British International School of Chicago, Lincoln Park, Francis W Parker School and Rippowam Cisqua School.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
ChicagoGrades: PK-12 | 1130 students
59 W North Blvd
Chicago, IL 60610
ChicagoGrades: NS-8 | 569 students
226 W Schiller St
Chicago, IL 60610
ChicagoGrades: NS-5 | 521 students
814 W. Eastman Street
Chicago, IL 60642
ChicagoGrades: PK-12 | 907 students
330 W Webster Ave
Chicago, IL 60614
BedfordGrades: PK-9 | 506 students
439 Cantitoe St PO Box 488
Bedford, NY 10506
This is our second year at CGS and if you are looking for a private school for your child, CGS should be on your must see list. CGS is nine years old and is graduating their first class of 8th graders in 2014. All should go to the best high schools in Chicago. Class sizes are small, none over 15, so your child will get more attention. That is what we feel we are paying for. From the first grade, your child will have more than one teacher who is teaching their specialty. Another plus. Our headmaster, Mr. Jackson comes from a special needs background, so it is an excellent choice if your child is smart, but has some challenges. Our daughter she needs a lot of repetition especially with math. With the small class sizes, she is getting that at CGS. We had her tested this summer and discovered that even though she was in the "lower" groups for reading and math, she is reading more than two grades above level and her math was also above grade level after only one year at the school. The fact a child reading over two grades above grade level was in the lower group, also speaks about the student quality. If you want your child challenged, this is the place. If you want to go to work and brag how your child is a straight A student and the smartest in their class. Good luck at CGS. Now to why this school is not for you. We are in an office building. If looks matter, go to British, Cook or Parker with their beautiful campuses. Sports, we do not have a volleyball or basketball team. This apparently is a big deal to many in Chicago at the elementary level and why some parents do not choose CGS or use as an excuse to leave. At CGS, the parents make sports happen, We have the only traveling snow sports club with its own ski school at any school in Chicago, a Taekwondo Grand Master teaching in our after school program as well as weekly yoga and swim club in our after school program. Other student are excelling in hockey, figure skating and golf outside of school. So we are a very sports conscious and active school. There is a music school upstairs that will pick up your child from after school for their lessons. How great is that. We are a private, for profit school. What does that mean. To me, the best part of all, no giving fund or annoying fundraisers. Both my spouse and I are self employed and have work commitments 7 days a week. We do not have the time to sell chocolate, or mattresses like was expected at our daughter's former school. Your tuition might seem higher than your friends at FXW, Old St. Mary's or Urban Prairie, but those schools have "mandatory" giving and/or significant pressure to make large purchases at their fundraisers, so in the end we are about the same amount out of pocket. There is no other school in Chicago we would rather be at, my only wish is we had a High School :-)
- Posted by Parent - maryl
April 21, 2017
Making your job application easy to read will help your application make the first cut.
April 20, 2017
Private high schools offer strong college counseling programs which are ongoing and fully integrated into the daily activities.
April 19, 2017
As you narrow the field in your private school search process, you will develop a short list of three to five schools which you will evaluate in detail. Visiting each school is an essential part of your due diligence.