Des Moines Christian School
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||1,017 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 14%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||90 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||11:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Number of AP Courses||4 courses|
|Advanced Courses||Calculus, Chemistry, Literature & Composition, U.S. History|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- At Des Moines Christian School, our mission is to equip minds and nurture hearts to impact the world for Jesus Christ. This mission has been going strong in central Iowa for over 70 years and and currently impacts over a thousand students each day. We seek to integrate our mission into every aspect of our school; academics, athletics, fine arts, leadership development and service.
- One of the things that makes DMCS so special is its sense of community. We have students, faculty, administrators, and families who embrace our mission and seek its growth in quality and effectiveness. Our teachers love each of their students well, and our educators enjoy tremendous support from our parents.
- We are united in mission, but recognize the incredible uniqueness of God's creation. If you walk into our facility or receive an email from us, you will notice the phrase, Many Minds, One Mission. We know that each child is a special creation of God; different in gifts, talents, and interests. Our faculty is committed to continuous growth and improvement to meets the needs of each of their students, so they in turn can develop unique gifting to not only reach their full potential, but impact the world around them for Christ.
- Des Moines Christian's greatest differentiator has always been an education that includes and seeks to honor Jesus Christ. You won't find perfect people or programs, but I think you will discover a community of Christ followers committed to academic and spiritual growth. And discover a pursuit of excellence here that is growing, changing, and improving the educational opportunities for our students, all for the glory of Christ.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Ankeny Grades: PK-12 | 368 students
1604 West 1st St
Ankeny, IA 50023
(515) 965-8114 11.6 PK-12
- Urbandale Grades: PK-8 | 363 students
3601 66th Street
Urbandale, IA 50322
(515) 276-1061 4.7 PK-8
- Alton Grades: PK-6 | 54 students
908 6th Ave
Alton, IA 51003
(712) 756-4532 147.2 PK-6
- Atkins Grades: PK-8 | 185 students
310 3rd Street W
Atkins, IA 52206
(319) 223-5271 99.4 PK-8
DMCS is a very warm and welcoming school... there are many good things about the environment. However, the upper level academics are lacking. There are few AP classes, no "honors" differentiated classes, and very little variety in most subjects. It's also bothersome that in many cases, real science is not taught... things are generally presented from a "young earth" and literal six-day creation viewpoint, and science that falls outside of that is generally refuted, often with Answers in Genesis materials. It does STEM kids a disservice to have these limitations. Not trying to bash the school, but an honest concern to point out that it's not for everyone.
- Posted by Parent - clr_1
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.