Des Moines Christian School
- Top Ranked IA School
- Grades: Prekindergarten-12
- Students: 1,017 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 16%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
Number of AP Courses
Calculus, Chemistry, Literature & Composition, U.S. History
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
- At Des Moines Christian School, our mission is to equip minds and nurture hearts to impact the world for Jesus Christ. This mission has been going strong in central Iowa for over 70 years and and currently impacts over a thousand students each day. We seek to integrate our mission into every aspect of our school; academics, athletics, fine arts, leadership development and service.
- One of the things that makes DMCS so special is its sense of community. We have students, faculty, administrators, and families who embrace our mission and seek its growth in quality and effectiveness. Our teachers love each of their students well, and our educators enjoy tremendous support from our parents.
- We are united in mission, but recognize the incredible uniqueness of God's creation. If you walk into our facility or receive an email from us, you will notice the phrase, Many Minds, One Mission. We know that each child is a special creation of God; different in gifts, talents, and interests. Our faculty is committed to continuous growth and improvement to meets the needs of each of their students, so they in turn can develop unique gifting to not only reach their full potential, but impact the world around them for Christ.
- Des Moines Christian's greatest differentiator has always been an education that includes and seeks to honor Jesus Christ. You won't find perfect people or programs, but I think you will discover a community of Christ followers committed to academic and spiritual growth. And discover a pursuit of excellence here that is growing, changing, and improving the educational opportunities for our students, all for the glory of Christ.
DMCS is a very warm and welcoming school... there are many good things about the environment. However, the upper level academics are lacking. There are few AP classes, no "honors" differentiated classes, and very little variety in most subjects. It's also bothersome that in many cases, real science is not taught... things are generally presented from a "young earth" and literal six-day creation viewpoint, and science that falls outside of that is generally refuted, often with Answers in Genesis materials. It does STEM kids a disservice to have these limitations. Not trying to bash the school, but an honest concern to point out that it's not for everyone.
Endorse Des Moines Christian School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Books Set In Private Schools
Enjoy a range of subject matter from recollections to murder mysteries, all set in private schools here at home and abroad.
Keep Ransomware Out of Your School
Small organizations like private schools are just as vulnerable to ransomware attacks as large organizations are. Here's how to deal with ransomware in your school.
Endow A Teaching Position
Endowing a teaching position accomplishes many things for the private school that gave you the foundation for your adult life.