- ABOUT US Founded in 1988, Excelsior Academy is a non-profit school dedicated to serving K-12 students with learning disabilities throughout San Diego County.
- Our Mission is to provide a safe and nurturing environment wherein students become literate, thinking, independent and productive citizens.
- Excelsior Academy has been recognized as a National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence, National School of Character and is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||California Association of Private Special Education Schools (CAPSES)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||ADD, ADHD, Autism, Mild Learning Differences|
|Awards||Blue Ribbon School - Selected in n/a|
|Total Students||52 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||6 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||9 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Admissions Director||Katie Wilson|
|Admissions Associate||Jeannie Bailey|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Flag Football, Soccer, SoftballBasketball, Flag Football,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||13 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Aquaponics/Gardening Club, Board Game Club, Relaxation Club, Yearbook Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Basketball, Cross Country, Flag Football, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Volleyball, Yoga
- As a private, nonpublic school, Excelsior serves students with learning differences in the San Diego area. Founded in 1988 and certified by the State of California, the Academy is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. Excelsior students are of average and above average intelligence in grades kindergarten through twelve whose needs fall within the areas of processing, memory, language, organization, attention, and socialization. The majority of Excelsior students have the potential to attend college. Consequently, the goals of the school are to guide students to understand their learning styles and learning differences and to achieve academic success, thereby realizing their potential.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- San Diego Grades: 9-12 | 74 students
2255 Camino Del Rio S
San Diego, CA 92108
(619)243-1329 5.7 9-12
- Poway Grades: K-8
12285 Oak Knoll Rd
Poway, CA 92064
(858)679-5744 13.1 K-8
- La Mesa Grades: NS-8 | 322 students
7929 La Mesa Blvd
La Mesa, CA 91941
(619)462-5211 1 NS-8
You have just heard about a new private school opening soon in your area. Should you consider sending your child there? A look at the pros and cons of such a decision.
If you know the answers to all these questions, you probably teach or work in a private school. Be that as it may, these questions contain links with the answers.
As you evaluate schools, take time to explore fully what the schools which you are looking at teach.